Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign RHD John Klingberg (1 year, $4.15M) | UPD 11/23: LTIR

horner

May 22, 2007
He already received his 2 mil signing bonus by December he will have received another million .
Put him on waivers at that time he may retire

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He already received his 2 mil signing bonus by December he will have received another million .
Can't put a player who is injured on waivers.

Reactions: banks

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Nope.....teams using LTIR do not accrue cap space.

They will only have $4.15 million in space
Right, I was out-thinking myself. They don’t get $4, they get whatever is left of $4 that Klingberg hasn’t used, which translates to a $4m contract pickup.

Depending on the time of posting either too much beer or not enough coffee.

Reactions: kb

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

For anyone who’s followed the Toronto Maple Leafs this season, the struggles of John Klingberg have been on full display.

Signing in Toronto on a one-year, $4.15 million deal, the 31-year-old defenceman hasn’t played in either of the team’s last two games while dealing with an unknown nagging injury.

And according to hockey insider Chris Johnston, the injury didn’t exactly get better while travelling with the team to Sweden for a pair of games in Klingberg’s home country.

While a lineup return was possible, Klingberg left midway through Saturday’s practice and did not play in either of Toronto’s games in Sweden.

“The John Klingberg situation is tough. He has tried to play through his injury; it’s not to say he won’t continue to, but obviously the results haven’t been good. He can’t move as well on the ice as he once did when he had his best seasons; he doesn’t have a lot of security in terms of just being on a one-year deal with Toronto,” Johnston said on an episode of The Athletic’s Leafs Report.

In 14 games this season, Klingberg has registered five assists in 20:33 of ice time per night, but he’s been on the ice for 19 goals against in the process, an average of 1.35 per night.

“Apparently his issues were made even worse by being on a couple of long flights heading over to Sweden and back. So I don’t know where that one ends up. I think you have a player there that is very proud; he gave an emotional scrum while we were in Stockholm just talking about how he just so badly wants to play again and get to a spot where he can do that,” Johnston added.

As for what’s next for Klingberg and the Leafs, the answers aren’t exactly apparent to Johnston.

“I don’t know if he is going to be able to [play for Toronto], to me that is the big question, and depending if he can or can’t then I think the decision flows from there. If can’t, he is probably going to be on long-term injured reserve and might free up some cap space for the Leafs to look into some other things,” Johnston added.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Apparently his issues were made even worse by being on a couple of long flights heading over to Sweden and back

What is it, on-going Sciatica?

Unfortunately, it happens. Health does have to take priority. Over his career he was able to make close to $38 million
Had a hell of a career. No shame in hanging them up, considering you went to the Stanly cup finals

I always feel sorry for younger players like Filip Chytll and Nolan Patrick, they are so young

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I’m surprised there isn’t a main board thread yet filled with the usual no-lifer trolls clamoring that we’re getting ready to circumvent the cap with Klingberg’s injury.
Doesn't the league have to approve each LTIR that takes a player out for the season?

If so, then what's the problem?

I'm curious if there is a max number of dollars that could be put on LTIR for players that will miss the rest of the season? Like the Leafs would have 3 if Klingber does go on it, along with Muzzin and Murray.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I think he has a NMC....which is unusual for a guy on a 1yr deal to have. Maybe he knew the chances of him shitting the bed were very high. I don't know why BT would give the NMC though...that is stupid.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I think he has a NMC....which is unusual for a guy on a 1yr deal to have. Maybe he knew the chances of him shitting the bed were very high. I don't know why BT would give the NMC though...that is stupid.
This is just wrong. Klingberg does not have a NMC; he has a ten team no trade list.

Posting that he has a NMC without taking 30 seconds to look it up? Read the last three words of your post.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Doesn't the league have to approve each LTIR that takes a player out for the season?

I'm curious if there is a max number of dollars that could be put on LTIR for players that will miss the rest of the season? Like the Leafs would have 3 if Klingber does go on it, along with Muzzin and Murray.

No, there is no limit.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

They don't have to "approve" it, no, but they do have they right to in conjunction with the NHLPA select a neutral physician to review the findings of the team physician if they want to challenge the LTIR designation.

These Robidas Island trips, they are legit medical conditions, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Now, what is possibly true about them is that they might be injuries that are lingering, long term-ish conditions that guys will play through until their careers are over, and they decide, mutually with the team, that instead of gutting it out they should go ahead and get the absolute best medical attention money can buy right away, in their best interest of course. ;)

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
These Robidas Island trips, they are legit medical conditions, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Now, what is possibly true about them is that they might be injuries that are lingering, long term-ish conditions that guys will play through until their careers are over, and they decide, mutually with the team, that instead of gutting it out they should go ahead and get the absolute best medical attention money can buy right away, in their best interest of course. ;)
I guess we'll find out next year that by some miracle Muzzin, Murray & Klingberg are playing with some other teams :)

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I guess we'll find out next year that by some miracle Muzzin, Murray & Klingberg are playing with some other teams :)
No no, there is only one way off Robidas Island.. they must find the hidden portal to Shanny's office. The reward for doing so is a front office job. Hell, Muzzin already has it.

Murray and Klingberg, there is an office in the Ford Centre for the next special assistant to goaltender/defence coach in charge of community development just waiting for them.

Reactions: Dayjobdave

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
If KLING lands on LTIR for the season that helps the team big time.
His cap space is more valuable than his play is the cold reality.
I think they’re waiting in Kane until they can complete the Klinger LTIR approval..

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I’m surprised there isn’t a main board thread yet filled with the usual no-lifer trolls clamoring that we’re getting ready to circumvent the cap with Klingberg’s injury.
I have no idea why other fan bases can't stay classy like Leaf fans who didn't say a peep when Kuch paid a visit to the island then was miraculously healed in time for the playoffs .

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think they’re waiting in Kane until they can complete the Klinger LTIR approval..
If the Leafs replace Klingberg with Kane, they will have somehow managed to replace one poor defensive player with an even poorer defensive player. That would be impressive.

Reactions: Da Mash

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
If the Leafs replace Klingberg with Kane, they will have somehow managed to replace one poor defensive player with an even poorer defensive player. That would be impressive.

You will never hear that he avoids contact ....etc .....Like the criticism Nylander takes here......

Also ....do you think Reeves has a hip and hand issues? I mean the guy cant skate either....and has hands of stone with the puck :)

Can we put him on LTIR till playoffs ?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You will never hear that he avoids contact ....etc .....Like the criticism Nylander takes here......

Also ....do you think Reeves has a hip and hand issues? I mean the guy cant skate either....and has hands of stone with the puck :)

I think that’s the only way Reaves can have any amount of positive value at this point, LTIR until the playoffs and then on the first shift of game 1 he runs the opposing goalie and gets suspended for life.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Reaves isn't injured.

Not sure where you're seeing this Nylander criticism but it's not on this board.
It's pretty much a universal love fest.

Reactions: hotpaws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad