Post-Game Talk: Leafs vs. Coyotes - Leading the League in Moral Victories

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I find it amusing, no wait....PATHETIC.... how much praise is being directed at the Leafs despite winning one single game out of eight.

Rather than criticizing players that are awful and not even worthy of dawning a uniform, most are spending their time admiring how high Morgan Rielly jumped to catch a puck...how many spam shots the Leafs are directing towards the net...how Kadri is really "stirring things up"...oh and did I mention how many shots we are taking?

To me it's ridiculous. Come on people.

This is a brutal hockey team and it's about time we started chasing a player or two out of here.

Kessel getting the boot was awesome but it's nigh time a few others are shipped out of here starting with the CAPTAIN.

Let's go Leafs fans!!!!!!

I think I know what the issue is here. Everyone else knew what this season was, this is what we expected, it's a rebuild. You just don't understand how the process works. Don't worry, you'll get it in a few years. :)

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I find it amusing, no wait....PATHETIC.... how much praise is being directed at the Leafs despite winning one single game out of eight.

Rather than criticizing players that are awful and not even worthy of dawning a uniform, most are spending their time admiring how high Morgan Rielly jumped to catch a puck...how many spam shots the Leafs are directing towards the net...how Kadri is really "stirring things up"...oh and did I mention how many shots we are taking?

This is a brutal hockey team and it's about time we started chasing a player or two out of here.

Kessel getting the boot was awesome but it's nigh time a few others are shipped out of here starting with the CAPTAIN.

Players who have been awful: Polak, Grabner, Arcobello, Parenteau, Reimer, Holland, Marincin, and maybe Matthias. A.K.A. The stopgaps. There's just not much room to criticize. They're on one year deals, cheap deals. It's not like they were expected to be top line players.

If we had a Kadri clone on every line and a Rielly clone on every pairing, we'd have a great record. Playing on a bad team does not make these players bad or less deserving of acknowledgment.

Our record is bad. We have bad goaltending, bad special teams, and good (not great) even strength play. A bad record doesn't mean we can't acknowledge where we've improved from last year.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario

Thought this might help you:

At its core, what a 'rebuilding' team means is that it's going through a losing stretch that's expected, because it doesn't have the tools needed to be competitive. As such:

-Expensive free agents are avoided.
-Young kids are given a better chance to play, to see if they're going to work out.
-Overall team salary tends to be low.

It also is a "signal" to fans to not expect the team to compete and win; GMs or other team executives often want to make sure it's clear they're not trying to win in the short term, because otherwise their jobs may be at stake. If you signal a "rebuild", that may earn you a few more years (if people think it was a good idea and like your rebuilding plan, anyway).

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I got news for you. The Leafs ain't winnin' the Stanley Cup.

Then why beat around the bush?

Stop paying these losers millions of dollars and start booting them out the door.

It's disgraceful seeing multi-millionares being schooled by rookies like Max Domi and Anthony Duclair.

How do you guys accept this?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Are you ever not miserable?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

do you not think most people know that.
they're going to go. kvetching about it after every game isn't going to make them be traded any faster. it's not going to raise their value any quicker.

and considering that the majority of the people here want the leafs to get a high draft pick, i would argue that most are mollified (to a point) to having them play moderately decent (ie: not being embarrassed by being stuck in their end and being obliterated by shots)

i don't understand why installing the foundation for a good possession game or anything is mocked and ridiculed when for the most part, unless you have extremely good goaltending (or really good offensive weapons to offeset the multitudes of overtimes/shootouts you face - which is what those teams who have poor possession numbers have to go through), is something to be ignored, or shouldn't be acknowledged/praised, or appreciated. I also don't see why the team (who is going to be bad) shouldn't take an inexpensive flyer on people that can support the nucleus of the team. not everyone is going to be drafted.

so. you're upset that we're not winning more?
we don't have the talent to be winning more. this is basically what WTFMan, and I and a few others have been trying to tell people all summer. it's going to be bad. I'm still amazed we have 4 points.

you're upset that people are trying to get the positives from a bad season? why?

you're upset that a team in year 1 (officially) of a rebuild hasn't gotten rid of everyone? even when people (me) have been stating it takes roughly five years to fully turn over a roster completely?

and then turning it on shots?

(shrug) to each their own, i suppose.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

Stop paying these losers millions of dollars and start booting them out the door.

It's disgraceful seeing multi-millionares being schooled by rookies like Max Domi and Anthony Duclair.

I like your passion. We will need fans like you in 3-4 years. Please don't give up.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

Babs indicated this during his presser.

IMO only youngsters should get a pass from making fundamental mistakes. Not seasoned vets.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

Do you really think trading them is not in their plans? Really??

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Well at least Polak isn't a folk hero anymore. Im amazed at how Dubas takes no heat. Any deal he's been involved in has been a disaster.

KGL

Sep 5, 2014
I like your passion. We will need fans like you in 3-4 years. Please don't give up.

We're 10 games into the season and he's already ready to snap. Poor guy isn't likely to make it two-four years, unfortunately. :(

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah guys, why don't we trade everyone in one day!

That's what I do in NHL 16!

Lou cares to much about his GM rep!

!!!

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

I haven't paid them a dime.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Is it just me or does the leafs power play set up suck.

They always have two deep, one in front and Kadri towards the left dot with Phaneuf at the middle. I think they should shift Lupul to the right dot so they can have more cross ice passes instead of forcing Kadri or Phaneuf to shoot. It is way too easy for the goalie to read because there is only one direction the puck is going to come from.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

When Nylander comes into the league, will it be disgraceful for other teams when he scores on them? Is it disgraceful when McDavid scores? Some rookies are good. Some are better than vets. Deal with it.

Again, you really don't understand what a rebuild is. We acknowledge we're not winning the cup this year (because let's face it, even if we sold off the future we'd be lucky to make the playoffs). And then instead of trying to win the cup, we let our young players develop in the minor leagues and sell off free agents for assets. Same result at the end of the year, except then we eventually end up doing better and winning a cup. Is that hard to understand?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Thought this might help you:

At its core, what a 'rebuilding' team means is that it's going through a losing stretch that's expected, because it doesn't have the tools needed to be competitive. As such:

-Expensive free agents are avoided.
-Young kids are given a better chance to play, to see if they're going to work out.
-Overall team salary tends to be low.

It also is a "signal" to fans to not expect the team to compete and win; GMs or other team executives often want to make sure it's clear they're not trying to win in the short term, because otherwise their jobs may be at stake. If you signal a "rebuild", that may earn you a few more years (if people think it was a good idea and like your rebuilding plan, anyway).

What free agents were avoided? I see a whole host of them on the Leafs roster.

What young kids are being played? I see very few of them on the Leafs roster.

How is the salary low? I see a team payroll 8th out of 30 teams in the NHL.

Sorry but this version of reality just isn't adding up.

This team is just overpaid garbage.

Get rid of Dion, Lupul, Bozak, and Kadri and this "rebuild" may actually get started.

KGL

Sep 5, 2014
I think they could he a bubble team as soon as next year.

In all seriousness, I was thinking the same thing as well today. Swap out Arcobello, Holland, Grabner, Polak, Boyes etc. for Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Marner, Matthews/Chychrun, Percy and we'll see a huge boost. Possession is already solid, 5-on-5 hockey is already solid, just need more scoring, better special teams and stronger goaltending and I agree, they could be a bubble team next year.

I said two-four years since that's the projection management has given though.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
In all seriousness, I was thinking the same thing as well today. Swap out Arcobello, Holland, Grabner, Polak, Boyes etc. for Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Marner, Matthews/Chychrun, Percy and we'll see a huge boost. Possession is already solid, 5-on-5 hockey is already solid, just need more scoring, better special teams and stronger goaltending and I agree, they could be a bubble team next year.

I said two-four years since that's the projection management has given though.

And we are getting some guy called Stamkos :naughty:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
What free agents were avoided? I see a whole host of them on the Leafs roster.

What young kids are being played? I see very few of them on the Leafs roster.

How is the salary low? I see a team payroll 8th out of 30 teams in the NHL.

Sorry but this version of reality just isn't adding up.

This team is just overpaid garbage.

Get rid of Dion, Lupul, Bozak, and Kadri and this "rebuild" may actually get started.

Your reading comprehension is low. Expensive free agents are avoided is what was said. The biggest payout we gave last summer was $2.3M.

Young guys like Rielly, Gardiner, and Kadri are getting top minutes. Borderline players like Nylander and Brown are getting kept in the AHL so they get played, and see top minutes, instead of being played 12 minutes a night on the third line.

Salary is low because we have a lot of cap space from LTIR. Other big contracts are the fault of previous management who has since been fired, and shouldn't be held agains the current team.

They ARE getting rid of Dion, Lupul, and Bozak (Kadri stays, because he's a very good young player). Trades don't happen overnight. After last season's collapse, it's going to take some time to build up value again.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

I'm not giving up. No way.

I just get PEEVED when people actually tolerate garbage like this.

This should be a FULL OUT WITCH-HUNT right now!!!!

Instead fans want to give out raises and ribbons.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
We need more top talent. I was a teen in the 80s. I would like to see a Cup while I can still enjoy the parade without a walker. Rebuild away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad