Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign G Martin Jones (1 year, $875k)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Samsonov was a 1st round draft pick.
For a goalie that is as good as a pedigree as you can get.

Jones and Samsonov were both tied for 11th in the NHL in wins last season.

Both ahead of a couple guys you may have heard of
Jarry

Samsonov, Jones, Woll add up to a combined $5.2 million cap hit.
Goalie is an area of depth and value for the Leafs.

Leafs finished with 111 points last year and last year Sammy and Martin Jones both played about 1/2 a seasons worth of games and both won 27 games each = 54 wins combined and 104 points in the standings. Nice safety net playing behind Woll and in case Sammy gets injured again.

If Jones can win 27 games in front of a 2nd year expansion team in Seattle, then playing in front of Leafs team considered a playoff contender and perhaps ATL Div winner why couldn't someone expect he could win similar games if forced into action due to injuries next year? Better team around a goalie should equal better stats.

Take Tristan Jarry for an example compared to Jones

1691691801802.png

Treliving goes to Arb with Sammy and wins and gets 1 year @ $3.55 mil for 27 wins & signs a veteran #3 Backup Jones who also put up 27 wins for $875k.

Meanwhile Tristan Jarry gets signed for 5 years @ $5.375 mil playing 47 games and 24 wins. Jones let in 131 goals last year compared to Jarry 128 GA.

PS. BT also magically made Matt Murray and his $4.687 mil disappear on LTIR who only played in 26 games last year and 14 wins.

Leaf Nation should be quite excited at the Leafs current goalie situation all things considered, where I believe Woll might the be the Leafs real goalie of the future and a current work in progress. :)

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Much rather him than kallgren as our 3G especially since Samsonov isn’t the most healthy goalie, he can step in as the backup when needed

Reactions: The Iceman

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
He was 11th in wins last season! And Andrew Raycroft once held our single season wins record for a starting goalie. All meaningless when you can't stop a beachball in crucial moments.

I remember when Jones was a highly coveted young goalie, hopefully he can have an Indian Summer with us and give us quality netminding when we need it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He was 11th in wins last season! And Andrew Raycroft once held our single season wins record for a starting goalie. All meaningless when you can't stop a beachball in crucial moments.

I remember when Jones was a highly coveted young goalie, hopefully he can have an Indian Summer with us and give us quality netminding when we need it.
If all goes well he never plays a game

Reactions: banks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well, we can certainly count on Leafs HF boards to crack us up in the summer.

Leafs employ the guy who wrote the cap rules... we've never had the problems that many Henny Penny's suggest we do, and yet they are still worried about our cap situation. Chill, it will sort itself out, always does.

Then we get the... OMG, we just signed a third string goalie/#8 D/depth forward, and they weren't Vezina/Norris/MVP's last year. No sh!t sherlock... that's why they are available in the middle of August, for league minimum, or near league minimum. That's why they are depth, and not starting players. It's like these people are new to the sport, and have never seen the quality of what depth players are.... and at the same time... OMG, they suck so bad.. .and they'll get claimed off of waivers... Umm.. if they suck so bad, why again are they going to get claimed off of waivers... oh, that's right, they are the best depth available, even if you most certainly wouldn't want them in your top two, or top six D, or top 12 forwards.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Well, we can certainly count on Leafs HF boards to crack us up in the summer.

Leafs employ the guy who wrote the cap rules... we've never had the problems that many Henny Penny's suggest we do, and yet they are still worried about our cap situation. Chill, it will sort itself out, always does.

Then we get the... OMG, we just signed a third string goalie/#8 D/depth forward, and they weren't Vezina/Norris/MVP's last year. No sh!t sherlock... that's why they are available in the middle of August, for league minimum, or near league minimum. That's why they are depth, and not starting players. It's like these people are new to the sport, and have never seen the quality of what depth players are.... and at the same time... OMG, they suck so bad.. .and they'll get claimed off of waivers... Umm.. if they suck so bad, why again are they going to get claimed off of waivers... oh, that's right, they are the best depth available, even if you most certainly wouldn't want them in your top two, or top six D, or top 12 forwards.

It's because the haters are all secret Leafs fans. Last month there was a rumour that Toronto would sign Brian Elliott as their #3, and that thread had 5+ pages too. All full of haters who can't stop thinking and posting about the Maple Leafs.

Funny enough, a bunch back then were saying that there were better options, like Jones. Here now the Leafs really sign Jones, and the haters still come. Some pay more attention to the Leafs than their own teams.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
View attachment 735150

this guy sucks.

b-b-b-b-but he was tied for 11th in wins!!
Samsonov had 27 wins on the Leafs and he is seen as Leafs starter, and makes them a Cup contender

But Martin Jones had the very same 27 wins last year on a 2nd year expansion team but he sucks. Seattle finished as a playoff team with 100 points based on Jones contributing 27 wins to the cause.

When is 27 wins on 1 team not the same than on another because they count the same in the standings as 54 points towards the teams overall points standings?

If anything a player on a weaker team that gets to move to a stronger team should have his personal stats improve.

Case in point : Samsonov moving from Washington to Toronto increased his wins record by +4 moving from 23 to 27 wins.. Leafs got 8 more points in the standings out of Sammy than Caps did the previous season.

1691701900168.png

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Samsonov had 27 wins on the Leafs and he is seen as Leafs starter, and makes them a Cup contender

But Martin Jones had the very same 27 wins last year on a 2nd year expansion team but he sucks. Seattle finished as a playoff team with 100 points based on Jones contributing 27 wins to the cause.

When is 27 wins on 1 team not the same than on another because they count the same in the standings as 54 points towards the teams overall points standings?

If anything a player on a weaker team that gets to move to a stronger team should have his personal stats improve.

Case in point : Samsonov moving from Washington to Toronto increased his wins record by +4 moving from 23 to 27 wins.. Leafs got 8 more points in the standings out of Sammy than Caps did the previous season.

View attachment 735175

Wins tends to be a team stat though.

Last edited:

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Best depth/3rd goaltending you can ask for. MJ is capable of starter caliber play in short stretches, similar to Campbell. Didn't think we could get and keep him but perhaps there's a plan.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
He's a backup goalie. On a pretty good team he'll do fine given the chance. If not Woll will if they can keep all 3.

Not sure what the big deal is here. Insurance is good.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It was already mentioned, but the Pickard/McEllhinney situation came to mind. This time it's Samsonov/Woll, but the last time it was Andersen/Sparks. One moment we had good goalie depth, and the next it got taken by the wind. If Jones gets picked up on waivers we're still in good shape IMHO.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I love Woll but there is no guarantee he’s an NHLer at this point, have to have some insurance. Plus injury.
They have to find out if he’s capable this year so he needs a minimum of 30 games, but 45 would be better.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

View attachment 735175

Didn't you spend the entire offseason telling us that Samsanov was going to be worse than Campbell because of wins or something like that?

Wins are probably the worst way to compare goalies.

Reactions: Roadhog and vpasla1

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Besides Samsonov and Woll, no other Goalie in the org has played in the NHL. You need some type of NHL experience with your #3. He played 48 games last year.. won 27.. I doubt many other teams have a better veteran #3G.

Exactly. We just stacked up in net with an overqualified #3. And hence me asking why. You typically can't keep three good goalies - have to lose one on waivers. My fear is that it will be Woll getting sacrificed, as we stubbornly stick to a veteran strategy.

Where did I say any of that?

And it could be both, just ask Seattle. He helped save their season and was a major reason for them making the playoffs, then went back to being garbage.

Because Woll wont pass through waivers and Samsonov is the starter. They signed Jones to be number 3, and to be number 3 he must pass through waivers.

Which part is difficult for you to understand? I will help as much as i can.

You said it. to be number 3 he must pass through waivers. You really think 31 teams are going to pass on him at league minimum? The second we try to bring him up he's gone.

Surely Trev knows this himself, so it seems to be a pointless signing... unless the point is to make him the #2 and lose Woll.

I don’t think this signing means they don’t have confidence in Woll. It means they don’t want to thrust one of their prospects in the AHL into playing games they may not be ready for if Samsonov or Woll get hurt.

Ideally Jones plays in the AHL all year. Either no one gets hurt or one of the prospects steps up, out plays Jones and shows that they are ready.
This isn’t like signing a Dman to push Liljegren out of the lineup, it’s like signing Gambrel to play in the AHL and be ready to be called up if needed. It would be great if no one ever got hurt and they needed to call Gambrel up, it would be great if a forward prospect stepped up and got the call up instead. But otherwise it’s nice to have experience down there if we need it

Yes, Ideally Jones plays in the AHL all year. But he didn't sign to do that. there's no way at his age he believes he's done being an NHLer and that he'll be a Marlie for 50 games. He's probably being signed to play in the NHL and that's what scares me.

Do you even have any understanding of our "young cheap players" with respect to goalies?

Which one of these guys do you want to be our #3 Goalie, when there is inevitably going to be injuries to one of our top 2?

Goalie A/ Total North American experience
Toronto MarliesAHL25.280.849

Goalie B/ Total AHL Experience.

30 games2.93.908

and the other two have never played a game in the AHL.

So a combined 32 games in the AHL... and no games in the NHL. Seriously, give your head a shake, if you think these guys have earned their shot yet. Maybe Goalie B gets a look later in the season, if they excel with the Marlies.... but you would still prefer to have someone with experience.
Look. I don't really concern myself with the Marlies all that much. If you do, that's great. If you say they need one more better goalie, I will take your word for it. My problem with this is he has no plans to just be an AHL goalie and he won't pass through waivers unclaimed, which tells me he likely will never be put on waivers.... meaning Woll will be.

If we needed a better AHL goalie, there have to be a couple dozen out there who don't threaten Woll's place in the organization.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is how I look at it, we have Woll, who should be our #1 but lack exp and the fact that he hadn't play as a No.1 in the NHL in terms of games played. He might get tired out.
Then we got Sammy, who has proven to play as a No.1 in terms of NHL games played plus he is pretty good.
Last, we got Jones, who had been a No.1 NHL goalie for the past seasons.

Yep none of them are Helle or Vas but they all can play and thats pretty good goaltending depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad