Friedman: Leafs willing to move 1st round pick.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It better be for Saros or I’m not interested.

Knowing Treliving, he’ll do something dumb and trade it for his boy in Calgary Tanev.

They are talking about a package for both Hannafin and Tanev on 32 thoughts. No idea what that would be worth?

Tanev would be a 2nd plus a prospect

Hannafin would be 1st and a player or
1st prospect 4th like lindholm

So what.

Lilly. 1st. 3rd and a prospect?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Except that the new boss has flopped on just about every move he has made so far. If I were a Leaf fan I wouldn't worry about trading a 1st round pick, I'd be worried about the person making the trade.
Just dealing with the fallout left by his predecessor.

I was one of the more vocal critics of the 'Summer of Treliving', but his moves so far have been short-term and pretty calculated. Bertuzzi and Domi were good value buy-low signings. Klingberg was the only one that's really flopped for him so far.

The problem is that we're pretty far in the game and it's pretty apparent that a team can't afford to go for it every single year. You just don't have enough assets to sustain it.

Where they're sitting now, there are just far too many question marks on their roster and the question they're asking themselves is whether or not they're trading a first? The draft this year isn't that deep. That first doesn't hold a lot of value to begin with.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
They are talking about a package for both Hannafin and Tanev on 32 thoughts. No idea what that would be worth?

Tanev would be a 2nd plus a prospect

Hannafin would be 1st and a player or
1st prospect 4th like lindholm

So what.

Lilly. 1st. 3rd and a prospect?

If it’s for both, I’d gladly do that deal as long as the prospect isn’t Cowan.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That D is one of the worst in the teams that are in playoff spot, that is obvious.

Only real top 4 D there is Rieilly.

McCabe is a 3rd pairing, #4 at best on most top teams.

Brodie has fallen off a cliff since the last playoffs, he's bad.

Giordano: lol?

Liljegren is at best at 3rd pairing D.

Then you get the Benoit, Lagesson, Timmins, who could be waived and not picked up.

How can you say that D doesn't suck?

I didn't say it doesn't need work it does, but I still think it gets to much especially since until about maybe 2 weeks ago Samsonov had an 862 save%.

It's now an 879, neither one is good enough regardless of the defense.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
:rolleyes: I'm getting so tired of moving quality assets for just rentals. please acquire someone that has a bit of term anyways. Even if you gotta move like a Robertson/Minten/Niemela + a 1st to get it done.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
That D is one of the worst in the teams that are in playoff spot, that is obvious.

Only real top 4 D there is Rieilly.

McCabe is a 3rd pairing, #4 at best on most top teams.

Brodie has fallen off a cliff since the last playoffs, he's bad.

Giordano: lol?

Liljegren is at best at 3rd pairing D.

Then you get the Benoit, Lagesson, Timmins, who could be waived and not picked up.

How can you say that D doesn't suck?

I have to agree. It's pretty bad.

The combination of the Klingberg failed signing and Brodie falling off a cliff has completely killed this defense. Goaltending is also a problem...specifically Samsonov until recently.

The exception there is Benoit. He's been great. Bottom pair great, but still great.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Except that the new boss has flopped on just about every move he has made so far. If I were a Leaf fan I wouldn't worry about trading a 1st round pick, I'd be worried about the person making the trade.

New boss hasn't even been here 8 months let's give it some time.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
To me that means the core isn’t a winning recepie, and they should look to move on from that 5 high end forward core.

Seems like marner is prob the odd man out of the equation. Maybe you can move him for a dmen + forward + pick/prospect

Hard to say.

The core right now isn't the problem. The offseason signings and regression around them is.

Now does that mean the Leafs might need to allocate more cap to other areas? Quite possibly. Certainly the lack of playoff success over the last 7 years suggests there might be a problem.

This season however, the core is carrying them and so much of the rest of the cap is taken up by dead weight.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

The combination of the Klingberg failed signing and Brodie falling off a cliff has completely killed this defense. Goaltending is also a problem...specifically Samsonov until recently.

The exception there is Benoit. He's been great. Bottom pair great, but still great.

Hey, you need bottom pair guys too, I hope he gets another couple years.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
or accept the team isnt that good and isnt a bandaid fix away from being a contender. so why give up more of the future? they need more than 1 player to seriously contend and very limited resources left.

after the past like 5 years of spending a 1st and more making little progress. and the current state the roster is in moving a 1st isnt going to help. so why keep going down that road.
A 26th overall pick isn't going to be part of the next core.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm reminded of the scene in "Blazing Saddles":

"You said Marner twice."

"I like Marner."
I do like marner, not enough to part with the assets it would take to get him tho

Hard to say.

The core right now isn't the problem. The offseason signings and regression around them is.

Now does that mean the Leafs might need to allocate more cap to other areas? Quite possibly. Certainly the lack of playoff success over the last 7 years suggests there might be a problem.

This season however, the core is carrying them and so much of the rest of the cap is taken up by dead weight.
Problem is idk that there is enough cap after the core to get much more than dead weight, and the ones that do well end up needing too much money to keep and get moved

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I do like marner, not enough to part with the assets it would take to get him tho

Problem is idk that there is enough cap after the core to get much more than dead weight, and the ones that do well end up needing too much money to keep and get moved

I think the cap issues are overblown by quite a lot.

Even with Matthews and Nylander signed the Leafs have, Muzzin, Murray, Klingberg, Brodie, Samsonov, Lilly all coming off the books that's a lot of money.

Then you get into the smaller contracts like Jones, Benoit and Gregor.

Then next year, Marner, Tavares, McCabe and Timmins expire that's another 23.1 million.

even with Matthews and Nylander signed Treliving is going to be able to reshape this roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Also the struggles of the "gritty" depth signings (Bertuzzi/Domi/Reaves) haven't helped support the core 4 forwards.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I'd wonder how many think the Leafs will just choke and bow out in the first round again? Defense and goaltending have been issues for a long time. But the fab four are paid top dollar for sure. Seems like things don't change. But, maybe they'll need to change at some point, starting with getting rid of Shanny.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Tre is always willing to trade high picks, but he never traded one for a pure rental. Whatever guy they get for the first will have term attached.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Most Leaf fans aren't going to like this.

On the most recent 32 thoughts podcast Friedman that the Maple Leafs are in fact willing to move their 1st round pick, there had been speculation that Treliving did not want to move the 1st round pick prior to Friedman report.

What he did say was that they didn't want to move their 1st round pick for pure rental, he said that if they are going to trade it they wanted to try and get a couple of players, he brought of Tanev and Zadorov as an example he said that when they were trying to acquire both Tanev and Zadorov their 1st round pick was in play.

He mentioned a package of Tanev and Markstrom as an Example.

He made it sound if Toronto is going to do something It's going to be fairly big.

Speaking of Tanev he also said he didn't think Vancouver could do it.

And brought up a potential Tanev and Hanifin package.

I don't know you do it because you'd have to match salaries, but if there was a way to land both Tanev and Markstrom there isn't much I wouldn't put on the table.

I feel like goaltending is What's holding this team back, I feel like It's cost them close to 15 points.

Samsonov has been AWFUL the majority of the year

Woll looked promising but then he got hurt, he's been hurt for 2 months and by all accounts he's out at least another month

Martin Jones has been solid but he's also Martin Jones.

There has also been rumours of Treliving wanting Risto out of Philadelphia, maybe he tries to get Risto and Seeler, or Risto and Walker.

Or maybe he tries his other former team and targets Dumba and Vejmelka, we know for a fact he tried to sign Dumba in the Summer but Dumba wanted 5 years so they went with Klingberg which started off good and then didn't work at all.

I thought they might keep their 1st this year and I'm good with that if they do.

But it doesn't sound like they will, or at least don't want to and I'm good with that too, as long as the player has term or signs an extension.
If he gets Tanev and Markstom both for Leafs pick Treliving deserves GM of year

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I mean… they don’t have much (that teams really value) outside of their 1st. If I were GM, I’d hold onto it since this doesn’t seem like their year. Now, maybe Tre is eyeing a player who would be part of the team after this season (e.g., Hanifin).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad