Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
O'Reilly said something about character issues in the room but he left because he didn't want to be in the spotlight. Hence Nashville.

Acciari wanted to come back but got 2M for the next 3 yrs. He likely wasn't getting that here.

Schenn wanted to come back but got 2.75M for 3 yrs in Nashville. He definitely wasn't getting that here.

Bogosian left because of the covid restrictions in Canada.

Lucic didn't sign here because of the rivalries from his Boston days. He said that on Spittin Chiclets in this week's episode.

Gudas didn't sign here or in Edmonton because of the Canadian media

Thanks for the response.

They all have valid reasons for not wanting to play here, I'm sure. The fact remains they didn't sign here. Reaves was the only one.

Reaves wasn't Treliving's first choice.

Not even Treliving's second choice. He was Treliving's last choice. That much is clear.

When you want a moose steak, but can only get ground beef, you make hamburger and tell everyone that's what you wanted the whole time.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
True for Dubas teams but now players need to think twice before taking cheap shots at our players because they know they will soon thereafter have to answer to Reaves. Reaves was not brought in to arrange parties as some have claimed, he knows his role.
Actually, I’ve heard him say that arranging parties was part of his roll after he mangles a few Bruins faces.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I can see the potential concern some may have with this being a 3 year contract. No doubt. Seemed a tad long.

I really don't understand how anyone thinks that we didn't need to get significantly tougher. A lot of the additions this summer have addressed that and hopefully there are a few more coming.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Anyone that's played any level of contact sports understands that it feels much easier to play the game when you have the toughest guy in the league on your team.

Really? Cause I never felt that. I just knew how to protect myself and not put myself in vulnerable situations.

Also, not sure he is the toughest guy in the league, for sure one of them though. I just point this out because everyone thinks Reaves is some unstoppable force... he's not.

True for Dubas teams but now players need to think twice before taking cheap shots at our players because they know they will soon thereafter have to answer to Reaves. Reaves was not brought in to arrange parties as some have claimed, he knows his role.

Reaves is far from a deterrent though... I'd argue Domi is because he is a headcase and will jump someone who is unwilling to fight. Reaves won't just grab someone and punch them.

Unless you think I said the first thing, I’m not sure what makes this confusing.

The biggest misconception seems to be that a deterrent is going to prevent all incidents. Bigger deterrence will prevent more, but still not all.

You don’t need a physical deterrent to win, but you definitely do need some kind of intimidation to win.

Being scored against and losing is more intimidating than 8 mins a night of Reaves...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Also, not sure he is the toughest guy in the league, for sure one of them though. I just point this out because everyone thinks Reaves is some unstoppable force... he's not.
The only thing he has a case for being best in the league at is fighting (and supposedly party planning), but that's about it, and that's the least impactful "tough" you can be.
Especially in Toronto, where he'll likely get the Simmonds treatment and be immediately blocked from fighting and penalized at every turn.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Watched some videos of Reaves hits...I will say the guy does not hesitate to take out other team's best which is a welcome sight.

Our guys get targeted all the time.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Reaves is far from a deterrent though... I'd argue Domi is because he is a headcase and will jump someone who is unwilling to fight. Reaves won't just grab someone and punch them.
Reaves still has a presence on the ice and will fight anyone remotely tough on the other team, especially if they try to pull shit. Can't imagine he'd let guys like Gudas or Bennett or Jeannot get away with shit. I'd argue that he'll help some of the guys play a bit 'bigger' too.

He's the kinda guy to make the other team second guess themselves as they don't know when he's on the ice and he's capable of this:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He shouldn't have to do that to Stamkos. Matthews is such a p***y.

You want a guy with fragile wrists throwing punches?

-------------------------

It's going to take a great deal, for Reaves to become relevant for us. He's just not good enough to be on the ice, when we need a tougher guy.

Guys like Schenn, Comtois provide a bit more of that... asteriks with Comtois ** 2018 WJC... even Foote with similar asteriks fought a number of times last year. Crouse as much as he's a power forward, had one fight last year. But, still would be a good addition to the physicality. I'd take Jack McBain or Adam Lowry.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I would have wanted him to do it years ago to send a message that there could be some bite back.

Really? Cause I never felt that. I just knew how to protect myself and not put myself in vulnerable situations.

The fact that you thought about being in vulnerable positions proves the point. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, everyone does it, but that’s the whole reason deterrents absolutely do work.

Being scored against and losing is more intimidating than 8 mins a night of Reaves...

For some people, sure. Though just because one deterrent works better than another doesn’t disprove the existence of deterrents…

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The funniest part is that he even did throw punches. When anybody else on any other team does what Matthews did, it gets held up as an example of a player that pushes back.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I would have wanted him to do it years ago to send a message that there could be some bite back.

The fact that you thought about being in vulnerable positions proves the point. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, everyone does it, but that’s the whole reason deterrents absolutely do work.

For some people, sure. Though just because one deterrent works better than another doesn’t disprove the existence of deterrents…
Someone once said, “Our power play is our enforcer. “

Another person once said something along the line of…We know it‘s going to an easy game.….

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The problem is... he's had fragile wrists for years. I mean, I'd love to see him stand up for himself.... and at least be able to wrestle a bit, instead of being ragdolled.... even if he doesn't throw the punches, he has some size and strength... use it.

It's going to take a great deal, for Reaves to become relevant for us. He's just not good enough to be on the ice, when we need a tougher guy.

Guys like Schenn, Comtois provide a bit more of that... asteriks with Comtois ** 2018 WJC... even Foote with similar asteriks fought a number of times last year. Crouse as much as he's a power forward, had one fight last year. But, still would be a good addition to the physicality. I'd take Jack McBain or Adam Lowry.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The vulnerable position I am talking about is something like being hit from behind, which won't change by having goons on the team.

I'd say most men don't care about the deterrent of Reaves... anyone who he is going to try to fight is someone who wouldn't be deterred.

This convo is pointless though.

Reaves will be most effective for the team if he has a hard forecheck, if he can be effective there, I welcome him and will say I was wrong about it being a dumb signing... the rest of his "skills" are pointless.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Matthews did throw some punches at Stamkos afterwards when he had no choice. Those punches were embarrassing. No one is asking Matthews to fight but hold your own when you need to.

When Konecny who’s half his size tried going after him, we needed a 40 year old Gio racing down to tackle Konecny. Matthews with his size should be able to grab Konecny and just wrestle him down to the ice.

Maybe Reaves can show Matthews a thing or two. Lol.

Reactions: egd27 and Fogelhund

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The problem is... he's had fragile wrists for years. I mean, I'd love to see him stand up for himself.... and at least be able to wrestle a bit, instead of being ragdolled.... even if he doesn't throw the punches, he has some size and strength... use it.

The Leafs get guys 10 yrs too late.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Reaves still has a presence on the ice and will fight anyone remotely tough on the other team, especially if they try to pull shit. Can't imagine he'd let guys like Gudas or Bennett or Jeannot get away with shit. I'd argue that he'll help some of the guys play a bit 'bigger' too.

He's the kinda guy to make the other team second guess themselves as they don't know when he's on the ice and he's capable of this:

If he is effective outside of fighting, I will be very pleased and welcome him. If he brings a hard forecheck and puts it to use, great. I think he is ineffective at pretty much everything else, so I will be happy if he can do that.

I don't think Bennett or Gudas are fighting Reaves, so not sure he helps too much there.

If he makes people second guess themselves based on effective forechecking/hitting, great, but I don't know if he is going to be super effective with that, I hope he is.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Leafs get guys 10 yrs too late.

I thought we should have kept and extended Schenn and Acciari. I wanted McBain, and Comtois ** as well. I think Schenn and Acciari received bigger contracts than their worth though.

I'm good with Bertuzzi, and mixed feelings with Domi. Domi really isn't physical, but he's shown the ability to play C, and put up some points in the right circumstances, and is greasy in scrums. I don't hate the Domi signing, not really a big fan of it either. Klingberg... I mean... for $4 mil? I don't get that one, that's 10 years too late for sure.

I don't know where Domi plays... but if he plays with Matthews, and someone touches Matthews... it wouldn't be shocking to see Domi sucker punch someone. I guess that's good?? Bertuzzi might be the better fit on the Matthews line play wise... just not sure how much he's going to stand up for Matthews.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We have refused to draft them for the previous half decade.

How many of the ones we drafted before worked out?

There are a handful of good power forwards in the league and I think the only one we had a shot at was Tkachuk if you want to pass on Matthews.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad