Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-0!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yup, so far we've been facing some offensively challenged teams.

TB's offensive is spring loaded and you can count on Ontario boy Steven Stamkos to gun hard for a couple of goals.

One of the first real tests for Carlyle's new defensive system, in my opinion.

Agreed .. Gotta win more faceoffs tomorrow night, and avoid get hemmed in the offensive zone .. Most importantly it's to not turn the puck over while breaking out of the zone, Leafs have been guilty of that the last couple of games but have contained the situation

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
Florida look dreadful tonight, coughing up chances and no finish.

Leafs did what they had to do and squashed them. I don't think Tampa will go down as easy.

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
Can't wait for tomorrow night now. The way the team is playing they've got a solid chance to win any game against any team (except Carolina apparently).

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
TSN just said the Leafs have only allowed 16 goals in their last 10 games...wow I didn't release it was so few.

Makes games much easier to win when you're only giving up an avg of 1.6 a game. Solid goal tending + solid defense baby!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's funny that Phaneuf is average sized on our D-corps.

Liles and Gunnar less effective than the big boys in this system. Dion played a very solid game, he used his stick well, and the setup on 7 11 Kadri, was nice.

I had reservations of having Rielly on this team this year, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea. RC's system provides support to defenders, thinking Rielly should join the big team and not the Marlies if it is possible after the WHL season.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Didn't look pretty in that first period. But steady play by Scrivens and a solid game plan and execution made it look easy at the end.

Last year we were looking desperately for a goalie, center and #1 on D.

What do they do? Stay pat in goal. Sign McClement. Recycle Orr. Bring up some youngsters on defence and forward and away we go! Lol!

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Liles and Gunnar less effective than the big boys in this system. Dion played a very solid game, he used his stick well, and the setup on 7 11 Kadri, was nice.

I had reservations of having Rielly on this team this year, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea. RC's system provides support to defenders, thinking Rielly should join the big team and not the Marlies if it is possible after the WHL season.

Wrong. The kid played 18 games last year. If he makes the team next year so be it.

caramelontop

Feb 12, 2013
Thunder Bay
Everyone is playing solid here. I wonder how Tampa must be feeling about this leafs team? We think they're a tough team to beat and they must think the same about us. I think they're more worried about an awesome road team visiting them than leafs thinking of almighty lightning. I like how our team on road is scaring off home teams.
I read all the pages on this thread but no mention of the fact that leafs had lost 5 straight in Florida and it was the first win in six games in panthers cage. Go leafs. I think we will win in Tampa.

Penalty Kill Icing*

On the contrary, I'd say take him to Marlies. Let him be there for a year under Eakins. Look at what Fraser, Kostka, Holzer have learnt under Eakins. He just might be the best thing to happen to Rielly.

And when he plays for Leafs, he'll be just raring to go.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wrong. The kid played 18 games last year. If he makes the team next year so be it.

So little confidence in Rielly? The Leafs did the right thing letting him play at the Worlds and the WHL, but it's no big secret he could have made the team at training camp, fast forward a season in the WHL, and more maturity, he's probably better now than after the Worlds. He's really upped his game of late trying to get Moose Jaw into the playoffs as futile as it is.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Tampa's 5 points behind the Leafs with two games in hand ... Really big for the Leafs to pick up a win in regulation tomorrow to keep ahead of the pack

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On the contrary, I'd say take him to Marlies. Let him be there for a year under Eakins. Look at what Fraser, Kostka, Holzer have learnt under Eakins. He just might be the best thing to happen to Rielly.

We'll see, if we are in a playoff race or actually make it, he may be the most impactful player we have that is not a trade. I wouldn't rule it out, this is an elite player the Leafs thought was the best in the 2012 draft. I like the one year he got in the WHL, he's picked it up of late, he may be ready more now than 5 months ago.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
The D look good, the thing I notice is just how big Holzer, Franson, Fraser are back there. Really changes the complexion for forwards going into our zone.

And they have long active sticks. We have come a long way from Kabele who was too lazy to even make a stick check in front of the net. I hear he plays with a short stick. :D

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
So little confidence in Rielly? The Leafs did the right thing letting him play at the Worlds and the WHL, but it's no big secret he could have made the team at training camp, fast forward a season in the WHL, and more maturity, he's probably better now than after the Worlds. He's really upped his game of late trying to get Moose Jaw into the playoffs as futile as it is.
I wouldn't be opposed if the only reason against the idea is how much hockey he played last year. He's basically been playing hockey since July with the Leafs rookie camp, then the subway series, and then his regular season. That's plenty of development time for a player of his caliber IMO. Besides, Gally barely played last year too right?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

What is the positive of MJ not trading him? They're going to miss the PO and their owner/GM/whatever it is called in Junior said he is not going to be traded... If they had traded him he would've brought back a ransom, the team would've finished lower in the standings (hence get a better pick), and they'll lose him at the end of the year anyways...

I don't follow them at all and don't know if there are some pros to keeping him that I don't know of as I barely follow any junior teams and don't know the structure of the league.

edit: Not really directed at you, your post just made me think about it.

Last edited:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

No way will Reilly see anytime with the Marlies other than after his WHL season(s) are over. He would still have another full WHL season and then to the Marlies. Unless he regresses big time I don't see him in the AHL for a full season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wouldn't be opposed if the only reason against the idea is how much hockey he played last year. He's basically been playing hockey since July with the Leafs rookie camp, then the subway series, and then his regular season. That's plenty of development time for a player of his caliber IMO. Besides, Gally barely played last year too right?

If there is a weakness on our team it's the PP, maybe we can break him in slowly, I'm not big on Liles, and Gunnar doesn't seem as valuable in the RC style of team.

Rielly can fill in for Liles or Gunnar. None of he other guys deserve to lose a spot with the way they are playing. Break him in on the 3rd unit under sheltered mins and utilize him on the PP. I am certain he would be the best PP d men in the system right now.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008

That isn't it at all. I am so sick and tired of this team bringing guys to play when they weren't ready. Eakins will let the Leafs know when he is ready. Or perhaps RC will see it himself. But I am betting they will not be in a hurry to force him if he is not ready.

As another pointed out look at the progress guys like Gardiner, Holzer made in the minors.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs defence and Scrivens going up against Stamkos and the highest scoring team in the NHL.

I hope they bring their "A" game tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad