Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign RHD John Klingberg (1 year, $4.15M) | UPD 11/23: LTIR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Lagesson has been fantastic and Benoit seems solid as well. I feel this teams problem has always been the forwards not working on the defensive side of the puck. This team needs a Kadri more than it needs a Zadorov.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Lagesson has been fantastic and Benoit seems solid as well. I feel this teams problem has always been the forwards not working on the defensive side of the puck. This team needs a Kadri more than it needs a Zadorov.
I agree we don’t need either and we need a top 4 rhd

Reactions: Ciao

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Feel bad for him, feel great for the team.

I will say, the way this has gone down is one of the strangest things I can recall. Keefe mentioned protecting him, which I took as his atrocious play, but it must have been the hips acting up, but doesn’t explain this escalation. They must have found something.
Terrible due-diligence at the time of signing

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He said he’s been dealing with it his entire career.

Which would be difficult to evaluate, if it was a problem that never impacted his quality of play, but then suddenly has.

I suppose if he's so banged up that he can't do anything but go on LTIR the rest of the regular season that will open up some options for the Leafs to bring on a bigger contract late in season. Then maybe re-activate Klingberg by April if things are aligned...

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Which would be difficult to evaluate, if it was a problem that never impacted his quality of play, but then suddenly has.

I suppose if he's so banged up that he can't do anything but go on LTIR the rest of the regular season that will open up some options for the Leafs to bring on a bigger contract late in season. Then maybe re-activate Klingberg by April if things are aligned...
Maybe as a last resort, but a rusty Klingberg off the play we've seen to date sounds more like a risk than a reward

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

if the def cant make quick transition, thats gonna hurt the offensive but still a D issue. so yes its the D the problem.

I agree we don’t need either and we need a top 4 rhd

need a #2 whi can play a 200 feet game whatever if LH or RH. exemple get Tanev who can maybe be the best RHD available not sure uf that will make leafs a much better team who was not good enough last season with Schenn...

still with the same problem with lack of quick transition on 2nd and 3rd pair

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
if the def cant make quick transition, thats gonna hurt the offensive but still a D issue. so yes its the D the problem.

need a #2 whi can play a 200 feet game whatever if LH or RH. exemple get Tanev who can maybe be the best RHD available not sure uf that will make leafs a much better team who was not good enough last season with Schenn...

still with the same problem with lack of quick transition on 2nd and 3rd pair
Honestly tanev is a big upgrade on schenn though he played good last playoffs

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Feel bad for him, feel great for the team.

I will say, the way this has gone down is one of the strangest things I can recall. Keefe mentioned protecting him, which I took as his atrocious play, but it must have been the hips acting up, but doesn’t explain this escalation. They must have found something.
Agree they must have found something from the sounds of it. Feels like they took him on the Sweden trip just because, if they had been playing 4 in 6 last week he’d probably already be LTIR’d.

Hope he’s ok long term for the person himself, also hope for Robidas Island for the Leafs sake. Plugging a $6m Dman sounds good. Or wait 20 more games and plug in an $8 mil guy.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agree they must have found something from the sounds of it. Feels like they took him on the Sweden trip just because, if they had been playing 4 in 6 last week he’d probably already be LTIR’d.

Hope he’s ok long term for the person himself, also hope for Robidas Island for the Leafs sake. Plugging a $6m Dman sounds good. Or wait 20 more games and plug in an $8 mil guy.
There is no cap accrual on LTIR, so sadly only $4 million

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Honestly tanev is a big upgrade on schenn though he played good last playoffs

on paper yes but do he will doing really more than what Schenn did last playoff when your considerate rielly-Schenn pair was probably 1 of 3 best defensive pair in playoff?!?!?!

so the 1st pair will still great and still have the same issu on 2nd and 3rd pair...so you still with the same exact problem, lack of transition when rielly is out of the ice...and whatever how good tou are to defend, if youre unable to move the puck, you wil defend again and again... and at the end for sure you will allowing more goal if you're just defending and its pretty hard to score goal.

so yes Tanev and exemple Zadoriv we heard a lot on rumor can defend... but my concern is who will help to move the puck. thats exactly why mccabe and brodie gio-holl/liljegren was struggling last post season and why leafs struggling to create offensive

sometime the best way to defend is just to play less in your own zone# morgan rielly. why he had been much better than brodie and mccabe is not because hes better defensive side, just because he was better to move the puck and keep the puck in the offensive end( so outside of his own territory). If leafs dont get that guy who can move the puck quickly and keep the puck in offensive territory, i just dont know how they can become better.

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Dumb question but are the players that sign during free agency going through some type of physical assessment from the team's doctors or are we blindly signing guys hoping for the best?

I'm just scared Bundy is gonna sign a one armed man next summer

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Terrible due-diligence at the time of signing
Yep the problems were going on in camp when everyone saw he can't skate anymore at NHL level .. what I don't know was if Tree was able to see him skate before he signed him .. anywho da talk around team as i have mentioned many times has been going on for quite some time about Klinberg on LTIR .. my best guess he goes on LTIR when Timmer comes back OR when a trade for Tanev and/or Zadorov occurs .. he had a great career and wish him all da best in retirement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad