Confirmed with Link: Leafs to sign Woll to 3 year extension on July 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s a good hedge that he turns into something resembling the star goalie he looks like. Worst comes, a goalie with that much potential on an affordable deal could still be a moveable piece. I would say $3.5 million feels a lot more comfortable than $4 million. There’s definitely a psychological barrier there.

Reactions: Macallan18

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Awful deal for what Woll has proven. Could turn into a good deal if he stays healthy and establishes himself as #1. I'm skeptical though, this is a guy who hasn't played more than 32 games in a season since he turned pro, and hasn't broken 30 games since his rookie year in the AHL.

I got a feeling people are gonna be complaining about this in a couple years.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ok aside from the fact that he also has f*** all games played, he also has a .912 sv% in his young career, hardly anything groundbreaking. What precisely is his leverage here for getting paid that kind of money?

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Not sure I see the need to rush into this.

Even if he stays healthy and plays well next year, I can't see his next contract starting with a number higher than 5, or at least short of winning the Vezina. Especially given his past injury troubles and his RFA status.

So we save a million and change, maybe, at the risk of a bad contract?
Look at Ottenger numbers right now, Toronto followed the exact same path, they signed him March 2022 after 60 games in the NHL. I would argue he's now worth more then 5m.

This is how you save money in the NHL, you pay and bet on people when they are younger and show the potential and when they hit it, are getting paid below market value.

How many times have you guys seen Toronto have to pay market price and above market price for players having career years? Some here need to start thinking of what it means in the future..

Last edited:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Seems like a bit of a rushed move.

The term and AAV are not horrible, but he hasn't played all that much.

If he has a bad year, then what?
Obviously goalies are a nightmare to predict, but the risk of this one is relatively low. Woll's risk is almost entirely injury-related, so no one is too concerned that a healthy Woll is worth less than 3.5AAV. Assuming injury this money goes on LTIR.

Barring a significant underperformance combined with health, this will either be an OK-to-Great contract (healthy Joe), or on LTIR at which point it doesn't matter.

For AAV reference:
Samsonov 3.55AAV (4.3% cap 23'-24 season)
Woll 3.5 - 4AAV (3.8% - 4.3% 25'-26 season)

So basically we're paying Joe an equivalent to Sammy (at worst, 4M), or likely a bit less by %cap as I doubt it's 4M on the nose.

Reactions: Jojalu and weems

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why is he getting 3.5-4?

He has proven nothing, this is a pretty big gamble. That is a lot of money considering our cap structure and his lack of games played

To me, the cap structure will take a lot better shape this off-season when someone is traded and then Tavares doesn't make as much next season.

But your point to 3.5-4m is correct. Leafs are hoping that he becomes a #1 and with his abilities, I think that it can definitely happen. I believe Elliotte mentioned that they will be monitoring his training this summer to see if there can be some improvement to get him to play a full season.

I would love to sign him to a 2.75m for 2 years, but it walks him to free agency though.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Could go either way. This contract may look really good or really bad
But a homegrown goalie, showed some promise

I am ok with it

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I tend to scrutinize every cent but this one isn't setting off alarm bells for me.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
"Why are we giving Marner 9 million aav when he hasn't even broken 70 points yet???"

The pitchforks would be out if we were watching Woll kill it next season with no extension in place. I'm sure he was perfectly willing to bet on himself rather than bite on the lowball offers Leafs fans are cooking up in retrospect.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Look at Ottenger numbers right now, Toronto followed the exact same path, they signed him March 2022 after 60 games in the NHL. I would argue he's now worth more then 5m.

This is how you save money in the NHL, you pay and bet on people when they are younger and show the potential and when they hit it, are getting paid below market value.

How many times have you guys seen Toronto have to pay market price and above market price for players having career years?

Oettinger played 77 regular season games (.913SV%) before signing his extension, plus 7 playoff games (.954SV%).

Woll has played 36 (.912SV%), plus 7 playoff games (.933SV%).

So similar numbers, but Oettinger had more of a track record and was a couple years younger. To be fair, though, Oettinger signed in 2022 and Woll is signing for less/the same in 2024.

Again, I get the argument and it could very well work out, I am just not convinced that the potential savings outweigh the risk here.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Not sure what the rush is to lock him up at that price point?

Leafs seems to always overpay a bit and that really adds up. They really need guys on value deals.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
It's backup/tandem money. What are you so upset about?
It's more than backup money. He's gonna be in the top 30 for cap hit for goaltenders, maybe top 25 depending how high his deal is. They're paying him like a low end 1A.

You can have all the ability in the world but if you can't stay healthy and play it's worthless.

I don't see how anyone could view this as anything other than a bad deal, today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad