Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign G Martin Jones (1 year, $875k)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And he did this with an .887 SV%.

He's a career .905. About as average of a 2nd stringer as you can get.
While playing in front of a 2nd year expansion team.

Seattle other goalie didn't fair much better who posted a .895 SV% and won only 17 games.

1691640426465.png

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

"His .895 save percentage since the 2018-19 season is 34th among the 34 goalies who have logged at least 150 games in that time."

Lol... only in Toronto would this guy generate so many headlines.

Don't be surprised if Jones ends up playing half the games. As the quote above indicates, recent history hasn't provided fans much assurances that quality netminding is a focus point for this team. Each season the goalies become increasingly more inexperienced.

Andersen >> Campbell/Mrazek >> Murray/Samsonov >> Samsonov/Woll

Now an injury prone unproven starter. Along with an injury prone unproven backup. And the worst goaltender in the league for relief.

The pedigree of the three combined doesn't give much confidence.

Gambling on cheap goaltending every year hasn't worked yet. The Leafs continue to get "goalied" each playoffs. This is their biggest bet yet.

It's a huge risk for a contending team to take on a pair of netminders who have played less games combined than Marc Andre Fleury has in the playoffs alone.

Along with the worst goalie in the league for relief.

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario

"His .895 save percentage since the 2018-19 season is 34th among the 34 goalies who have logged at least 150 games in that time."

Lol... only in Toronto would this guy generate so many headlines.

Don't be surprised if Jones ends up playing half the games. As the quote above indicates, recent history hasn't provided fans much assurances that quality netminding is a focus point for this team. Each season the goalies become increasingly more inexperienced.

Andersen >> Campbell/Mrazek >> Murray/Samsonov >> Samsonov/Woll

Now an injury prone unproven starter. Along with an injury prone unproven backup. And the worst goaltender in the league for relief.

The pedigree of the three combined doesn't give much confidence.

Gambling on cheap goaltending every year hasn't worked yet. The Leafs continue to get "goalied" each playoffs. This is their biggest bet yet.

It's a huge risk for a contending team to take on a pair of netminders who have played less games combined than Marc Andre Fleury has in the playoffs alone.

Along with the worst goalie in the league for relief.
While I definitely agree that we need to upgrade the goalie position, Jones IMO is a solid pickup for a #3G.

That being said, i'd honestly trade Marner for Sorokin or Saros + a small add. Been a long time since we had a real stud back there and IMO it is the most important position in hockey. By far.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
While I definitely agree that we need to upgrade the goalie position, Jones IMO is a solid pickup for a #3G.

That being said, i'd honestly trade Marner for Sorokin or Saros + a small add. Been a long time since we had a real stud back there and IMO it is the most important position in hockey. By far.

Thanks for the response.

I agree goaltending is the most important position. League average netminding will be good enough to get the Leafs into the playoffs. It won't be enough to get them into the finals though.

When he was in Calgary, Treliving brought in Markstrom, so I can see him wanting to make upgrading goaltending a priority here as well.

Hellebuyck is available....

Reactions: Frostitute

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Leafs bring in a guy who will only play games if we have an injury, and who has no cap impact if he doesn’t play. He offers NHL backup calibre goaltending and he can play a bunch of games if necessary. Has had hot streaks.

If he doesn't slip through waivers, literally costs the team a plane ticket and some Meal vouchers, so effectively a no-risk move to try to get an NHL goalie to the Marlies for insurance.

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Thanks for the response.

I agree goaltending is the most important position. League average netminding will be good enough to get the Leafs into the playoffs. It won't be enough to get them into the finals though.

When he was in Calgary, Treliving brought in Markstrom, so I can see him wanting to make upgrading goaltending a priority here as well.

Hellebuyck is available....
Don't think I've ever been thanked for responding before. You're welcome and thanks for not being a HF raving d*ckhead like some haha.

Yeah Tre did go out and make goaltending a priority in Calgary. Hopefully he does the same here. Unless he sees Sammy as a true #1?
My best guess is he needs some time to evaluate that as most of his attention is probably on filling holes in our D and trying to resign Matthews atm.

I'd love Helly in net but word is he is looking for 9+ on his next contract. Can't remember where I read that but at the time it seemed like a reliable source.

If his next contract is going to be that high would you still be interested? And if so what would you give and/or think we would have to give? Lets pretend it's a sign and trade with him extended for 8×9.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Don't think I've ever been thanked for responding before. You're welcome and thanks for not being a HF raving d*ckhead like some haha.

Yeah Tre did go out and make goaltending a priority in Calgary. Hopefully he does the same here. Unless he sees Sammy as a true #1?
My best guess is he needs some time to evaluate that as most of his attention is probably on filling holes in our D and trying to resign Matthews atm.

I'd love Helly in net but word is he is looking for 9+ on his next contract. Can't remember where I read that but at the time it seemed like a reliable source.

If his next contract is going to be that high would you still be interested? And if so what would you give and/or think we would have to give? Lets pretend it's a sign and trade with him extended for 8×9.

Hellebuyck and Nylander are looking for similar dollar amounts and are both on the last year of their contracts.

I don't know what the price is on goalies. I do know they are the cheapest position to trade for. If Winnipeg were to throw in a defenseman like Pionk or Schmidt, and the Leafs could make the cap work, I think that would be interesting.

I wouldn't mind seeing Treliving do something to finally fix the back end.

It's been neglected the last five years

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He's fine as a #3 (better than the Elliot rumour), but I'm not sure we should be paying a #3 above league minimum, and I imagine he'll just get claimed anyway.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Hellebuyck and Nylander are looking for similar dollar amounts and are both on the last year of their contracts.

I don't know what the price is on goalies. I do know they are the cheapest position to trade for. If Winnipeg were to throw in a defenseman like Pionk or Schmidt, and the Leafs could make the cap work, I think that would be interesting.

I wouldn't mind seeing Treliving do something to finally fix the back end.

It's been neglected the last five years
Paying goalies big money is one of the biggest mistakes in hockey. Goalies In general are inconsistent from year to year and even the elite ones usually only have 5 great seasons before they fall apart. Look at guys like Price and Bobrovsky. Both played amazing for a few years, got a huge ticket contract and then their games fell apart. Then they arent moveable. Even Vasilevskiy's game has fallen hard the last 2 years.

I love Hellebuyck but I'm not wasting a huge asset like Nylander on a goalie who wants 9M

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Paying goalies big money is one of the biggest mistakes in hockey. Goalies In general are inconsistent from year to year and even the elite ones usually only have 5 great seasons before they fall apart. Look at guys like Price and Bobrovsky. Both played amazing for a few years, got a huge ticket contract and then their games fell apart. Then they arent moveable. Even Vasilevskiy's game has fallen hard the last 2 years.

I love Hellebuyck but I'm not wasting a huge asset like Nylander on a goalie who wants 9M

Thanks for the response.

Nobody says you have to re-sign Hellebuyck. What if Treliving knew he couldn't re-sign Nylander. Who would you rather have on the roster for a Cinderella run this year and then lost to free agency after?

I'd take Hellebuyck.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Thanks for the response.

Nobody says you have to re-sign Hellebuyck. What if Treliving knew he couldn't re-sign Nylander. Who would you rather have on the roster for a Cinderella run this year and then lost to free agency after?

I'd take Hellebuyck.
Why not trade Willy now or even a month ago if that was the belief?

Reactions: ACC1224

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Why not trade Willy now or even a month ago if that was the belief?

Thanks for the response.

Maybe that wasn't the belief a month ago? It's been dragging on for a while. And Matthews openly admits it is delaying his own re-signing.

They should trade him before it jeopardizes the season.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks for the response.

I'd take Hellebuyck.
I'd rather not trade a huge asset in Nylander for someone who is also an expiring asset that we dont have a decent chance of re signing. That's bad asset management. I would rather solidify the defense then gamble on another goalie.

I've said it time and time again that having an elite goalie is great but you usually have to draft them and reap the rewards while they're cheap and that you don't necessarily need one to win the cup. There are many examples of non elite goalies winning the cup and you just need to be hot at the right time. Hill, Binnington, Kuemper, Niemi, Ward, Murray, Osgood. That's 8 cups in the last like 20 yrs won by goalies who weren't elite. Pretty decent percentage.

Samsonov and Woll are both young, with decent pedigree and potential to be those potential starters that could win a cup with a hot run and they're both cheap. I think it's more important to build a solid defense to insulate them.

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad