Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Suspended for life? lol

I am sure Graves is innocent in this matter also.

Was sarcasm... just was pointing out for something not too bad it was 2 games... but the poster said that the DOPS will respect Reaves

It's been decades since they were the tougher team in a series.
Probably just a coincidence that they haven't had any success either.

Minny has been the toughest team in almost every series they played, same with Calgary...

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Not any more than any other team experiences. Heck, we've dished out some pretty big hits and done some damage ourselves.
And the point is Reaves isn't going to change a thing about whatever you think happens.
A team is not going to change their game plan because we have Reaves.
A player who thinks it is in the team's best interest to play a certain way isn't going to stop playing a certain way.
A player who would cheapshot and try to injure players is going to continue cheapshotting and trying to injure players.
These are top tier professional athletes, and anybody playing that way especially is going to know how to take a 10 second fight against a better fighter (assuming it's not immediately broken up), and accept that as a potential part of their job. It's not going to change their job. They're not scared of Reaves, no matter how much some people here want them to be, or think they would be because they themselves would be.

No we haven't. That's not why we've lost. In fact, we've been most hurt in the playoffs over the years by our players doing that.

That's not what we've been missing, and we're literally less tough than last year.

Matthews brings plenty of physicality. And the actual useful kind.

And what exactly is going to happen to his teammates if he "steps out of line"?
Is he going to tell them he's going to give them a little slappy slap and a free PP?
Is he going to yell down these threats from the press box?
I'm sure Stamkos and his teammates are going to be so scared and just go hide in the corner for the rest of the series, shaking. :eyeroll:
A team doesn't have just one game plan for every other team. They adjust based on the matchup, and players adjust based on the game plan. There's also the human element that you completely reject because they're 'pros' even though we are talking about a sport that involves real violence.

Leafs did dish out some big hits. In game 1 vs Cats, Chucky was smashed clean three times by Schenn and McCabe and he wasn't 100% after that. Unfortunately we lost virtually every puck battle.

Florida employed the heavy handed physical strategy against Boston. They came out of the gate full tilt and were able to overcome the significant skill disparity. Both teams got pretty banged up. Florida was a horror story of injuries by the time they were done. Bruins received the brunt of the carnage.

We don't want to be Bruins next year and Reaves could help in a way that Gudas did.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
We had a tougher team than Tampa one year and one of our players got suspended in the first 5 minutes.

This isn't the first time we have tried to add some grit.

I think this signing is largely nothing... it isn't the worst signing, although I do think it is bad/pointless, but the team won't win or lose by the signing, we may just end up losing someone like Timmins because of it.

Also, wasn't this the year that Tampa was trying to amp up the roughness... a lot of good that did them, Jeannot was their worst player and he was brought in to do what Reaves does but with more skill.

What other additions did we add that focus on this?

Domi is crazy, not physical.
Bertuzzi is a rat.

Treliving did this in Calgary and it didn't help much.

The most exciting thing I've heard from Reaves (assuming I am remembering right) is he dropped some weight and was focusing on getting quicker. He could be effective on the forecheck, right now, until I see this improved speed out of him, I just think we overpaid someone who should be in the pressbox.
The term is too long and if he is healthy scratched for the playoffs then the signing will be a failure. Hoping he plays and contributes. Doing that in year 3 seems pretty unlikely.

My read on Tampa is they come out tough but they don't amp things up unless it's in response - and they have been quite able when necessary. A good framework for the Leafs.

Reaves, Bert, and Domi start to present a problem. It moves us closer to a point where other teams won't get nasty unless they have to. Why deal with that.

Reaves is not Clifford. Reaves has established a brand of being the toughest player in the league for a reason. If you watch him out there he skates around like he owns the place. If he can maintain pace he is the best bang per buck we can get in this department.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The term is too long and if he is healthy scratched for the playoffs then the signing will be a failure. Hoping he plays and contributes. Doing that in year 3 seems pretty unlikely.

My read on Tampa is they come out tough but they don't amp things up unless it's in response - and they have been quite able when necessary. A good framework for the Leafs.

Reaves, Bert, and Domi start to present a problem. It moves us closer to a point where other teams won't get nasty unless they have to. Why deal with that.

Reaves is not Clifford. Reaves has established a brand of being the toughest player in the league for a reason. If you watch him out there he skates around like he owns the place. If he can maintain pace he is the best bang per buck we can get in this department.

Honestly, I'd probably rather Clifford at league minimum vs Reaves at double it. Not saying Clifford is good, just not sure 1.35 should be going to 8 mins a night.

I suspect Domi will "protect" our stars more than Reaves since he actually will play with them.

I don't think Bert adds much to the toughness, he is just annoying.

Domi is tough but not in his style of play, he just inherited a massive head that hurts to punch and the ability to throw some too.

I don't see the team being much tougher than last season, but I will say again, if Reaves can keep up with the play and be heavy on the forecheck, I will be much happier about the signing. Bringing him in to keep everyone in line is dumb.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's been decades since they were the tougher team in a series.
Probably just a coincidence that they haven't had any success either.
After they were swept by Columbus they made a decision to change their attitude and they turned into pack.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He adds a dimension to this team that we've had other years. It changes nothing.
Cant be any worse then watching Matthews get pushed around by another star player (Stamkos) who isn‘t afraid to mix it up when needed or Willy duck down to the ice to avoid a hit or Marner throw the puck away to avoid a hit Or the most serious was Knies getting dummied and injured with out any of our so called leaders doing a dam thing about it.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
A team doesn't have just one game plan for every other team. They adjust based on the matchup, and players adjust based on the game plan. There's also the human element that you completely reject because they're 'pros' even though we are talking about a sport that involves real violence.
A team generally has their own game plan and play style, and while they would slightly adjust according to the team they're facing and their strengths and weaknesses, they're not adjusting anything for Reaves. You seem to be promoting the idea that teams are only physical against and cheap shot us, that cheap shots are a result of our team composition, and that having a player like Reaves (who is pretty similar to players we've already had in the past) is going to somehow stop players from dishing out cheap shots. All things that you haven't actually brought any evidence of.

I'm not ignoring the human element, but you're assuming that the reactions you might have to something are the exact same as a professional athlete in peak physical form that has embraced a certain style of play and prepared for and accepted dealing with certain types of ramifications and responses as part of the job that they're being paid millions of dollars for. There's no evidence that the potential for a fight or reaction is going to alter the decision of somebody who is going to throw a cheap shot. If anything, Reaves is more likely to elevate the temperature of a game and invite that kind of action while hurting our team's ability to play effective hockey and stay out of the penalty box.
Cant be any worse then watching Matthews get pushed around by another star player (Stamkos) who isn‘t afraid to mix it up when needed or Willy duck down to the ice to avoid a hit or Marner throw the puck away to avoid a hit Or the most serious was Knies getting dummied and injured with out any of our so called leaders doing a dam thing about it.
None of those things even happened, and nobody had a chance to prevent Knies from getting injured. Wasting 1.35m for the next 3 years is worse than not doing that.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
It is like they have no pride, or value any sort of team dynamic. I wonder what they would be like if a family member gets attacked (God forbid). Do you think they would just stand there?

Reactions: Nineteen67

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
A team generally has their own game plan and play style, and while they would slightly adjust according to the team they're facing and their strengths and weaknesses, they're not adjusting anything for Reaves. You seem to be promoting the idea that teams are only physical against and cheap shot us, that cheap shots are a result of our team composition, and that having a player like Reaves (who is pretty similar to players we've already had in the past) is going to somehow stop players from dishing out cheap shots. All things that you haven't actually brought any evidence of.

I'm not ignoring the human element, but you're assuming that the reactions you might have to something are the exact same as a professional athlete in peak physical form that has embraced a certain style of play and prepared for and accepted dealing with certain types of ramifications and responses as part of the job that they're being paid millions of dollars for. There's no evidence that the potential for a fight or reaction is going to alter the decision of somebody who is going to throw a cheap shot. If anything, Reaves is more likely to elevate the temperature of a game and invite that kind of action while hurting our team's ability to play effective hockey and stay out of the penalty box.
In game 1 of a playoff series, an opposing player will be less likely to target Mattys hands or face wash him after the first whistle if they know that it will be met with an equal or greater response, through the remainder of the series, to the infractor, a teammate, or multiple teammates. Imagine playing against 20 Reaves, what's the game plan?

You don't open up a speed game if you're the slower team either. It doesn't make sense.

Reaves by himself isn't sufficient to earn the Leafs that respect, which is why he gets less than 2% of the take. But he's a big variable in the equation.

We're not going to be the broad street bullies and win playoff series by overwhelming physical force but we need to reach a minimum threshold in that department so that our competitive advantages can be activated.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In game 1 of a playoff series, an opposing player will be less likely to target Mattys hands or face wash him after the first whistle if they know that it will be met with an equal or greater response, through the remainder of the series, to the infractor, a teammate, or multiple teammates. Imagine playing against 20 Reaves, what's the game plan?

You don't open up a speed game if you're the slower team either. It doesn't make sense.

Reaves by himself isn't sufficient to earn the Leafs that respect, which is why he gets less than 2% of the take. But he's a big variable in the equation.

We're not going to be the broad street bullies and win playoff series by overwhelming physical force but we need to reach a minimum threshold in that department so that our competitive advantages can be activated.

Some people will never understand this concept no matter how many times its spelt out for them.. Some will believe it makes no difference if you have a Ryan Reaves or a Denis Malgin in your line-up the opposition will not treat you differently. :)

If you have 2 houses side by side and one house has a Pit Bull guarding the premises and the other a Poodle, which one is more likely to be a deterrent against being robbed?

You're 100% correct that Reaves is only 1 piece and by itself its not enough, however if you add a Tyler Bertuzzi and a Max Domi to your top 6 that also bite you can see the idea is to create push back ability physically.. You can also see why our new GM went after and offered contracts to Milan Lucic and Radko Gudas .. "Both Milan Lucic and Radko Gudas revealed in separate interviews that Toronto GM Brad Treliving had pursued them in unrestricted free agency".

Treliving has recognized Leafs core 4 forwards greatest weakness is their soft style of play, with little to no push back ability physically themselves, so you have no recourse but to fill the roster around them with players with enough backbone and ability to dictate physical play that the Leafs can activate it themselves as a proactive competitive advantage, rather than a few spot players that can only push back retroactively when provoked by the opposition style and level of physical play.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafEgo

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
They were tougher than Tampa in the series with Clifford/Simmonds... unless players down the lineup don't make a team tougher, and then I don't know why anyone is happy about this signing.

They were not tougher than Tampa at any time. Even with both Simmonds/Clifford in the lineup, the rest of the team was so soft it didn’t matter. They played a combined 6:22 in 3 games that series.

Just because Ryan Reaves isn’t enough doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right direction to go. Adding Bertuzzi and Domi help, but we’re still soft because the core 4 is soft.

Reactions: Nineteen67

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They were not tougher than Tampa at any time. Even with both Simmonds/Clifford in the lineup, the rest of the team was so soft it didn’t matter. They played a combined 6:22 in 3 games that series.

Just because Ryan Reaves isn’t enough doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right direction to go. Adding Bertuzzi and Domi help, but we’re still soft because the core 4 is soft.

What does Bertuzzi add to toughness? People always confuse toughness with rat-like behavior.

This team is not as tough as some teams in the past, and Reaves is not some unstoppable force, he doesn't add anything we didn't have before.

I will repeat again, Reaves will be best for us if he is hard on the forecheck, that is the only way he will start to get people thinking before they make a play, nothing else he does will help.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
What does Bertuzzi add to toughness? People always confuse toughness with rat-like behavior.

What is your definition of hockey toughness?

This team is not as tough as some teams in the past, and Reaves is not some unstoppable force, he doesn't add anything we didn't have before.

When the core is as soft as it is, it’s tough to supplement.

Reaves is like nothing we’ve had in a long time.

I will repeat again, Reaves will be best for us if he is hard on the forecheck, that is the only way he will start to get people thinking before they make a play, nothing else he does will help.

That is how he will be most effective, but you’re being intentionally obtuse on this topic.

Reactions: weems

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In game 1 of a playoff series, an opposing player will be less likely to target Mattys hands or face wash him after the first whistle if they know that it will be met with an equal or greater response, through the remainder of the series, to the infractor, a teammate, or multiple teammates.
Yes, that's the myth. Where's the evidence? Also, we've had players that can respond to that every year, so even if your theory were true, it being Reaves instead now doesn't change anything. And by this logic, if Reaves goes out there and starts stuff, the other teams is going to respond and injure our stars? That doesn't sound great.
Imagine playing against 20 Reaves, what's the game plan?
Skate circles around them and laugh as you win 100-0.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

1691247672073.png

Ryan Reaves a step in the right direction graphically. :wg:

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Yes, that's the myth. Where's the evidence? Also, we've had players that can respond to that every year, so even if your theory were true, it being Reaves instead now doesn't change anything. And by this logic, if Reaves goes out there and starts stuff, the other teams is going to respond and injure our stars? That doesn't sound great.

Skate circles around them and laugh as you win 100-0.
Exactly. It doesn't involve popping the first one in the mouth.

What's the evidence that punishment deters bad behavior? Reaves is judge, jury, and executioner. It's also deterred as a result of simply being a bad game plan.

I have been quite clear that Reaves on his own is insufficient, and that we have been insufficient in the past as well.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That is how he will be most effective, but you’re being intentionally obtuse on this topic.

He said he worked on his speed, so I really hope that is the case. There is a reason why the NYR didn't play him.

He should probably be in the press box, and it worries me that we went after Reaves, Lucic, and Gudas. It is like we are trying to punch our way toa. cup.

View attachment 733663

Ryan Reaves a step in the right direction graphically. :wg:

You still haven't answered this question when I asked.

You constantly say that cups are won with good defense.

Every player we brought in is bad defensively, why are you happy about the signings?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He said he worked on his speed, so I really hope that is the case. There is a reason why the NYR didn't play him.

With Reaves in the lineup, New York went to the conference finals. He played 9:25 over 18 of their 20 games.

Last season they traded him away and lost in the first round.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Seems Schenn was plenty tough for us that series.
My real concern is that Keefe stopped that type of play, hence why it didn't happen in the Fla series. Let's hope the new gm instills that type of play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad