Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
I remember people talking about Schenn planning a team dinner on the road, and hearing (I think it was maybe Keefe?) saying that they had never done that before and how good it was that the team was all together, instead of doing their own separate things.

I remember Thornton showing up in tic Toks with Matthews and Marner. Same with Marleau, but not with the rest of the team.

I remember ROR rumblings about not liking how things were handled, maybe he was talking about on the ice, but maybe he was talking about the lockerroom too.

And now Reaves talking about how the worst teams he’s ever been on have been cliquey and him talking about planning the parties and ‘making sure’ **everyone** is there.

That sounds to me like we got a bunch of captains who either didn’t like our room, or were part of the problem in other places they’ve been.

If Reaves can bring this team together, and the team goes all the way … IF he can …. And IF they do …. Give the man his god damn Conn Smyth
Reeves literally said he's heard it was a great locker room. He said IF there are cliques he'll make sure everyone is together

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Luke between the benches against Tampa in round #1 really showed how important it was that there was a physical presence on the bench. I was kind of nervous for the team seeing how intense Tampa, a team full of gritty muckers was getting, Luke did something for the morale of the team with his actions in that series. Reaves will bring that old school element. Without Schenn here they needed someone like that.

Reactions: weems and authentic

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Can this guy fight ?
I assume you're joking. In case this is a serious question, he is acclaimed as the current heavyweight champ.

I love physicality and it’s been missing on the Leafs for some time but if you think Reaves actually improves the team you’re fooling yourself.

Taking stupid penalties with limited ice time in important games sure is entertaining…
Another reality expert, telling me what I think.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I assume you're joking. In case this is a serious question, he is acclaimed as the current heavyweight champ.

Another reality expert, telling me what I think.
if you don’t think he improves the team why do you like the addition?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Most likely the worst contract since Jeff Finger.

Who's he going to fight? When he beats up some 4th line goon, is Auston Matthews NOT going to pick up sticks in the next scrum?

Such a ridiculous signing.Three f***ing years .

Domi must've been so scared that 13th forward Ryan Reaves was trying to take a dumb penalty against him.

I don't think he makes us better or worse, at the very least he adds some entertainment value.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
For $1.3 million on the cap, we get a guy who can punch faces, talk some trash, and generally be a pain in the ass. I'm fine with that.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I think this proves that nothing will happen... apparently, Domi threw a cheap shot in another game and that was the response.

You can't just jump people in the NHL...

He has more value as a heavy forechecker and a loud personality than anything else.

It's more likely Domi will jump someone for hitting star than Reaves just based on Domi jumping anyone when they touch Kane.

Reactions: smitty10

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
What Bennet did to Knives with no response is why we need a player like Reaves imho. He’ll probably take a lot of stupid penalties I agree but sometimes that’s what should happen.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

It did not go unnoticed that Keefe noted, shortly before eliminating the Lightning in Tampa Bay this past spring, that 2023’s Round 1 was the first series in which the whole team ate dinners together on the road.

Even when the head coach hesitated to give Wayne Simmonds ice time, he was always in favour of the energy and volume the charismatic fourth-liner injected into the bench. And Auston Matthews lit up every time Simmonds’ name was brought up.

One reason why it was important for Jake Muzzin to keep travelling and hanging around the group last winter, even after it became apparent that he would no longer lace ’em up, is because Muzzin initiated conversations. He chirped. He listened. He laughed.

And prior to his declining health, Muzzin would take the lead and arrange team outings, like a road trip to an NFL game or a golf excursion.

Leafs life was on track to grow a notch quieter with Muzzin inactive and O’Reilly and Schenn packing for Music City. And judging by the moves the new GM made after a month of grinding through internal meetings, Brad Treliving prioritized ratcheting up the racket.

Well, much like Public Enemy and Anthrax, surprise collaborators Ryan Reaves, Max Domi, and Tyler Bertuzzi are coming to bring the noise.

“I don't ever come into a locker room shy or quiet. I tend to come in and start chirping people right away. Just kind of get that over with,” says Reaves. “I don’t play a lot of minutes. I don't score a ton of goals. So, a lot of what I do as a physical player are making sure guys feel safe on the ice and chirping, getting guys space.”

While Reaves will been handsomely paid — through age 39 — for his nine minutes of exercise per game, Treliving has made it clear the pricy, punchy addition has as much to do with the personality as the athlete.

“Off the ice, for me, I take that very seriously. I like to plan the parties. I like getting the boys together. I like getting together on the road,” says Reaves, from his off-season home in Vegas, where he reached the 2018 final with the Golden Knights.

“If somebody tends to not come to events, I tend to just make sure everybody's there. Because it's really important. The best teams I've been on are the teams that everybody is together all the time off the ice. The worst teams I've been on is when you have little cliques that hang out together and you never really get the full group together."

“So, I'm not exactly sure what the locker room is. I heard it's quiet, but I don't know if it's cliquey or whatever. So, if it is, we can address it. If not, then — I've heard it's a great locker room. So, I think I'm just going to make sure that everybody's together all the time and draggin’ guys into whatever we need to do to feel like a complete team.”

We’re not sure if that’s a promise or a threat.

Regardless, it’s an element Treliving & Co. have identified as important.

Yank ’em to the party, then drag ’em into the fight.

Such commotion should be expected on the ice as well.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
We've signed every captain of every team available and everyone says it hasn't worked, if Reaves can do it I will be shocked.

I also don't think leadership is for sure an issue with the team. I find everyone can't fault the skill of the team so they just grasp at everything else and say "it must be that", when in reality, the cup is just REALLY hard to win.

If they paid attention for 30 seconds in the playoffs they’d find it very easy to blame the skill. Reaves screaming LETS GO doesn’t make Marner bobble less pucks and lose the blue line any less. We’ve seen maybe a handful of periods where everyone is relatively healthy and clicking at the same time.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If they paid attention for 30 seconds in the playoffs they’d find it very easy to blame the skill. Reaves screaming LETS GO doesn’t make Marner bobble less pucks and lose the blue line any less. We’ve seen maybe a handful of periods where everyone is relatively healthy and clicking at the same time.

I have to agree with this. Really shocked they aren't going to move on from Mitch and stitch up that D core some more.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
It´s real good to have players like Reaves, Domi and Bertuzzi that are a PITA to play against and that have little to no issues with droping the mits and going for it.
HOWEVER, untill our star players learn to have a similar level of grit and competitiveness, we are always trailing behind other teams that have such players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Initial thought is I like it but reserve the right to hate it later.

Still would have preferred them to find a way to get Tom Wilson.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
It´s real good to have players like Reaves, Domi and Bertuzzi that are a PITA to play against and that have little to no issues with droping the mits and going for it.
HOWEVER, untill our star players learn to have a similar level of grit and competitiveness, we are always trailing behind other teams that have such players.
Well this attitude is infectious.

You only need a few guys to lead the way and the team will follow.

Still wish we kept Schenn.

Would have had one of the meaner teams in the league with these guys.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

It did not go unnoticed that Keefe noted, shortly before eliminating the Lightning in Tampa Bay this past spring, that 2023’s Round 1 was the first series in which the whole team ate dinners together on the road.

Even when the head coach hesitated to give Wayne Simmonds ice time, he was always in favour of the energy and volume the charismatic fourth-liner injected into the bench. And Auston Matthews lit up every time Simmonds’ name was brought up.

One reason why it was important for Jake Muzzin to keep travelling and hanging around the group last winter, even after it became apparent that he would no longer lace ’em up, is because Muzzin initiated conversations. He chirped. He listened. He laughed.

And prior to his declining health, Muzzin would take the lead and arrange team outings, like a road trip to an NFL game or a golf excursion.

Leafs life was on track to grow a notch quieter with Muzzin inactive and O’Reilly and Schenn packing for Music City. And judging by the moves the new GM made after a month of grinding through internal meetings, Brad Treliving prioritized ratcheting up the racket.

Well, much like Public Enemy and Anthrax, surprise collaborators Ryan Reaves, Max Domi, and Tyler Bertuzzi are coming to bring the noise.

“I don't ever come into a locker room shy or quiet. I tend to come in and start chirping people right away. Just kind of get that over with,” says Reaves. “I don’t play a lot of minutes. I don't score a ton of goals. So, a lot of what I do as a physical player are making sure guys feel safe on the ice and chirping, getting guys space.”

While Reaves will been handsomely paid — through age 39 — for his nine minutes of exercise per game, Treliving has made it clear the pricy, punchy addition has as much to do with the personality as the athlete.

“Off the ice, for me, I take that very seriously. I like to plan the parties. I like getting the boys together. I like getting together on the road,” says Reaves, from his off-season home in Vegas, where he reached the 2018 final with the Golden Knights.

“If somebody tends to not come to events, I tend to just make sure everybody's there. Because it's really important. The best teams I've been on are the teams that everybody is together all the time off the ice. The worst teams I've been on is when you have little cliques that hang out together and you never really get the full group together."

“So, I'm not exactly sure what the locker room is. I heard it's quiet, but I don't know if it's cliquey or whatever. So, if it is, we can address it. If not, then — I've heard it's a great locker room. So, I think I'm just going to make sure that everybody's together all the time and draggin’ guys into whatever we need to do to feel like a complete team.”

We’re not sure if that’s a promise or a threat.

Regardless, it’s an element Treliving & Co. have identified as important.

Yank ’em to the party, then drag ’em into the fight.

Such commotion should be expected on the ice as well.
IF the TB series is the first that the group ate together, thats really really bad considering they were in a bubble for a whole season.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Luke between the benches against Tampa in round #1 really showed how important it was that there was a physical presence on the bench. I was kind of nervous for the team seeing how intense Tampa, a team full of gritty muckers was getting, Luke did something for the morale of the team with his actions in that series. Reaves will bring that old school element. Without Schenn here they needed someone like that.
Why not get it from a guy that can play hockey too, though?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If 1.3mil is the make or break for this team, then there is no hope anyway. I guess people just like to complain about stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad