Friedman: Leafs willing to move 1st round pick.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Most Leaf fans aren't going to like this.

On the most recent 32 thoughts podcast Friedman that the Maple Leafs are in fact willing to move their 1st round pick, there had been speculation that Treliving did not want to move the 1st round pick prior to Friedman report.

What he did say was that they didn't want to move their 1st round pick for pure rental, he said that if they are going to trade it they wanted to try and get a couple of players, he brought of Tanev and Zadorov as an example he said that when they were trying to acquire both Tanev and Zadorov their 1st round pick was in play.

He mentioned a package of Tanev and Markstrom as an Example.

He made it sound if Toronto is going to do something It's going to be fairly big.

Speaking of Tanev he also said he didn't think Vancouver could do it.

And brought up a potential Tanev and Hanifin package.

I don't know you do it because you'd have to match salaries, but if there was a way to land both Tanev and Markstrom there isn't much I wouldn't put on the table.

I feel like goaltending is What's holding this team back, I feel like It's cost them close to 15 points.

Samsonov has been AWFUL the majority of the year

Woll looked promising but then he got hurt, he's been hurt for 2 months and by all accounts he's out at least another month

Martin Jones has been solid but he's also Martin Jones.

There has also been rumours of Treliving wanting Risto out of Philadelphia, maybe he tries to get Risto and Seeler, or Risto and Walker.

Or maybe he tries his other former team and targets Dumba and Vejmelka, we know for a fact he tried to sign Dumba in the Summer but Dumba wanted 5 years so they went with Klingberg which started off good and then didn't work at all.

I thought they might keep their 1st this year and I'm good with that if they do.

But it doesn't sound like they will, or at least don't want to and I'm good with that too, as long as the player has term or signs an extension.
You think goaltending is what is keeping them from being the best team in the league? lol

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Up until about 2 weeks ago Samsonov had an 862 save%.
Hard to play in front of a bad goalie. Guys tend to run around trying to do too much. They get stretched out too in the D zone trying to prevent shots that aren’t high danger. Bad goalies make a mess.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
....... Are we even in a position to spend more? at some point we have to restock the cupboards.
year after year after year of spending should have caught up to us by now.

All this spending year after year should have resulted in at least one deep run, but nope. Leafs now have barely any assets to upgrade anything and way too much money tied up in 3 players with nothing to really show for it in the playoffs. This is not directed at you, Arthur, just in general: it doesn't matter what they add or don't add, the core players need to step up big time when it matters. All of this spending in the past proves that it doesn't matter what you add on the periphery. Only the core players can lead you anywhere. And they have not yet. That's why I oppose any more big trade deadline moves. Spend a 1st round pick on Tanev, so what? He doesn't move the needle.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Problem is idk that there is enough cap after the core to get much more than dead weight, and the ones that do well end up needing too much money to keep and get moved

I have to imagine they could do a lot better than this.

Would it be enough? I don't know either....

At this point I'm open to changing whatever we need to change. Would trading Marner result in a better team around Matthews/Nylander/Rielly?

As that relates back to the thread topic....not sure the deadline is the time to make those sorts of moves from a buyer perspective. It might make more sense to put the 1st in play at the draft if this is the level of change we're thinking of making.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
They need a couple of scorers, a couple of defensemen, and a goalie. Let’s see if they can get them all in a package for a 1st and fit them under the cap.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I have to imagine they could do a lot better than this.

Would it be enough? I don't know either....

At this point I'm open to changing whatever we need to change. Would trading Marner result in a better team around Matthews/Nylander/Rielly?
That all depends on what you get back from marner + moves after that.

I think some of that cap space allocated to a younger defensemen would go a long way

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Leaf fans that are against trading a 1st are weird

Why? What has trading their first in the past done? Let the core prove that they can carry the team. So far, that has not happened. They got plenty of help at the deadline before in previous years. Why should the Leafs waste anymore of their precious assets? They will because they are a dumb organization.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
It better be for Saros or I’m not interested.

Knowing Treliving, he’ll do something dumb and trade it for his boy in Calgary Tanev.
Yep wouldn't surprise me. Trade for an overaged defensemen who I give credit has stayed healthy in Calgary but while in Vancouver always injured. He's not going to put you over the top. More problems on this team than their D and no way of fixing it unless one of the big 4 go.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I guess a season is never complete without the Leafs trading their 1st away lol.

I think we all liked Tres 1st round pick last year, personally I would like to see another because this team doesn't look good enough to win imo. Will trading a 1st + catapult this team back to being contenders? I really don't know.

I could invision a scenario where you look to get Tanev + Markstrom because the team has holes in net and defensively. Now Woll was pretty good, but how he comes back from injury is anybodies question.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I guess a season is never complete without the Leafs trading their 1st away lol.

I think we all liked Tres 1st round pick last year, personally I would like to see another because this team doesn't look good enough to win imo. Will trading a 1st + catapult this team back to being contenders? I really don't know.

Depends on the return

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I have no problem with the Leafs trading their first. I have a big problem with the guy that gets to make that decision though. I have absolutely zero faith in Treliving's ability to make smart moves.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Seems like every other player wants to play for the Maple Leafs, and I'm not surprised. Now that we know the 1st round pick is in play, here's a trade I'd be willing to make:

TOR: Sidney Crosby
PIT: Matty Knies, 1st

Pens are shite this year. Everyone knows this. GM Corsi King should do the right thing and set Sidney free. He would instantly demote Johnny to the 3rd line, where he belongs. This is a trade forged in the depths of HELL. With this one simple move, Toronto ensures the Cup win.

The price for Crosby would be far higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad