Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
That's a lot of hits in the highlight video. I'm expecting at least a few fights but if he can throw some big hits in there, I think the tune on him will change greatly. We've paid a lot of so called goons who didn't do any gooning, if he can actually bring some havoc that will be a big change from the past goons who didn't goon.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Remember when the Leafs told us all they were no longer going to employ no talent goons?

Then proceeded to do exactly that.

First Simmonds, then Clifford, now Reaves. It speaks volumes to the Leafs need for grit they added a 36 year old with 129 points in over 800 games played. On a three year deal, no less.

For $1.3M a season.

What I really wish is the players the Leafs already have would grow a pair. A team of guys who can punch faces AND play good hockey would be nice. Instead of having to waste millions of dollars and a roster spot on a no talent goon who is tough but can't play.

They already had that in Simmonds.

And Clifford.
Dude wtf are you talking about.

Who the f*** are these 60 goal scorers who go and fight?

Every team has players on the 4th line who barely contribute offensively.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
LOL. Because I say this is the bleakest offseason ever, it means I love and am proud of the other offseasons?

Looking at each offseason "in the moment" without the benefit of hindsight, there was reason for some sort of optimism or hope nearly every summer. This year it's nothing but gloom. We need a fundamental change in the team and we're not getting it. All we've done is cast off the GM that had the ability to find value players to tinker around the edges, and brought in a guy who's made awful moves so far and has not signalled he's interested in any of the changes the team actually needs.

1993: The team had come out of nowhere to almost make the SCF with a rookie goaltender and we kept literally the entire roster together. Furthermore, we managed to come out of the season with TWO first round picks. Every reason to believe "Next year is our year"

1994: The Clark/Sundin trade was the biggest move, which was obviously polarizing but everyone could at least see how it could be a home run. We also picked up Mike Ridley, an excellent player, for nothing. The Mike Craig pickup was intriguing too. He sucked, but there was reason to believe that was a winning move. and Kenny Jonsson is probably going to step in and make the team. Optimism.

1995: Fletcher made a really compelling case for that young Russian defenseman he picked up, Yushkevich. That kid Warriner that we got in the Sundin trade is probably going to play. Zdenek Nedved looks like he'll make the roster. Mironov for Murphy! How did we pull that off??? Wow, this team is going for it!

1996: This is a contender for a bleak offseason. We thought we had a team built for the playoffs, we had brought in Muller, Gagner, Clark and Schneider. But we had a really disappointing first round. What's next? Are we in the running for Gretzky? Aw, shit, he went to the Rangers. Oh well, the gang's all here, still. Wait, what? Gartner gone for Nothing? Gagner gone for nothing? Gill for Jamie Baker? We've got those two european forwards Berezin and Modin coming in, but there's no doubt about it, this team has taken a step back.

1997: OK, we had an off year, but we got rid of Murphy and still have a good #1 in his prime to anchor the D. Clark had a good year, he's coming back. We got three really good assets for Gilmour, and all of them are going to play. That Mike Johnson kid who came in from college in March looks good. Berezin and Modin another year older. We signed Korolev and 2-time 38 goal scorer Derek King. Our top forward, defenseman and goalie are 26-28. Did we just successfully retool? Maybe! Too bad we couldn't successfully pry that Ohlund kid away from Vancouver, but wasn't that fun?

1998: Well, last year sucked, but there's lots to look forward to! Pat Quinn! And the top free agent jewel, Curtis Joseph. I'm not expecting much from Steve Thomas, but let's see how that goes. And apparently that Kaberle kid we got in the 9th round in 1996 might actually stick. And we have an excellent 2nd goalie now who can't possibly stay as a backup. Can't wait to see what we get for him in a trade.

1999: Wow, what a year that was. We got to the 3rd round and we're a really young team with lots of runway. That alone lends itself to tons of optimism. We get a full year of Bryan Berard this time. Picked up Hoglund as a free agent - maybe he'll mesh well with Sundin? And 70 point scorer Khristich! Sucks that we lost Sullivan but Khristich is better, I'm pretty sure.

2000: Another good year, but we ran into a New Jersey meat grinder. Our young, soft team needs some help. Enter Roberts, Corson, and Manson. Talk about a statement offseason. And then right before the season starts, we somehow turn freaking Karpovtsev into McCabe? You love to see it. Can't wait for the playoffs already.

2001: Well we sure gave New Jersey a run for their money this time. We just need a little something to get us over that hump. How about Alexander Mogilny? And to bolster the middle six, ex-Legion of Doomer Mikael Renberg, two time 88+ point scorer Robert Reichel, and once point-per-gamer now evolved into a checker Travis Green? Wow, can you say DEEP? This team is going for it! I love it.

2002: We got to the conference finals with a severely depleted roster. But still - Not a great offseason for optimism. Curtis Joseph left us and we replaced him with Belfour, who had a bad season and is even older than Cujo. We traded Yushkevich for Svehla! (see avatar). I love this guy! Always have. But basically we are running it back with a team that just ran out of gas. Hard to see it working out. Still, we'll be in the mix, like we always are. Let's see how it goes.

2003: So Quinn's going to just coach now, and we got a good, young bright up-and-comer in JFJ. He picked up Ken Klee, a solid veteran D, and Joe Nieuwendyk, a winner through and through. And that Stajan kid we drafted is closer to ready than we thought. Thank goodness Eddie the Eagle is not done yet. And we get a full season of Owen Nolan. Our window is still open, let's throw everything we have at this season before the lockout.

2004: lockout year. Can't get any more bleak when you have an old team and half of them are threats to retire. Have we seen the last of Nolan as a Leaf?

2005: TONS of reason for optimism. The dust from the CBA negotiations has barely settled, and we've just added Ontario boys in their primes - Lindros, O'Neill, Allison! Wow, are we ever going to be deep. And the rest of the gang is still here, other than 40 year old UFAs. Sucks we don't have Nolan, though. We really came out of this looking good. the realities of the new NHL have yet to hit us. Super optimistic.

2006: well if last season proved anything it's that this team is not good enough. we should really be looking to tear it down to the studs. Sundin, Tucker, McCabe, Kaberle could get us a lot back in trades. This Tavares kid is coming up in '09, this is good timing. Oh, we signed Kubina? well, he was a #1 D-man on a cup winner not too long ago. And Peca, well everyone loves Peca, right? and Hal Gill is solid too. I guess we didn't really miss the playoffs by all that much. Who knows what a change in the mix can do. And I really don't like that Rask for Raycroft deal, but we had to move on from Eddie, and besides, we still have Pogge. If you squint really hard, he's as good of a prospect as Rask.

2007: We were so close to the playoffs with a team built on Sundin and 28-31year olds. Raycroft wasn't terrible, I guess, and Maurice got a lot out of a lunchpail bottom-six. We really should be tearing it down, but since we aren't.... damn, we signed Jason Blake? That's a lot of money and term, but I guess he did just score 40 goals and maybe he's just what we need for Sundin. Still..... not feeling good about this core. If it wasn't good enough in 2006 or 2007, why would we think it's good enough in 2008 if you just add Blake to it? This Toskala guy better be good since we paid so much for him. I thought Raycroft was supposed to be the guy?

2008: after three years of just barely failing to make it, finally we can see some real changes. I like it. McCabe gone. Sundin gone. Tucker gone. Kaberle will be a good trade piece. So will Kubina. Jeff Finger? Well, Fletcher seems to be really high on him. This Luke Schenn seems like a winner. This is not a playoff team, and we didn't quite go down to the studs, but it's a start.

2009: Wow, Burke's first offseason sure was interesting. We paid a lot but getting Phil Kessel was a huge coup. We needed an actual needle-moving blue chipper on this team and we got him. a couple of solid free agent defensemen can only help. And I've been waiting for this Kulemin kid for years, let's finally see what we can do. And we got a new goalie out of Europe. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I can't help but feel like this team is trying to go young AND compete at the same time, and could fail at both goals.

2010: I think we are heading in the right direction. Versteeg is coming off a cup win. First full year with Phaneuf. First full year with Bozak. These guys can help. We might turn the corner.

2011: Everyone good on our team is 24-28. First full year with Lupul. This Jake Gardiner guy looks unreal in preseason, can't wait to see him more. I think Kadri makes the team permanently. Wow, did we seriously just get James Van Riemsdyk and all it cost us was Schenn? This kid Tyler Biggs we drafted is going to be the next Lucic!

2012: OK, we've got a young team that's making strides, and Kadri is going to make the team full time, for real this time! Jay McClement is a great under the radar signing, we need a guy like this to help team defense. We're going to turn the corner now.

2013: Well, I sure don't like how it ended, but we made the playoffs, and didn't even have to scratch and claw to get there. With such a young team led by studs Kessel and Phaneuf. Clarkson has scored 30 goals before and can really balance out the top-6, give it the look that it needs. He's a Toronto boy who bleeds blue and white. The term and money really scare me, but I really want to see this pan out. Also, Bernier could be our goalie of the future. Lots to like here.

2014: Really bad offseason. So much for our playoff team. Back in the dumpster. Clarkson was a dud. I hate to say it, but it's time to admit that this core isn't nearly good enough and what started as Burke's retool has failed. Tear it down to the studs please. What's that, you're going to run it back with the exact same core? GREAT.....

2015: YES! We traded Kessel. We are not trying to ice a competitive team this year. Look at all these ragtag misfit veterans we're signing. What is this, even? After a decade, is tank nation finally getting their wish? I love it, sign me up. Babcock is the biggest name in the business, and could be the guy to see us through a rebuild and come out the other side. And we just drafted Mitch Marner who might be the 3rd best player in the draft, at 5th overall. Things are really looking up.

2016: First overall pick! Auston Matthews! Now this is a guy you win with. I nearly hit my head on the ceiling when they won the lottery. We got a guy who is probably a legit #1 goalie. Babcock still here. And Nylander coming in along with Marner, wow, this is going to be a really interesting year!

2017: Back to the playoffs, and we're there to stay. This young team is only getting better and better. Window is officially open. Bring it on. that Marleau contract is scary, but he will help.

2018: OMG! Tavares! For nothing but the cap space. I love it. Bring on next season. With a one-two punch at center like this, how can we possibly lose? What a great first offseason for our young, bright, up-and-coming GM! We won't even miss Bozak and JVR.

2019: Kadri had to go, and I guess Kyle did the best he could with that one. Kerfoot might replace Kadri, and Barrie is at least a warm body. Spezza at leage minimum is good. This Mikheyev guy is promising. Ceci is a huge question mark but we got out from under Zaitsev and Hainsey. Gardiner and Marleau won't be missed. Thank goodness Marner is locked up now.

2020: As is becoming routine, we did not like how that season ended. But with the right tinkering around the edges and the core getting a year more mature, there's lots to like. Thornton coming in at league minimum. Brodie was a huge add. Good asset management with Johnsson and Kapanen.

2021: again, we didn't like the result. But this offseason was dubas going full Dubas. So many value signings and almost all of them paid off: Bunting, Ritchie, Kampf, Kase, Amadio. We have Campbell for another year at next to nothing and he's our guy, he's clearly proven he's better than Andersen, and this gives us room to have a better lineup.

2022: Definitely a "meh" offseason. Tinkering around the edges. Added checkers: Gaudette, ZAR, Jarnkrok, NAK. Big changes were in net. Goodbye Campbell, you couldn't get the job done and still became too expensive. Murray at retained salary is intriguing. Samsonov possibly a huge add. Good call letting Spezza go. Time for a new look bottom six. Let's run it back and hope we get the bounces this time.

2023: Getting really concerned here. We learned beyond a shadow of a doubt this spring, that this core just can't get it done in the playoffs. It's too much money to just four too-similar forwards. Something's gotta give. Dubas can figure it out. He admitted in his press conference that it's maybe the way to go. Oops, we fired him and hired the most vanilla GM we could get. And he wants to keep Keefe. And the core four. And is so attached to Kampf that he had to give him 9.6M over 4 years before free agency opened. And thinks Ryan Reaves is the answer to our toughness woes. And Nylander's NMC kicks in. And I'm like the only person in all of Leafs nation who believes trading Tavares is possible if you just make him uncomfortable. And Matthews is a UFA in one year and I can't decide if it's worse to lose him for nothing, or pay him $15M for 8 more years in which he'll probably score about 14 playoff goals and win one round in one of those 8 years. Yes, this is bleak. We have a very talented team in its prime with a wide open window and we are completely unwilling to make the big, bold moves necessary to take the next step. We stubbornly believe we already have everything we need. It's disgusting.

So in conclusion, I haven't been this disheartened by a Leafs offseason in my life, but 1996, 2007 and 2014 came really close.
Making a player uncomfortable is a bad look on any franchise. If that's the type you are, I agree some of those were quite awesome things to see, however if you thought some of those aged players would bring much more their careers were over. I was a younger kid then and also didn't realize the age regress factor. Some true bleed blue players and I believed. But to think that team was better then this team without highlight is silly. The gap of TJs contract and the number of players that scored more points over this tender here. He has 24th most points not many FAs. Will match that and paid maybe a million or too less. Covid is a uno reverse card. It's known today so we can apply it now. In those seasons we had no idea of cap ramifications and the yield to player development... if you think it didn't hurt Jr players and those draft years you would be mistaken. So I don't worry to much as those leaf teams drafted way worse. The fact they wanted Sundin is wild, I think he would have made us laugh when people said Forsberg was better. Leafs roster made it look close. However I also believe if he had it as easy as Forsberg did with his talented teammates. He wouldn't have became the player he was.

I feel you let feelings jump the gun on your report and it's hard because those are alot of let downs. However not many of those years did we get the best coup of free agents either. We always missed the needle movers or didn't have the pro scouts to see them develop. McCabe was an example of a good trade. Not retaining Leetch was horrible. More of those moves when they had the money they did. With no cap.

Reaves and Domi both fight on opening night, 100% guaranteed.
The brothers vs the new blood?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230705-133952_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705-133952_Facebook.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 10

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Reaves is the best fighter in the league.

I honestly think that is debatable. MacDermid is up there. I feel Gudbranson is probably a top fighter too.

No clue who else.

To me, it is absolutely insane how well Simmonds does (not sure he has clearly lost a fight), because every good fighter I can think of is huge and he is so tiny in comparison.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
That's a lot of hits in the highlight video. I'm expecting at least a few fights but if he can throw some big hits in there, I think the tune on him will change greatly. We've paid a lot of so called goons who didn't do any gooning, if he can actually bring some havoc that will be a big change from the past goons who didn't goon.
He has been one of the hit leaders every year of his career including several clear wins in that category and many top-10 finishes. That is in around 8 minutes a night. The man likes to throw the body.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Making a player uncomfortable is a bad look on any franchise. If that's the type you are, I agree some of those were quite awesome things to see, however if you thought some of those aged players would bring much more their careers were over. I was a younger kid then and also didn't realize the age regress factor. Some true bleed blue players and I believed. But to think that team was better then this team without highlight is silly. The gap of TJs contract and the number of players that scored more points over this tender here. He has 24th most points not many FAs. Will match that and paid maybe a million or too less. Covid is a uno reverse card. It's known today so we can apply it now. In those seasons we had no idea of cap ramifications and the yield to player development... if you think it didn't hurt Jr players and those draft years you would be mistaken. So I don't worry to much as those leaf teams drafted way worse. The fact they wanted Sundin is wild, I think he would have made us laugh when people said Forsberg was better. Leafs roster made it look close. However I also believe if he had it as easy as Forsberg did with his talented teammates. He wouldn't have became the player he was.

I feel you let feelings jump the gun on your report and it's hard because those are alot of let downs. However not many of those years did we get the best coup of free agents either. We always missed the needle movers or didn't have the pro scouts to see them develop. McCabe was an example of a good trade. Not retaining Leetch was horrible. More of those moves when they had the money they did. With no cap.
Hey, I appreciate the thoughtful response instead of just needling me.

We shouldn't care if something that we did in the interest of winning is a "bad look on our franchise". How Vegas handled MAF was a bad look for them, do you think anyone cares about that now?

We shouldn't just say "oh well we're stuck with JT, can't do anything" unless we explore all options first. I don't believe this team can win with him taking up that space and then when he's finally gone, Matthews and Marner are 28. I think you can see that his raw point totals are not an accurate representation of his value as a player. He's a second liner making $11M, which is bad enough, but when he's the 4th best of four offensive-oriented forwards making a ton of coin, it's hard to build a strong, balanced lineup. But whatever, we've all been over this a million times. Everyone knows if that $11M was invested in two other players at other positions we'd be better right now. Point is, he's bad for this franchise right now. We can't win with him. And if we recognize that, then we should be doing everything possible to get him out of here.

Just to be clear, when I recounted all those offseasons I wasn't saying they were all awesome. Some were, some seemed awesome but actually weren't, some were meh, but in nearly all of them we were given a reason to feel optimistic or hopeful. As I pointed out in those examples, sometimes you had to squint hard or suspend your disbelief, but living in those moments there was reason to believe what they would work out.

The 2023 offseason didn't start well at all. The last few days go to show you that it's months long, not a week long, and the outlook can change quickly. 2023 now looks a lot more like any number of past offseasons as opposed to eclipsing 1996, 2007 and 2014. I said what I said in the moment and it was true and correct - in the moment. You're free to think that my comments look silly now. But there was lots to come, still. There is reason to believe that Domi and Bertuzzi are just the kind of pieces the Leafs need to make a run. But up to and including the Klingberg signing, this summer stunk to high heaven.

Reactions: Its not your fault

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Dude wtf are you talking about.

Who the f*** are these 60 goal scorers who go and fight?

Every team has players on the 4th line who barely contribute offensively.

The only two other sixty goal scorers in the league have dropped the mitts a lot more times than Matthews ever has:

Here's Stamkos

Here's Ovechkin:.

Every team has players on the 4th line that barely contribute. Not every team employs 36 year old goons and pays them millions of dollars on a 3 year term to be a presence on the bench and not much else.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I am coming around to this signing now. I think when it was the only signing made on July 1, I was just so confused. Coupled with the departures of Schenner, ROR, and cookie. But when you bring in Bert, Klingberg, and Domi in place of the departed, the entire UFA window is a success in my mind.

We need a culture change IMO. Reavo helps with that majorly. He's a feared player in the league, and he is far from quiet. The kind of guy that drags you into the fight. We need guys like him to challenge not only the other teams, but our core players to grow a set when the noose gets tighter. Brad said he wanted more snot, and he got exactly that with Reavo, Bert, and Domi. Those are highly competitive players that will help change the culture of our room. We need guys who hate to lose.

One thing I truly wish our boys had these last 7 seasons was push back. You look at game 2 against the bolts as a prime example of a championship culture. The Bolts got absolutely speed bagged from the opening puck drop to the final horn, yet they never backed down. They made sure we paid a price for embarrassing them. That's what all winning teams do. We just calmly take our lumps, and take it on the chin every time. This needs to change.

I don't like the term of the deal for Reavo, but I genuinely believe he has been brought in to establish a standard that has been missing for quite some time. I really don't think he is afraid to call guys out on it either.

Happy to have him in blue and white

I do wonder if his role will just being a 13 forward and that a large part of it will be dressing room and off ice leadership.

He’ll get a fair share of games in but not all. And Trev clearly outlined that. And that’s why it’s for 3 years. Basically assures Reaves of an NHL job for 3 more years if he takes a step back into a 13th forward role.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I do wonder if his role will just being a 13 forward and that a large part of it will be dressing room and off ice leadership.

He’ll get a fair share of games in but not all. And Trev clearly outlined that. And that’s why it’s for 3 years. Basically assures Reaves of an NHL job for 3 more years if he takes a step back into a 13th forward role.
Ya, i think that is fair to assume. I think in this regard it is very similar to the Simmonds tenure. I think there will come a time where Reavo will need to watch a game from the sky, but I do think they will give him a lot of runway in this first season. We will learn very quickly if his pressence in the room and on the bench helps or not. If it seems to be hurting more than helping, then I can see us giving him the same sort of treatment as we did Wayne this past season.

The one thing that has me a touch worried is that this will be Reavo's 4th team in the last 4 seasons. Every team of which was a playoff squad, and they felt it appropriate to either trade or let him walk in UFA. Of course when he was moved from VGK, and subsequently from NYR he was moved with a value in return. So it wasn't like he wasn't sought after, I just wonder why 3 winning teams felt ok moving on from him.

Nonetheless, I do think he is the type of player we need off the ice. We need someone to challenge guys in that room and make guys feel uncomfortable. I think he can do that. I think he can help shape an identity that has been missing for far too long.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Hey, I appreciate the thoughtful response instead of just needling me.

We shouldn't care if something that we did in the interest of winning is a "bad look on our franchise". How Vegas handled MAF was a bad look for them, do you think anyone cares about that now?

We shouldn't just say "oh well we're stuck with JT, can't do anything" unless we explore all options first. I don't believe this team can win with him taking up that space and then when he's finally gone, Matthews and Marner are 28. I think you can see that his raw point totals are not an accurate representation of his value as a player. He's a second liner making $11M, which is bad enough, but when he's the 4th best of four offensive-oriented forwards making a ton of coin, it's hard to build a strong, balanced lineup. But whatever, we've all been over this a million times. Everyone knows if that $11M was invested in two other players at other positions we'd be better right now. Point is, he's bad for this franchise right now. We can't win with him. And if we recognize that, then we should be doing everything possible to get him out of here.

Just to be clear, when I recounted all those offseasons I wasn't saying they were all awesome. Some were, some seemed awesome but actually weren't, some were meh, but in nearly all of them we were given a reason to feel optimistic or hopeful. As I pointed out in those examples, sometimes you had to squint hard or suspend your disbelief, but living in those moments there was reason to believe what they would work out.

The 2023 offseason didn't start well at all. The last few days go to show you that it's months long, not a week long, and the outlook can change quickly. 2023 now looks a lot more like any number of past offseasons as opposed to eclipsing 1996, 2007 and 2014. I said what I said in the moment and it was true and correct - in the moment. You're free to think that my comments look silly now. But there was lots to come, still. There is reason to believe that Domi and Bertuzzi are just the kind of pieces the Leafs need to make a run. But up to and including the Klingberg signing, this summer stunk to high heaven.
I agree win at all costs is the right answer, but when it comes to messing with big ticket players that can haunt a GM. There's about 6 to 7 teams that snap up free agents every year. List only changes slightly so once your no longer a destination we better hope we can draft and trade. Otherwise rest is pretty fine
Maybe I'm just agasint openly admitting it and not just quietly doing it. But yes if no repercussions follow always do it for the team. However making him uncomfortable enough to leave well the leafs did that in the 80s didn't work so well. Just need a balance
And a closed mouth and a shit happens additude with a srug and "didn't see that coming" wave goodbye
Lol.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I understand the thought process of trying to do a culture shift for the leafs but this is just brutal. In no world should he have gotten a multi year deal that isn't league min

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
The best case scenario for this signing would be if his impact on the team was similar to Matt Hendricks' impact on the Jets when they added him in 2017-18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad