Confirmed with Link: Leafs to sign Woll to 3 year extension on July 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Nice to get Woll locked up on a lowish wage but why does it have to be twice as much as Kotchetkov and a year less.

We have a year of him at 800k so it's possible those monies never hit the cap if things go bad - he's either going to be great, LTIR'd, or good enough the contract is moveable. Doubtful to turn out he's healthy and not good enough to play anywhere at a reasonable rate.

Reactions: ToneDog

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Seems like a really good deal for Woll simply due to the amount of games he currently has under his belt. It should end up being a quality deal for the team too if his pace can effectively translate over an increased workload.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
"Why are we giving Marner 9 million aav when he hasn't even broken 70 points yet???"

The pitchforks would be out if we were watching Woll kill it next season with no extension in place. I'm sure he was perfectly willing to bet on himself rather than bite on the lowball offers Leafs fans are cooking up in retrospect.
I love the blind optimism but this could very easily go the other way with his injury history.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Seems like a really good deal for Woll simply due to the amount of games he currently has under his belt. It should end up being a quality deal for the team too if his pace can effectively translate over an increased workload.
I've read this comment a couple times and I'm still a bit baffled by it.

His games are limited because of the injury problems he's faced. He's getting high ankle sprains in December which took him a long time to get right from, and in 2022 that shoulder shoulder injury he got really screwed with his season then too, that carried over all across the offseason. And then ofc just randomly missing game 7 this year because of a random back injury.

This needs to be taken into account.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He's a legit #1 goalie when healthy.

3.5-4.0m per is a ridiculous overpay right now given his resume. I would have tried 2.75/per.

This is a boom or bust contract.

Either it'll be genius or it'll be a complete disaster.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Seems they've tapped him as their starter.

Treliving has done okay with keepers?

Ullmark agrees.

I am not sure he has done well with goaltenders... Markstrom hasn't lived up to his contract so far and was just traded.

I think the bigger concern with Woll at this point is his health and whether he can be relied upon for a starter workload.

Having said that, I think this contract could be good, bad, or alright.

I can't see it being horrible or great.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Maybe, their calculation takes into account LTIR?

Not sure Woll is a LTIR candidate the same way someone like Murray is.

Woll is likely going to play games throughout the season even if he hits LTIR, he is too young/not accomplished enough to agree to long-long term LTIR IMO.

Like I said though.. I think his value by year two of this contract will either be slightly over it or slightly below, I can't see this being a horrible contract, but I also can't see it being an amazing steal.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
groundhog day all over again, I guess it's not too impactful on the cap once he's injured again..........

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
88M / 22 players --> 4M average AAV per player.

If a goalie is a tandem goalie on a good team with decent numbers, this is a bargain. Decent gamble by Tre. Joe can exceed this value I believe. Congrats to him.

Hopefully it's closer to 3.5M.

MapleLeafsMats

Aug 9, 2020
Let's say Woll plays 50-60 games this season and establishes himself firmly as a #1 which he has shown us in flashes. What's his AAV then as an RFA?

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I think anyone that has watched Woll realizes health is the only thing thats kept him from being a starter. If he puts together a healthy season that number could go to 5-6 million.

Let's say Woll plays 50-60 games this season and establishes himself firmly as a #1 which he has shown us in flashes. What's his AAV then as an RFA?
With the cap increase if I'm his agent I'm aiming for 5.5-6 million.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ya, and our starter played like a marginal NHL player.
Two wrongs do not make a right. At least Sammy earned his 3.5m based by his play in his first year. He pretty much save our bacon after Murray was hurt (who could have guessed?). This signing could make Woll Tre's Murray. Too risky for me but we all know how smart the Leafs are.

Odds are he plays less than 40. Hopefully we can LTIR him for the other 42 games.

Reactions: rumman

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think anyone that has watched Woll realizes health is the only thing thats kept him from being a starter. If he puts together a healthy season that number could go to 5-6 million.

With the cap increase if I'm his agent I'm aiming for 5.5-6 million.
Given his injury history, he'd be dumb to turn down $3.5-$4m. Now way he gets close to than with a repeat of this past season. Leafs rolling the dice. Question is when has this team ever been lucky?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I've read this comment a couple times and I'm still a bit baffled by it.

His games are limited because of the injury problems he's faced. He's getting high ankle sprains in December which took him a long time to get right from, and in 2022 that shoulder shoulder injury he got really screwed with his season then too, that carried over all across the offseason. And then ofc just randomly missing game 7 this year because of a random back injury.

This needs to be taken into account.
It should be a good deal for the team if Woll can play often and well and not so much if he can neither play often nor well enough, no?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
It's more than backup money. He's gonna be in the top 30 for cap hit for goaltenders, maybe top 25 depending how high his deal is. They're paying him like a low end 1A.

You can have all the ability in the world but if you can't stay healthy and play it's worthless.

I don't see how anyone could view this as anything other than a bad deal, today.
It's 27th highest paid goaltender. So its on the low end of starter money. (which he is). His injury history doesn't take away from his talent.
Top much money for a guy they didn't even want to start in the playoffs.
Seems like a coaching issue rather then a Woll problem. Go check what Ullmark had to say about the Leafs playing Samsonov.

This is not a good deal IMO .. obscure overpayment for someone who hasn’t earned it. Quite risky.

And I like Woll.
Flawed logic, not many young players earn what they are making today, but you bet on them being worth way more then that in a few years time. Toronto is doing the same with Woll.
There's a whole Squadron here that'll froth about anything and everything.

Seems very much like a low risk, high reward deal.
People on this website have PTSD on paying players above market value in career years, they forget what it's like to bet on someone now to pay them below market value in a year or two. I think it's nice to see a GM activity doing this.

Woll makes 750k this year, if he plays 50 games and puts up his regular .915, Toronto would be paying more then the 3.5 AAV or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad