Post-Game Talk: Leafs vs. Coyotes - Leading the League in Moral Victories

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm not surprised you feel this way, i remember you wanted us to bring up our prospects to play now "because they earned it through there play". (if im mistaken then i apologize)

You don't have patience much.. a coach sees things that we don't and he wants to correct things as soon as possible. This team has too many bad habits, from season before this one.. and its going to take discipline to get them straight.

We are rebuilding, we wont be competing for the next 3-4 season probably. Patience dude.. this fanbase ALL wanted a real rebuild.. it comes with pain.. its only going to get worse before it gets better.. a whole lot better!

That was not me. I have always been a firm believer of keeping prospects in the AHL. In fact, I'm the guy that wants to keep Froese and Harrington in the AHL because they aren't ready to be in this lineup.

I'm also the guy that's arguing against Babcock playing these guys in favour of some of the guys he's scratching.

OvenMittz*

That was not me. I have always been a firm believer of keeping prospects in the AHL. In fact, I'm the guy that wants to keep Froese and Harrington in the AHL because they aren't ready to be in this lineup.

I'm also the guy that's arguing against Babcock playing these guys in favour of some of the guys he's scratching.

My apologies then. A lot of you guys have similar looking icons lol

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
I don't believe the majority of this core has it in them to properly compete. If Froese comes up and plays to the best of his abilities, which may be less then other players on the team, he deserves to be up there rather than some bum who puts half a **** into everything he does.

If the coach doesn't see you giving it your all, you deserve to be sat, these are pro athletes who make a boat load of cash. None of which should be babied, and allowed to create bad habits.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
This is the perfect scenario right now. Our younger players are showing some growth, our useless veterans are still somewhat useless, but some improvement is noticeable. Our young players are playing prominent roles in the AHL. And as a cherry on top we are losing, and we are now realizing Bernier is not a #1 goalie. Things couldn't be going better.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't believe the majority of this core has it in them to properly compete. If Froese comes up and plays to the best of his abilities, which may be less then other players on the team, he deserves to be up there rather than some bum who puts half a **** into everything he does.

If the coach doesn't see you giving it your all, you deserve to be sat, these are pro athletes who make a boat load of cash. None of which should be babied, and allowed to create bad habits.

Instead of using the eye test to judge effort, which is going to give a different result from every person who uses it, judge based on the results of their play. Froese did not have good results, he is not an NHL player.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This is the perfect scenario right now. Our younger players are showing some growth, our useless veterans are still somewhat useless, but some improvement is noticeable. Our young players are playing prominent roles in the AHL. And as a cherry on top we are losing, and we are now realizing Bernier is not a #1 goalie. Things couldn't be going better.

Come on, he didn't even play today...

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
Instead of using the eye test to judge effort, which is going to give a different result from every person who uses it, judge based on the results of their play. Froese did not have good results, he is not an NHL player.

This is why I've had misgivings over Babcock's sincerity here, Froese was ok for his first outing in the show but he's been on the ice for 5 goals against in 2 games ( I think ). Compete or not, and sure faceoffs, but that's kind of an ambiguous message.

...and that's with my eye test.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This is why I've had misgivings over Babcock's sincerity here, Froese was ok for his first outing in the show but he's been on the ice for 5 goals against in 2 games ( I think ). Compete or not, and sure faceoffs, but that's kind of an ambiguous message.

...and that's with my eye test.

Ouch considering we've only given up 8 goals, and he wasn't on the ice for a single goal for.

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
The truth.

We are too quick to blame our goalies or players for our struggles when our coach is just as responsible for our struggles.

I personally don't care whether we win or not. I like the pain that are going through right now, because it just means we have a better chance at Matthews. Plus our core group of 13 forwards put together great games on a consistent basis, our goalies don't give up and our defense does well in limiting chance even though they have some demoralizing break downs; they will have plenty of value when we have to ship them out.

I'm just done with the lack of loyalty towards the Leafs players, and the lack of accountability of the coach. It's definitely not all on Babcock, but he has to be just as responsible, if not more responsible, for the struggles and mistakes made thus far. We aren't going to improve much otherwise.

Ok, I'll actually play ball here as I'm sitting at home with a concussion and have nothing but time...

The PLAYERS ARE TO BLAME. End of story. They are the guys on the ice, they are they ones where the blame should be placed, ESPECIALLY when it comes to effort and lack of interest - which is what Babs is pissed about.

Loyalty to the players? Seriously? First, the guys who have been here a few seasons don't deserve my "loyalty," I've been a Leaf Fan since the early 70's and I have seen far better come and go in this place than this lot. They have not earned my loyalty, and have a loooong way to go in order to get it.

Second, the rest of the team who have been brought in as "place holders" for lack of a better term, have 8 games under their belts, two of which they have shown almost no "try," and 6 where they actually showed up. Until that group starts to bring it every single night, then no, they do not deserve my loyalty either.

The goaltending has been terrible, and I can imagine both of these guys will not be here much longer. Bernier has all but been given the #1 job and has shown nothing that would lead me to believe Babs and Lou will have faith in him for the long term. Riemer is just Riemer, enough said.

Then I come on and read several of your posts going after Babcock who is only just starting to do his job after several weeks of generosity with the guys, especially to the Press. It's time some people start getting called out, yes. If you cannot at least show up, then I'm not sure what to say anymore. A bunch of kids made them look pretty bad last night.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I wonder why we need all this cap space, unless there is a reason to use it, maybe a trade for a player(s) and taking on extra cap in the deal?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
So they are subjected to the whims of their coach? Even better for their confidence because right now Babcock has confidence in players whom don't deserve it, and vice versa.

I mean, either he has confidence in few players to do well, or the players he has confidence in aren't doing enough to win games and needs to rely upon guys to come through for him. We are 1/10th of the way into the season. If you are giving up on someone like Holland or anyone else after 8 games, then you never had confidence in them in the first place.

Babcock should stick with this team through thick and thin until at least the new year. The only exceptions should be 1) Injuries, 2) Calling up Corrado and potentially one of Frattin or Panik for competition (Panik or Frattin only if he eventually prefers to send Harrington back to the Marlies) or 3) We get a trade that is acceptable to take before the new year (i.e. Polak may be traded). Barring any of these situations, he should stick with this team until the new year. At that time, if he feels like a particular player has sucked for most or all of the year, you start to break up this group like he has already been doing.

We have already outplayed our opponent in more games this season than we did all of last season. He is getting a lot of out this team, and their work ethic has been tremendous for the most part.

The primary reason for our record is our save percentage, and Babcock can't be faulted for the fact that Bernier and Reimer represent what is quite possibly one of the worst goaltending tandems in the NHL.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

I wonder why we need all this cap space, unless there is a reason to use it, maybe a trade for a player(s) and taking on extra cap in the deal?

I think Mirtle said that they are having trouble with the cap due to all the injuries (Bozak, Gardiner, Spaling).

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think Mirtle said that they are having trouble with the cap due to all the injuries (Bozak, Gardiner, Spaling).

But we haven't added any real salary and unless a trade is made, there is little reason to maximize our cap, they save money of course.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Did they need to call up people to fix that though?

I mean, with all of the rumours surrounding our guys (maybe they don't come out from our camp, but they could come out from other teams' camps), I wouldn't be surprised if we do see a trade soon.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

I got a bleacher report notification on my phone at work today, saying the Leafs cleared 5.2M in capspace today by putting Horton and ??? (guessing Robidas) on LTIR

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
I got a bleacher report notification on my phone at work today, saying the Leafs cleared 5.2M in capspace today by putting Horton and ??? (guessing Robidas) on LTIR

That would be Horton all on his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad