Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It is like they have no pride, or value any sort of team dynamic. I wonder what they would be like if a family member gets attacked (God forbid). Do you think they would just stand there?
Agreed 100%. Sticking up for a teammate even after he has been injured by a hack on the other team is what build a team. A team that will do whatever it takes to win.
We do not have that, we have a group of talented individuals that care more about the money, fame, personal accolades then each other. Such a shame to see this talent wasted

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With Reaves in the lineup, New York went to the conference finals. He played 9:25 over 18 of their 20 games.

Last season they traded him away and lost in the first round.

Clearly, this is the reason.

Minnesota added him and won the cu..... oh wait, they lost in the first round.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What's the evidence that punishment deters bad behavior?
No, where is the evidence that a professional hockey player that would target Matthews' hands or face wash him will change that behaviour and not do that because a player like Reaves is on the other side. That's very different and more complex than a simple "punishment deters bad behaviour".
It's also deterred as a result of simply being a bad game plan.
Why does the viability as a game plan change?

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Adding Reaves won’t eliminate all aggressive play by the other team, but when Florida was running around we had no response, other than some hits by Luke.

Of course the DOPS has probably already pre filled a suspension notice with Reaves’ name on it, but keep reflecting back on Marner saying “we have one of those guys for once”

Maybe everyone plays a little taller

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
What is your definition of hockey toughness?

When the core is as soft as it is, it’s tough to supplement.

Reaves is like nothing we’ve had in a long time.

That is how he will be most effective, but you’re being intentionally obtuse on this topic.
He can't skate fast enough to forecheck.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
The league moved on from goons years ago and now we decide to sign the gooniest of goons to a 3 year deal at 35.

I guess we're playing some 3D chess here.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The league moved on from goons years ago and now we decide to sign the gooniest of goons to a 3 year deal at 35.

He’s probably not viewed as a goon by the league. Teams every year sign these players, there must be a reason, doesn’t seem like they moved on.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Reaves is a very good open ice hitter. Hitting is about position, timing and spacing, not speed. I think this is the element he brings that we lack. His pugilistic skills are a bonus.
Note many of these hits are on the forecheck

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Reaves is a very good open ice hitter. Hitting is about position, timing and spacing, not speed. I think this is the element he brings that we lack. His pugilistic skills are a bonus.
Note many of these hits are on the forecheck

I think it's an okay deal.

He has to seek out retribution, and risk Leafs treatment at the DOPS.

Tom Wilson - 17+ minutes
Ryan Reaves - 9+ minutes

Late hits, high hits, hits on the numbers ... Leafs get away with those?

Reactions: saltming

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
now do Wilson vs Reaves contract $$$

Obviously, Reaves isn't a good player so he isn't getting Wilson numbers.

I said it's an okay deal, he's a 4th. liner he isn't getting 2nd./1st. liner money.

His impact isn't going to be Wilson, hopefully it's going to be a better Simmonds.

What question is he going to be the answer for?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
What is your definition of hockey toughness?

When the core is as soft as it is, it’s tough to supplement.

Reaves is like nothing we’ve had in a long time.

That is how he will be most effective, but you’re being intentionally obtuse on this topic.

There's also two different types of toughness.

There's the more obvious like... Punching someone, fighting or doing something borderline to intentionally intimidate the opponent.

Then there's the less obvious like... Finishing every check, standing in and consistently taking hits to clear the puck from dangerous areas, winning 50/50 board battles, taking the puck directly to the front of the crease and into traffic where you could get levelled, blocking shots, playing very physical in front of your own net and making life tough for opponents.

In the playoffs your time and space goes down and you really need to earn your ice. I think many Leafs fans would agree that we can still get tougher by doing more of the non fighting things listed here and play a more physical style.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think it's an okay deal.

He has to seek out retribution, and risk Leafs treatment at the DOPS.

Tom Wilson - 17+ minutes
Ryan Reaves - 9+ minutes

Late hits, high hits, hits on the numbers ... Leafs get away with those?
Good question. His hits don't seem late though. I've seen people hit him late in retaliation to which he seems unfazed. Maybe this is the demeanor that we don't know of because we hardly see him play?

Reactions: Duffman955

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Reaves is an NHL player the same way I am.

He's not.

He's like a boat anchor on top of a mountain. Not supposed to be there. And useless as all hell.

Unless you want to fill up the goals against column and penalty box.

But he somehow bamboozled Treliving into giving him a three year deal. Paying over a million bucks a year no less. I imagine Reaves is just as bewildered as the rest of us by it too.

He knows he's not worth it.

Every now and then Keefe will dress him for a "rough" team. Reaves will punch someone in the face. Then it's back to the press box for the next game.

It's mind boggling he's even in the NHL still.

If they wanted a useless heavyweight hockey player they could have just hired me. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. On paper the team would be a LOT heavier.

I'd be more than happy to sit in the press box gorging on hot dogs to keep my weight up.

• Haha
Reactions: leafsfan2point0

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With Jeannot, lucic, Wilson, Xhekaj in the conference, we’ll need him, at least in the reg season,

Why?

Wilson is the only one who is actually effective, the rest are borderline NHLers (Xhekaj may get better, but he's a 6/7).

Most of these guys will be hidden against our top guys and play a couple of shifts per game against them.

Reaves won't protect anyone, Domi may.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
As anyone on here who has played junior or pro hockey knows all to well having da toughest guy on da ice on your bench makes everyone else on team play a foot taller and much more tough .. and it makes every single guy on other bench think twice before doing anything stupid ..

Real simple ..don't overthink .. spreadsheets are not relevant here

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
As anyone on here who has played junior or pro hockey knows all to well having da toughest guy on da ice on your bench makes everyone else on team play a foot taller and much more tough .. and it makes every single guy on other bench think twice before doing anything stupid ..

Yeah he's going to add snot for sure

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yep you get it or you don’t. Most get it.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021

Yep you get it or you don’t. Most get it.

for sure. The Leafs would regularly get bullied in recent years. That happened less when Simmonds was on the ice despite him not having much in the tank anymore. Absolutely the Leafs can benefit from what Reaves brings to the game. They are actually pretty desperate for it.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
for sure. The Leafs would regularly get bullied in recent years. That happened less when Simmonds was on the ice despite him not having much in the tank anymore. Absolutely the Leafs can benefit from what Reaves brings to the game. They are actually pretty desperate for it.

Oh wow so the two other mediocre 4th liners were safe for the max 10 minutes/game Simmonds was on the ice with them. How reassuring.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

It's why Vegas won the cup when he was there and why the NYR were a force.

Simmonds is usually the toughest guy in the game too.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Reaves is an NHL player the same way I am.

He's not.

He's like a boat anchor on top of a mountain. Not supposed to be there. And useless as all hell.

Unless you want to fill up the goals against column and penalty box.

But he somehow bamboozled Treliving into giving him a three year deal. Paying over a million bucks a year no less. I imagine Reaves is just as bewildered as the rest of us by it too.

He knows he's not worth it.

Every now and then Keefe will dress him for a "rough" team. Reaves will punch someone in the face. Then it's back to the press box for the next game.

It's mind boggling he's even in the NHL still.

If they wanted a useless heavyweight hockey player they could have just hired me. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. On paper the team would be a LOT heavier.

I'd be more than happy to sit in the press box gorging on hot dogs to keep my weight up.
Leafs could trade Reaves for Mcdavid and you’d still complain lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad