Friedman: Leafs willing to move 1st round pick.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
when your D suck, your goalie will certsinly have hard time

Even Woll who had been fantastic had only 0.916 sv % and hes played great hockey

get Woll playing the same way he did exemple in Boston, for that stretche thr way he was playing, he would be around 0,940 to 0,950 sv %...

so yes at the end Leafs absolutly need to upgrade his D because right now leafs D is amount 7 or 8 worst D in NHL and they will never win anything with that D whatever whos in net!!!!

Neither 862 or 879 is a defense issue once you hit that level It's a goalie.

As for Woll that might if he was playing but he's not playing because he's injured so he doesn't count right now.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
....... Are we even in a position to spend more? at some point we have to restock the cupboards.
year after year after year of spending should have caught up to us by now.

The leafs are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
The Flyers have Ristolainen and Walker as RHD that could be available. Risto has a couple more years of term. There is a deal to be made. What the Leafs also need is Scott Laughton. Good 3C, exc on PK, can score, hits, fights.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
They might, It's top 10 protected.

Now there's a happy thought.

Seems like every other player wants to play for the Maple Leafs, and I'm not surprised. Now that we know the 1st round pick is in play, here's a trade I'd be willing to make:

TOR: Sidney Crosby
PIT: Matty Knies, 1st

Pens are shite this year. Everyone knows this. GM Corsi King should do the right thing and set Sidney free. He would instantly demote Johnny to the 3rd line, where he belongs. This is a trade forged in the depths of HELL. With this one simple move, Toronto ensures the Cup win.

Dubas was a double agent all along!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He didn’t say they were willing to move a FRP. He said since they don’t have a SRP for a a few years that they’d have to move their FRP if they wanted to make an upgrade. In saying that it’s clearly obvious that any type of deal they’re looking for would have to involve their FRP. Cowan and Minten alone isn’t going to get you a top 4 D man

Yes he did say it, but not for a pure rental

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He said they're hesitant to trade it for a rental.

Toronto doesn't have a 2nd for a while, so to go for Tanev it would cost a 1st and he wasn't sure if they'd do that, unless they can re-sign him.

If you listened to the podcast you know he said Toronto isn't the only one that doesn't want to do a 1st for Tanev.

He said he doesn't think it will be Vancouver, he didn't say it wouldn't be Ottawa, but let's be real they aren't moving a 1st for Tanev when they are already required to forfeit a 1st by 2026.

Kind of sounded like Toronto or Dallas.

The Leafs have to decide if they are all in to win or not. When does that window close?

At least 5 more years.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Leaf fans that are against trading a 1st are weird
I don't think it's that weird. I think it's a fear that the trade will be a waste.

The Leafs core is keeping them competitive this year but the roster around them is chaotic at best.

Last year the Leafs went all in and lost. We're draft capital poor now and this roster is, barring some miracle, far worse. All hope is not lost, but it doesn't seem like a winning hand right now.

I think it comes down to a lot of people writing the season off because we're all not sure this thing is fixable before the deadline.

If they can find a solution that works this year and has term or is extendable, I'm listening.

Reactions: HofT and stealth1

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Seems like every other player wants to play for the Maple Leafs, and I'm not surprised. Now that we know the 1st round pick is in play, here's a trade I'd be willing to make:

TOR: Sidney Crosby
PIT: Matty Knies, 1st

Pens are shite this year. Everyone knows this. GM Corsi King should do the right thing and set Sidney free. He would instantly demote Johnny to the 3rd line, where he belongs. This is a trade forged in the depths of HELL. With this one simple move, Toronto ensures the Cup win.
That would be fine. The salary cap would be a problem for the Leafs.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Neither 862 or 879 is a defense issue once you hit that level It's a goalie.

As for Woll that might if he was playing but he's not playing because he's injured so he doesn't count right now.

it can also be result of both..

for Woll i talking for game he played. He was better than his stats actually...

leafs can survive with Woll, they cant with this D

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You have zero way to keep the core going and draft replacement players simultaneously. This isn't a video game. The average draft pick will take 5 year to get into the lineup and contribute. Which of Matthews, marner, Nylander or Reilly will still be in their prime in five years? None of them. Reilly will be 34. The rest will be 31-32.

If your depth wasn't so bad a guy like knies would be in the AHL.

Look at how Tampa kept the core going, they traded draft capital for depth pieces. That's all you can do, there is no perpetual contending status by drafting and developing and winning the cup every year. People who point out Detroit in the past ignore that they got many top free agents for a decade and got generationally lucky by drafting iron curtain players that weren't supposed to be available.
or accept the team isnt that good and isnt a bandaid fix away from being a contender. so why give up more of the future? they need more than 1 player to seriously contend and very limited resources left.

Leaf fans that are against trading a 1st are weird
after the past like 5 years of spending a 1st and more making little progress. and the current state the roster is in moving a 1st isnt going to help. so why keep going down that road.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think it's that weird. I think it's a fear that the trade will be a waste.

The Leafs core is keeping them competitive this year but the roster around them is chaotic at best.

Last year the Leafs went all in and lost. We're draft capital poor now and this roster is, barring some miracle, far worse. All hope is not lost, but it doesn't seem like a winning hand right now.

I think it comes down to a lot of people writing the season off because we're all not sure this thing is fixable before the deadline.

If they can find a solution that works this year and has term or is extendable, I'm listening.
To me that means the core isn’t a winning recepie, and they should look to move on from that 5 high end forward core.

Seems like marner is prob the odd man out of the equation. Maybe you can move him for a dmen + forward + pick/prospect

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
That's the thing people keep saying their defense sucks, and while I freely admit It's not perfect by any stretch, until recently Samsonov had an 862 save%, and while he's been better recently It's still 879.

Neither 862 or 879 is a defense problem.

That will NEVER be a defense problem that's a goalie issue at that point, that's a result of not getting a save.
That D is one of the worst in the teams that are in playoff spot, that is obvious.

Only real top 4 D there is Rieilly.

McCabe is a 3rd pairing, #4 at best on most top teams.

Brodie has fallen off a cliff since the last playoffs, he's bad.

Giordano: lol?

Liljegren is at best at 3rd pairing D.

Then you get the Benoit, Lagesson, Timmins, who could be waived and not picked up.

How can you say that D doesn't suck?

Reactions: Nowotny and viceroy

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
This isn't really news, Treliving has never had a problem moving 1st round picks. He traded a 1st and 2 x 2nds for Hamonic in the middle of the Flames rebuild.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
the window is close. the time to go for it is now. their 1st and their prospects should be in play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad