Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
At the end of the day, it shouldn't be that hard to get out of this contract with not too much pain.

What's inescapable is that the team is being run by a dipshit whose first priority in free agency was to commit 3 years to a guy who can't even play hockey

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Serious question, what is Reave going to do? Fight Bennett who probably won't fight back? So just get a 2 and a 10 or maybe more?

Reaves does not make us better in any way.
I’m by no means a hockey dinosaur who worships Don Cherry, but having a guy like Reaves makes the other team think twice about abusing your teams star players, it’s been that way forever, I know it’s a new NHL, but teams with size and grit were just in the Stanley cup
Finals. Reaves is arguably the toughest guy in the NHL, no way Sam Bennett is running around being an idiot if he thinks he might have to answer the bell, it’s more so about his presence. Again I can take or leave fighting in the NHL I don’t really care, but there’s still old school
Nuances to the game that work in the playoffs

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
First signing of the Treilving era. Starting with a BANG! Buckle up kids!

LoooooooooooooL

It's so bad it is kinda funny.

Reactions: definedMF

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I mean he's no Wayne Simmonds or Kyle Clifford who the past GM seemed to think were good ideas. He's actually better at certain things than either of them. Now that it isn't the former GM doing this, suddenly a similar signing is a freaking catastrophe.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
That's the problem, evidently a contract for a player over 35 cannot be buried.
It might be able to be. It depends on the contract.
If there are no signing bonuses and the not at all front loaded it can be. If there are any signing bonuses or if the salary isn’t even all 3 years then you only get 100k in cap relief if they are sent down.
You also don’t get any cap relief if you buyout one of these contracts

Reactions: Kurtz

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’m by no means a hockey dinosaur who worships Don Cherry, but having a guy like Reaves makes the other team think twice about abusing your teams star players, it’s been that way forever, I know it’s a new NHL, but teams with size and grit were just in the Stanley cup
Finals. Reaves is arguably the toughest guy in the NHL, no way Sam Bennett is running around being an idiot if he thinks he might have to answer the bell, it’s more so about his presence. Again I can take or leave fighting in the NHL I don’t really care, but there’s still old school

The year before, who did Colorado have like this?

Colorado is the last team to win without sitting 10 million out until game 1 of the playoff so they could load up.

I don't think Sam Bennett cares if Reaves is on our team honestly, he doesn't have to fight him and I don't think Reave is fast enough to lay too many big hits anymore

I just don't think he was needed. Sign someone like Aciarri or Hatheway who can actually play... they may not fight much but they are productive and hit people, which is actually intimidating.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I mean he's no Wayne Simmonds or Kyle Clifford who the past GM seemed to think were good ideas. He's actually better at certain things than either of them. Now that it isn't the former GM doing this, suddenly a similar signing is a freaking catastrophe.
Simmonds and Clifford were paid less and fully buriable

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
2/6 depth forwards in Kampf and now Reeves don't scream depth goal scoring.. Brad better hope the rest of forwards in the bottom 6 and whoever plays in the top 6 this year can put in work.
How is getting a gm from the worst dumpster fire in the league not gonna be anything less than this? I mean we're literally talking about Bennett and Tkachuk two guys that went to Florida because of Treliving.

This gm just sounds like a guy who's high on his own power. Thinks he can will his way past the players.

Tavares was Dubas's great grand mistake and it doesn't sound like the kind of signing a numbers nerd would make.

This whole situation is a testament that the owners are setting this team up for failure.

With "we're rich, just spend money because we got money" attitude.

Again how bad do things in Calgary need to get before this becomes obvious.

The flames were goons in the north division, you don't think having a team of goons won't lead to a bad social environment players will want out of?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We went from one clown show of a GM to another clown show of a GM.
Dubas ruined our rebuild by the way he structure the core 4 and Treliving is going 180 with face punchers to balance out the cowardly core…….good time ahead

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
That assumes that the team loses due to a lack of physicality and not a lack of depth scoring.

Loading up with meatheads that can't score, isn't gonna lead you anywhere. Teivling is doing exactly the thing that caused the flames to lose of its talent all of a sudden.

The Sam Bennet/Tkachuk conversation is hilarious, because Triliving is the reason they ended up in Florida.

Reactions: cyris

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The previous GM left the organization with $10M in dead weight (Muzzin and Murray, both his homeboys), one of whom may insist on trying to play, and we're kvetching over spending too much on 4th line muscle.

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
We went from one clown show of a GM to another clown show of a GM.
Dubas ruined our rebuild by the way he structure the core 4 and Treliving is going 180 with face punchers to balance out the cowardly core…….good time ahead
You're assuming it wasn't MLSE who decided to sign Tavares.

There's zero coherence to the idea that Dubas would have signed a free agent when the numbers weren't right.

Virtually everything he did(sans the matthews/marner fall out of that decision) has been the opposite, where he's made desperate decisions to make a lack of money work.

This to me is proof mlse pushes bad ideas from the top down.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The previous GM left the organization with $10M in dead weight (Muzzin and Murray, both his homeboys), one of whom may insist on trying to play, and we're kvetching over spending too much on 4th line muscle.

Grouping in Muzzin shows how weak that argument is.

Murray was always a game, it didn't work out.

Muzzin is LTIR'd.

Reaves we know will not be great and should not be in the lineup.

Reactions: horner and SprDaVE

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
At the end of the day, it shouldn't be that hard to get out of this contract with not too much pain.

What's inescapable is that the team is being run by a dipshit whose first priority in free agency was to commit 3 years to a guy who can't even play hockey
By not hard you mean paying 1.3 for 2.5 years for a guy to play on the marlies?

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
I can't believe less than 2 weeks into Treliving 'era' some folks (myself included, no doubt) will be eating crow on Dubas' abilities. I mean signing Reaves *at all* seems like a bad move, but to give him the rumored 3yr deal is just... madness. Just as they were able to ditch Simmonds, here comes Reaves with his unmovable contract... what a sh*tshow...

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
That assumes that the team loses due to a lack of physicality and not a lack of depth scoring.

Loading up with meatheads that can't score, isn't gonna lead you anywhere. Teivling is doing exactly the thing that caused the flames to lose of its talent all of a sudden.

The Sam Bennet/Tkachuk conversation is hilarious, because Triliving is the reason they ended up in Florida.
I would say it was more of a Sutter factor than the GM

horner

May 22, 2007
Will be disappointed if we don't sign Schenn beca
By not hard you mean paying 1.3 for 2.5 years for a guy to play on the marlies?
But we don't have money for Schenn Accuri or ROR

Thanks Treliving

Kampf money could have went to these players

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Grouping in Muzzin shows how weak that argument is.

Murray was always a game, it didn't work out.

Muzzin is LTIR'd.

Reaves we know will not be great and should not be in the lineup.
Weak effort at dismissing away that bonehead deal as "a game" whatever the hell that means. You labelling the deal that doesn't make it a good idea or a good gamble. Murray was a massive own goal that everyone saw wouldn't work out. There are more defenders of this potential Reaves' signing than that Murray trade.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Watch him get a NMC, and then the contract won’t even be able to be buried. Lol.

Will be disappointed if we don't sign Schenn beca

But we don't have money for Schenn Accuri or ROR

Thanks Treliving

Kampf money could have went to these players

I have no issue with paying a guy who was the 6th highest TOI of forwards for us, over players with lesser roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad