Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
You’re looking forward to someone sucker punching someone?

When Matthews was getting rag-dolled would you have wished the remaining Leafs had bloodied the Hab? All four try to tear his nose off his face?
Not sucker punching, but if we are playing a team that is running our stars and face washing and rag dolling skill players after the whistle, I think I’m ok with having players that don’t ask the rag doller if they would like to be held accountable for their offence.

So… not endorsing Domis shot on Ekblad there, but I’m ok that Ekblad knows if he throws a bunch of cross Checks on Matthews it could happen again.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is a fanbase that has many still upset that Nylander got like $250k more than they wanted 5 years ago. Reaves is one of the worst players in the league making $550k more than league minimum.
‘Many still upset….’ seems over dramatic and exaggerated. Perhaps you’re upset by that but I don’t think anyone else is.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not sucker punching, but if we are playing a team that is running our stars and face washing and rag dolling skill players after the whistle, I think I’m ok with having players that don’t ask the rag doller if they would like to be held accountable for their offence.

So… not endorsing Domis shot on Ekblad there, but I’m ok that Ekblad knows if he throws a bunch of cross Checks on Matthews it could happen again.
There are a ton of maxillofacial surgeons looking for work, so knock out a few chiclets.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
This is a fanbase that has many still upset that Nylander got like $250k more than they wanted 5 years ago. Reaves is one of the worst players in the league making $550k more than league minimum.
You said "best real tough guy in the league" wrong.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Looks like the Dubas fan club is just looking for things to put the new GM down over. Don’t worry he’ll make some mistakes along the way, this one seems silly to focus on.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Looks like the Dubas fan club is just looking for things to put the new GM down over. Don’t worry he’ll make some mistakes along the way, this one seems silly to focus on.
If Mirtle and Siegel don't like the player/contract then...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I suppose they don't understand that

Marner + Matthews + Tavaras + Nylander + Reaves = as many Hits, Fights and Pims as a single Tkachuk and Leafs have 2 of them in their Division.

Leafs core 4 is very talented offensively, but as soft as butter and its embarrassing watching a player like Matthews get rag-dolled and just sit there laughing, as the core 4 have zero push back ability.

That is why players with bite like Reaves + Bertuzzi and Domi are required to help balance out a roster and compensate for items missing from your star players when the going gets tough, as it always does come playoff time.

You don't have to like a player like Reaves, but you have to understand that he is there to make the opposition feel a little less comfortable and the Leafs harder to play against because of what he brings to a line-up.

Reactions: ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You don't have to like a player like Reaves, but you have to understand that he is there to make the opposition feel a little less comfortable and the Leafs harder to play against because of what he brings to a line-up.
The problem is that he makes the Leafs easier to play hockey against because of what he brings (or rather, doesn't bring) to a lineup.
I'd rather win than get the opposition all riled up and looking to go headhunting our stars when they're not on PPs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I promise you it's very possible to think this is a stupid contract without any thought of the previous GM. That seems pretty silly to focus on.
If only that were true. Be nice if they could just let it go, he’s not coming back.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not sure how anyone can compare Reaves to what Simmonds was last year.

That hit Reaves laid out on Hronek was more impactful than just about anything Simmonds was able to do last year. Simmonds lost a ton of foot speed which prevented him from making that big play.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not sure how anyone can compare Reaves to what Simmonds was last year.
For the record, what was being discussed was the willingness of the refs to let our players who are better fighters than their opposition fight, and how they misallocate them penalties and misconducts for existing. They were not being compared as players, though neither are NHL quality at this point, so comparing them is kind of pointless anyway.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If our leaders are a quiet bunch in the room and on the bench and they ignore/shun a guy who comes in to try and change/fix that then maybe we need to look at this core and shake things up. At some point you have to put your foot down after you give them everything they want and the best they can do for us in the last 7-8 years is give us 5 wins in the playoffs in 1 year.

Isn't this exactly what many have been saying for at least 3 years now?

How many guys have they tried to bring in to fix / change things?

Reaves will be no different. He'll be praised by the "cool kids" publicly and ignored privately.

Reactions: justashadowof

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The Dubas fan club think it's Marleau all over again since it's 3 years on an over 35 contract

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Reaves will be no different. He'll be praised by the "cool kids" publicly and ignored privately.
They’ve been doing it wrong though. They’ll now have sandpaper on 3 of 4 lines. Hopefully it gives the softees some backbone.

Reactions: andora and egd27

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Only leader I'd say they brought in who seemed to have an outgoing personality like Reaves off the ice was possibly Thornton and he was around during a pandemic year.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
We shouldn't gloss over that adding a veteran leader to the team hasn't been attempted over the past 5 seasons. Jason Spezza was a captain or an assistant captain for 7 years of his NHL career. Wayne Simmonds was an assistant captain for 5 seasons. Ryan O'Reilly has been a captain or assistant captain for 6 NHL seasons. Mark Giordano was an NHL captain for 9 seasons. Joe Thornton was an assistant captain or captain for nearly two decades.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Sure hope we got a good PK , with those hot heads we brough onboard, the refs are going to have a hay day vs Toronto. If we are not going to win the cup at least it will be entertaining.

There is always frontier justice when the refs are being shady...

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Sure hope we got a good PK , with those hot heads we brough onboard, the refs are going to have a hay day vs Toronto. If we are not going to win the cup at least it will be entertaining.

There is always frontier justice when the refs are being shady...

With those hot heads we bruh on board.

I can't wait for Reaves to have his first fighting major. Me and my bruhs will have a beer drinking/chest thumping Bro-downnnnnn...

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: andora

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
There seems to be a faction of people who bring up Dubas or embarrass themselves by using words like Dubasite whenever they're in disagreement. This was an utterly horrible deal. Reaves will have no impact in the playoffs when it matters. Bringing up Dubas seems to be your issue. No one else's.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Look at the players who left: O'Rielly, Acciari, Schenn and Bogosian, amongst others.

Look at the players who refused to sign here: Lucic and Gudas that we know of so far.

I think it's pretty clear why Treliving had to give Reaves a three year deal above league minimum. Because nobody else wants to babysit these sucks. The entire league knows this is the biggest collection of gutless hockey players in the world.

It's not like Treliving woke up one morning and said "Screw it, I'm gonna sign a guy who's 36 years old with 59 goals in over 800 games played to a three year deal paying a million bucks a year".

This was an act of desperation. The last resort after plans A, B, and C all fell through. This wasn't something Treliving did because he wanted to do it.

He did it because he didn't have any other choice.

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
With those hot heads we bruh on board.

I can't wait for Reaves to have his first fighting major. Me and my bruhs will have a beer drinking/chest thumping Bro-downnnnnn...

;)
I hope his gutsy fight is the dirt bag that took Knies out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad