Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

First look at Ryan Reaves in his Toronto Maple Leafs gear​

When the free agent market opened on July 1st, the Toronto Maple Leafs wasted no time in putting pen to paper with veteran enforcer Ryan Reaves, signing him to a 3-year deal, worth $1.35M per season.

Leafs GM Brad Treliving spoke following the signing, revealing that while Reavo's tenacity and strength were important qualities, he was actually brought in to add another dynamic to the room, which he had viewed as a bit of a "quiet group" prior to Reaves' arrival.

Reaves spoke about what he can bring to the group following his signing, admitting that he will try to be the glue that holds the team together and keeps them close both at home and on the road.

1690377496737.png

Not only will Reaves act as a bit of a deterrent on the ice, protecting the Leafs' top players and dissuading the opposition from taking liberties on them, but he'll also serve an important role off the ice with the team, keeping everyone together and building some additional chemistry and also doing valuable work within the community.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

First look at Ryan Reaves in his Toronto Maple Leafs gear​

When the free agent market opened on July 1st, the Toronto Maple Leafs wasted no time in putting pen to paper with veteran enforcer Ryan Reaves, signing him to a 3-year deal, worth $1.35M per season.

Leafs GM Brad Treliving spoke following the signing, revealing that while Reavo's tenacity and strength were important qualities, he was actually brought in to add another dynamic to the room, which he had viewed as a bit of a "quiet group" prior to Reaves' arrival.

Reaves spoke about what he can bring to the group following his signing, admitting that he will try to be the glue that holds the team together and keeps them close both at home and on the road.

View attachment 731300

Not only will Reaves act as a bit of a deterrent on the ice, protecting the Leafs' top players and dissuading the opposition from taking liberties on them, but he'll also serve an important role off the ice with the team, keeping everyone together and building some additional chemistry and also doing valuable work within the community.
Looks good in the kit, it’s too bad this pic wasn't taken prior to an alumni game

• Haha
Reactions: mclaren55

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Without Reaves signed, any of Robertson, McMann, Gambrell, and Steeves could have played and we'd be cap compliant with 12-7-2

We will see how they do it, but signing Reaves could potentially make us lose someone like Timmins.

When has an enforcer ever acted as a deterrent?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is just an incredibly stupid, knee-jerk move.

They say we need toughness? Great! I'll just get the toughest one of 'em all! This'll make Matthews and Marner score in the playoffs when we need them!

Just completely oblivious to the real needs of the team, and/or completely unwilling to pay the price to get the kind of players we need to balance out our top-6.

And we just wanted him so bad that we just had to lock him up right as free agency opened up. I just can't even.

Dubas would not be making moves like this. We needed changes but keeping the coach and the core 4, and adding a goon doesn't constitute change.

This is the bleakest offseason I can remember. There's zero reason for optimism right now.

He had permission to talk to other teams, he was locked up before free agency started

Without Reaves signed, any of Robertson, McMann, Gambrell, and Steeves could have played and we'd be cap compliant with 12-7-2

We will see how they do it, but signing Reaves could potentially make us lose someone like Timmins.

When has an enforcer ever acted as a deterrent?

If they lose Timmins it will not be because they signed Ryan Reaves

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If they lose Timmins it will not be because they signed Ryan Reaves

Which newly signed player is the reason? They knew the cap restraints they had.

Reaves is the obvious odd man out who has virtually no reason to be on the team.

He also conveniently allows any of those players to play, making our team better, and we keep our 7D.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Which newly signed player is the reason? They knew the cap restraints they had.

Reaves is the obvious odd man out who has virtually no reason to be on the team.

He also conveniently allows any of those players to play, making our team better, and we keep our 7D.

I mean you could use your argument for any of the new guys signed, it applies to them all just change the dollar amount from 1.3 million, to 5.5 million, or 3 million, or 4.15 million.

That's what makes it a dumb argument, you have choosen Reaves but you could apply it to Bertuzzi, Domi or Klingberg.

As for Gambrell, Robertson and Mcmann I don't them playing for the Leafs, Robertson because he's to injury prone, the other 2 are AHL Fodder

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I mean you could use your argument for any of the new guys signed, it applies to them all just change the dollar amount from 1.3 million, to 5.5 million, or 3 million, or 4.15 million.

That's what makes it a dumb argument, you have choosen Reaves but you could apply it to Bertuzzi, Domi or Klingberg.

As for Gambrell, Robertson and Mcmann I don't them playing for the Leafs, Robertson because he's to injury prone, the other 2 are AHL Fodder

Reaves is useless, the others are NHL players, I guess that is why I used Reaves. He is going to play 6 minutes of bad hockey, deter no one from doing anything, organize some good parties, and get paid 1.35

Reactions: al secord

danny90

Nov 27, 2019

Id rather give them a chance than waste time on Reaves who is just not good at hockey

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

And it would be incredibly Leafy to win a trade, have a young dman put up a 50+ season pace before he was moved to a winger for some reason, then lose him on waivers and have him do it for another team the next several years

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
[Tweet]

With Domi, Bertuzzi, Reeves & hopefully another tough defenceman this should be the Leafs in the playoffs.....

They almost missed the playoffs and got carried by Bob in the playoffs, I am not sure this did anything... having said that, I look forward to Domi sucker-punching Ekblad or someone else on Florida if this happens again

Ekblad said scores will be settled (they weren't). That is soft, at least don't make the threats.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
They almost missed the playoffs and got carried by Bob in the playoffs, I am not sure this did anything... having said that, I look forward to Domi sucker-punching Ekblad or someone else on Florida if this happens again

Ekblad said scores will be settled (they weren't). That is soft, at least don't make the threats.

Hahaha agree

Reactions: arso40

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I absolutely love that attitude. So different to our guys.

That is needed.

They did this in the Vegas series a lot, turns out being better at hockey is the answer, not this.

It's fine to do but seems like there is no influence on the game.

I don’t see the downside anymore with this guy once I realized we could bury him in the minors if he has nothing left. Let it go Dubists.

He is currently the reason we need to trade or waive someone.

Orrrrr we can run the well-received 11-7

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don’t see the downside anymore with this guy once I realized we could bury him in the minors if he has nothing left. Let it go Dubists.

If he's buried, there would still be some carry over right? I think we can only bury like 1.15 / 1.3M or something

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Has nothing to do with anything other than it was a dumb signing. He can't be fully buried, which means waiving him and bringing up a min salary player won't do it.

Now the Leafs are forced to trade someone who can play because they overpaid for someone who can't. Hope the Tre lovers can quickly get used to this shoddy style of managing, because it's his pattern.

Reactions: arso40

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Klingberg is the problem we didn’t need him what so ever especially at 4.5. Everyone on these threads have said for years that we are soft and have nobody to stick up for their team or themselves, Reaves is the answer here. No way he plays 3 years he’ll be retired after this year or the next

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad