Friedman: Leafs willing to move 1st round pick.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stopper420

Feb 24, 2015
Most Leaf fans aren't going to like this.

On the most recent 32 thoughts podcast Friedman that the Maple Leafs are in fact willing to move their 1st round pick, there had been speculation that Treliving did not want to move the 1st round pick prior to Friedman report.

What he did say was that they didn't want to move their 1st round pick for pure rental, he said that if they are going to trade it they wanted to try and get a couple of players, he brought of Tanev and Zadorov as an example he said that when they were trying to acquire both Tanev and Zadorov their 1st round pick was in play.

He mentioned a package of Tanev and Markstrom as an Example.

He made it sound if Toronto is going to do something It's going to be fairly big.

Speaking of Tanev he also said he didn't think Vancouver could do it.

And brought up a potential Tanev and Hanifin package.

I don't know you do it because you'd have to match salaries, but if there was a way to land both Tanev and Markstrom there isn't much I wouldn't put on the table.

I feel like goaltending is What's holding this team back, I feel like It's cost them close to 15 points.

Samsonov has been AWFUL the majority of the year

Woll looked promising but then he got hurt, he's been hurt for 2 months and by all accounts he's out at least another month

Martin Jones has been solid but he's also Martin Jones.

There has also been rumours of Treliving wanting Risto out of Philadelphia, maybe he tries to get Risto and Seeler, or Risto and Walker.

Or maybe he tries his other former team and targets Dumba and Vejmelka, we know for a fact he tried to sign Dumba in the Summer but Dumba wanted 5 years so they went with Klingberg which started off good and then didn't work at all.

I thought they might keep their 1st this year and I'm good with that if they do.

But it doesn't sound like they will, or at least don't want to and I'm good with that too, as long as the player has term or signs an extension.
Glad you are not a GM for what you suggested for a trade

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If we got a first and knies for markstrom and tanev I'd forgive Brad for like half of his screw ups

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
If we got a first and knies for markstrom and tanev I'd forgive Brad for like half of his screw ups
I like Tanev, but HELL NO to Markstrom and I wouldn't trade a 1st for either of them let alone throw in Knies for both of them. Why trade for an average at best goalie who hasn't looked great for much of his career and has battled consistency problems and why trade for a good Dman that could be nearing the end of his career and be declining?

If Brad ever does a deal like that he should get fired ASAP. If the Leafs are going to trade a 1st at least trade it for a in their prime Tanev type of player rather than Tanev himself who's nearing the end of his career looking for one last payday.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I like Tanev, but HELL NO to Markstrom and I wouldn't trade a 1st for either of them let alone throw in Knies for both of them. Why trade for an average at best goalie who hasn't looked great for much of his career and has battled consistency problems and why trade for a good Dman that could be nearing the end of his career and be declining?

If Brad ever does a deal like that he should get fired ASAP. If the Leafs are going to trade a 1st at least trade it for a in their prime Tanev type of player rather than Tanev himself who's nearing the end of his career looking for one last payday.

You're in for a bumpy f***ing ride over the next few years haha

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Seems like every other player wants to play for the Maple Leafs, and I'm not surprised. Now that we know the 1st round pick is in play, here's a trade I'd be willing to make:

TOR: Sidney Crosby
PIT: Matty Knies, 1st

Pens are shite this year. Everyone knows this. GM Corsi King should do the right thing and set Sidney free. He would instantly demote Johnny to the 3rd line, where he belongs. This is a trade forged in the depths of HELL. With this one simple move, Toronto ensures the Cup win.
lol, good luck with that proposal.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You think Savard at 50% is not worth a late first ?
Gezzzz HF people sometimes
Just remember 18 point Knies is worth a 1st and 2nd...so by that reasoning Savard is worth a 4th rounder. WITH 80% retention.

There wont be much to talk about that makes sense...

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I’m totally fine giving up a 1rst, but the target needs some term.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
iu

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I had a whacky proposal a while back of

josh norris + chychrun + kubalik (50% retained)
for
Tavares + 2 firsts (2024, 2026) + knies.

Then the sens would flip JT (50% retained) for a first to another team.

Pipe dream given JT's NMC. But maybe not as it would allow him to go on the lam from revenue canada.

Last edited:

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
The Leafs need cap going out so let's look at the most likelt potential cap casualties:

Brodie - no way a team in the playoffs is trading their top 4 d-man even if he is a pending UFA
Bertuzzi or Domi - trading a guy who you only signed in the summer isn't a good look for a new GM.
Reaves - not much in cost but the term makes it unattractive for teams. A UFA and he'd be ideal but the other team involved in a trade won't be begging to take him.
Samonov - a relatively cheap goalie would need to be coming back.
Liljegren - you'd need a very cheap player back to replace him but he should be available if an upgrade is there.

They may be able to trade one of their LTIR contracts like Muzzin to help their cap situation as they currently have $15m on LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad