Confirmed with Link: Leafs to sign Woll to 3 year extension on July 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Too much IMHO. He needs to prove he can stay healthy before throwing Samsonov type money at him.

$2.5 to $3.0M would have been my price point for a goalie that can't stay healthy long enough to play a game 7 !!!

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Every Leafs fan should love this. When this deal kicks in the cap will be approaching 100M. The speculated caphit is the value of a backup goalie TODAY. He has already proven he can play 30 games as a backup.

This is literally a no loss if he never takes the next step we still have money for a legit goalie as he is on a bargain contract for a backup goalie, and if he does take the next step a bargain contract

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
This is the first move outside of bringing in Domi that I have thought Brad might be an ok GM.

Smart piece of business if true.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think this means they aren’t trading for any other starter. Will sign someone to be in a split committee with Woll. If he stays healthy could be a steal. Also could end up being a a good back up. With the cap hopefully continuing to go up this won’t be bad.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We're giving this guy 3.5-4m, with term, after so little experience?

Goalies are voodoo, contracts are not. That is tandem goalie money which effectively prices us out of an elite goalie if Woll isn't anything more than a backup. It's overpriced if he's a backup and a disaster if he flames out. The odds of Woll being a legit #1 are better than zero, but goalies are still voodoo and a guy with 39 games has a lot of da voodoo in 'em.

The odds of this working out spectacularly are acceptable enough that I can live with this, but on the other hand this almost certainly means that we are going to have yet another year of shoestrings and hope in net. Can't wait to see which goalie Treliving pulls out of the dumpster this summer! We gonna have a Broissoit-Woll tandem next year? FFS.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ned just got 2.5M and he's not as good as Woll, maybe a bit more durable but not as good.

This is a gamble I am okay with, you win some, you lose some but if he changes things up this off-season to remain healthier, this is a win.

I think they can definitely trade him if they have to.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Good to lock him up, would have expected something a little cheaper. He's our #1G though, and if he plays like we know he can and stay healthy, it will be a great deal for us.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not that far off from what the Wings gave Husso a couple years ago and he only had a bit more experience than Woll.

I don't hate it, gives them the opportunity to find a vet from 1.5-3ish mil and run a tandem rather than our everything on one guy.

Reactions: Kiwi and WTFMAN99

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Marmer should be switching to Woll's agent if he wants to cash in too.

All Treliving's done since getting hired is give people raises. If this is what the broken crippled body of an unproven rookie goaltender gets I can only imagine what Marner will recieve. Treliving is Dubas all over again.

Except with an even longer track record of failure.

If this was Mrazek or Murray would anyone be happy with this signing. Of course not. And for the exact same reason too.

Woll is gonna spend more time in the hospital than the arena.

This is a pretty big gamble. I like Woll and think he has the potential to be an outstanding goalie. He could also end up being the next Mrazek.

Or Murray.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not that far off from what the Wings gave Husso a couple years ago and he only had a bit more experience than Woll.

I don't hate it, gives them the opportunity to find a vet from 1.5-3ish mil and run a tandem rather than our everything on one guy.

Stolarz
Talbot
Brossoit

1-3 year range (depending on which guy you go for) for 1.75-2.5M

Hildeby is still in the wings too, also have to see how Ahykmatov adapts to North American ice/angles too

Reactions: aingefan

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
3.5M - 4M is too high. WTF. He's good but has only played 39 games so far and is injury prone. Why are we doing dumb things like this? Why is our org so good at forking money over like candy?

Why not wait and see if he can have a good season and be healthy? Yes we run the risk of paying a higher avg if he has a good season but I'd rather have that situation than be locked into a goalie who couldn't possibly play well and/or be injury prone.

This team will never learn.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Woll is clearly a insanely talented goalie. I don't think there's any question about his upside.
This will strictly come down to how healthy he can stay. If they can figure this problem out and he can become dependable, this contract will look like quite the steal. If he continues to get injured and not be reliable, it could look questionable.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
3.5M - 4M is too high. WTF. He's good but has only played 39 games so far and is injury prone. Why are we doing dumb things like this? Why is our org so good at forking money over like candy?

Why not wait and see if he can have a good season and be healthy? Yes we run the risk of paying a higher avg if he has a good season but I'd rather have that situation than be locked into a goalie who couldn't possibly play well and/or be injury prone.

This team will never learn.
Nailed it. These guys are seriously f***ing dumb.

Reactions: Al14 and rumman

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He has the ability to be a genuine #1G who could slot into the upper echelons of league goaltending
The only question is can the kid stay fit?

It's a gamble but with LTIR it's probably worth taking and we're only talking Samsonov type money

Hildeby may be only a year away from backing him up to which also mitigates some of the risk as well

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Exactly like Ottenger, good risk/reward, you have him signed to a reasonable number for the next 4 years, the only thing Toronto will be concerned about is staying healthy to play 50-55 games.

Better to sign the deal now, could always break out this season as that #1 starter and be forced to pay him more.

Reactions: jiggy35

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Not sure I see the need to rush into this.

Even if he stays healthy and plays well next year, I can't see his next contract starting with a number higher than 5, or at least short of winning the Vezina. Especially given his past injury troubles and his RFA status.

So we save a million and change, maybe, at the risk of a bad contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad