Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I hate his contract but I’d love to know if Josh Anderson would play against other teams like he does against us if he was a Leafs lol

The point is there are definitely guys around the league who are tough and actually good players. Like Luke Schenn.
But Reeves isn’t one of them

Josh Anderson for Nylander could work.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Detractors' Corner

Question 1: who is in the Leafs' organization right now (signed through 23-24) that is like Reaves (toughness/protection4stars)?

Question 2: do you recall Matthews' tilt with Stamkos vs TBL in the first round?

Question 3: tell me please why we don't need Reaves?

Because Reaves will be either be on the bench, or more likely in the press box when Question 1 or 2 happens. If you aren’t on the ice, you can’t protect anyone, and this is a guy who is bad at hockey.

Does anyone legitimately believe that Matthews and Reaves will be on the ice at the same time? Seriously?

We need useful grit/physicality. People who are on the ice when it matters.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Bertuzzi was a great acquisation for Bruins. He lived up to the trade and did everything he could for them to win
For all his bad rep for not getting vaccinated, being apparently a hard case, he kept his head down and delivered

Wouldn't mind him, but in a weak FA he's going to get a lot of eyes on him

Bertuzzi's previous cap hit was 4.75 AAV, I think he can be had for 5 to 5.5 AAV. And with the likes of Duchene, Domi, Sprong, Compher, Dunn, ROR, Orlov, etc... available in the UFA market I'd trade Nylander+Brodie (Murray?) and change the team structure with different cap allocation.

Treliving has gotta do it man. We can't do the same trash that dubas had done with the same players. It just ain't gonna work.

If we can have it I'd like something like this:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-ROR-Wilson
Duchene/Compher/Domi-Tavares-Jankrok (Tavares doesn't play as many minutes); Janrkrok can be traded to get some cap flex too
XXX-Kampf-Lafferty
XXX
(see if Robertson, Holmberg, McMann, etc... can take a step this season to fill out bottom 6)

Defense
Rielly-Schenn
Dunn/Orlov-Liljegren (Brodie is traded)
McCabe-Timmins/UFA (Mayfield/Dumba/Bear/etc...)
Gio/XXX

Goalies
Samsonov
Woll

We can potentially have (Nylander 7 + Brodie 5 + Murray 4.7) approx 17M in cap space - add in Muzzin about 21M in cap space to get:

Forwards
Bertuzzi (5.5 AAV)
ROR (4 AAV) sell term
Wilson (retained 50% at 2.5 AAV) Nylander is traded to get Wilson at 50% + picks
Domi or Duchene or Compher to play LW on 3rd line (4 to 5 AAV)
Forwards: 16 to 17 AAV

Defense
Dunn or Orlov (5.5 to 6 AAV) -> to Dunn sell long term
Mayfield/Dumba/Bear) 2 to 3 AAV
Total: about 7 to 8 AAV

Forwards + Defense about 23 AAV to 24 AAV

Then to re-work Samsonov if we have to we can trade Jankrok and let one of the marlies take the spot.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
How’d it go with Martin, Clifford, Simmonds, or Schenn?

One guy doesn’t do shit. You need toughness that can actually play, throughout the lineup.

You know why a guy like Bennett is hard to play against? Because he’s running against your top six all night and he’s putting the puck in the net.
Great

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Bertuzzi's previous cap hit was 4.75 AAV, I think he can be had for 5 to 5.5 AAV. And with the likes of Duchene, Domi, Sprong, Compher, Dunn, ROR, Orlov, etc... available in the UFA market I'd trade Nylander+Brodie (Murray?) and change the team structure with different cap allocation.

Treliving has gotta do it man. We can't do the same trash that dubas had done with the same players. It just ain't gonna work.

If we can have it I'd like something like this:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-ROR-Wilson
Duchene/Compher/Domi-Tavares-Jankrok (Tavares doesn't play as many minutes); Janrkrok can be traded to get some cap flex too
XXX-Kampf-Lafferty
XXX
(see if Robertson, Holmberg, McMann, etc... can take a step this season to fill out bottom 6)

Defense
Rielly-Schenn
Dunn/Orlov-Liljegren (Brodie is traded)
McCabe-Timmins/UFA (Mayfield/Dumba/Bear/etc...)
Gio/XXX

Goalies
Samsonov
Woll

We can potentially have (Nylander 7 + Brodie 5 + Murray 4.7) approx 17M in cap space - add in Muzzin about 21M in cap space to get:

Forwards
Bertuzzi (5.5 AAV)
Wilson (retained 50% at 2.5 AAV) Nylander is traded to get Wilson at 50% + picks
Domi or Duchene or Compher to play LW on 3rd line (4 to 5 AAV)
Forwards: 12 to 13 AAV

Defense
Dunn or Orlov (5.5 to 6 AAV) -> to Dunn sell long term
Mayfield/Dumba/Bear) 2 to 3 AAV
Total: about 7 to 8 AAV

Forwards + Defense about 19 AAV to 21 AAV

Then to re-work Samsonov if we have to we can trade Jankrok and let one of the marlies take the spot.
Bertuzzi is probably getting $6/yr and isn’t exactly a picture of health. Not sure that’s the best direction to go

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Here's how it will actually work...

Option 1: Bennet runs over a Leaf. Reaves fights some 4th line goon. Florida continues to do whatever they want for the rest of the game and season.
Option 2: Bennet runs over a Leaf. Keefe moves Reaves up to play against Bennet. Florida scores because Reaves sucks, and couldn't even handle 4th line minutes in his prime, let alone more than that in his late 30s. Reaves forces a fight with Bennet. Leafs get a penalty. Florida scores again. Leafs get a suspension, and Florida continues to do whatever they want for the rest of the game and season.
Soft/finesse zone entries could be the better solution. Oh wait!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Bertuzzi is probably getting $6/yr and isn’t exactly a picture of health. Not sure that’s the best direction to go

In terms of health one can argue the same for Matthews ;)

if we can sell term to Bertuzzi, signing bonusses, plus chance to play with Matthews and potential for cup I think we can convince him to take a bit less.

of course it depends on what the players' ask is; if Bertuzzi wants 7 AAV+ we just walk away from that let some other team do that.

All I am saying is we have to change the outlook of this team. one of marner/nylander should be gone and that cap be allocated to round out roster with multiple players in that alloted cap space together put up same number of points, have some sandpaper, and play hard nose hockey.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Nobody should even be able to look at any of our top guys now without getting their faces smashed in

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Because Reaves will be either be on the bench, or more likely in the press box when Question 1 or 2 happens. If you aren’t on the ice, you can’t protect anyone, and this is a guy who is bad at hockey.

Does anyone legitimately believe that Matthews and Reaves will be on the ice at the same time? Seriously?
I don't think you understand the dynamics. of what actually goes on during the game on the ice. A thug is going to make you pay some way on the ice at some time. Players like Matthews and Marnor don't like to play with fear that they might be a target for a revenge hit

I have played against Maniacs. It's not fun. Let me tell you.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think you understand the dynamics. of what actually goes on during the game on the ice. A thug is going to make you pay some way on the ice at some time. Players like Matthews and Marnor don't like to play with fear that they might be a target for a revenge hit

I have played against Maniacs. It's not fun. Let me tell you.

Please. Like having a thug on the bench has ever prevented things from happening in the NHL. It’s pointless, and it also makes the team you ice worse.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
2/6 depth forwards in Kampf and now Reeves don't scream depth goal scoring.. Brad better hope the rest of forwards in the bottom 6 and whoever plays in the top 6 this year can put in work.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Please. Like having a thug on the bench has ever prevented things from happening in the NHL. It’s pointless, and it also makes the team you ice worse.
No, it doesn't prevent everything. but it does prevent somethings otherwise. they wouldn't be there.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Nobody should even be able to look at any of our top guys now without getting their faces smashed in

Reaves will look at them furiously from the bench

Seriously, explain to me how a 4th liner does anything to help Matthews and Marner when they're on the ice. Or how this is any different than Clifford, Simmonds, whatever. We've always had a fighter that is bad at the game.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Is everyone still happy with Treliving?

I predict he will not be a fan favorite.

By all accounts, he was very well liked by all his former teams. He will definitely add an intimidation factor on the ice.

My concern is if he will be able to keep up with the pace at his age.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

We need useful grit/physicality. People who are on the ice when it matters.

Functional grit is expensive. With limited cap space Toronto will have to settle for lesser skilled players, unless they want to eschew grit again.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
I'd be fine with this if he was used properly... but he won't be. It also seems like every time we get a player with some "truculence" they're neutered and I have a feeling that's a Coach Keefe decision. I don't see this playing out well for us.

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
Actual fighting skill is at the bottom of the list when it comes to toughness in the modern NHL. Signing a washed up plug that can't skate doesn't make the team tougher to play against. Reaves will be healthy scratched by game 40.

The best pests are guys who can play hockey like Tkachuk, Wilson, Bertuzzi etc. Nobody is scared of the designated fighters anymore.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I am ok with this if the AAV is close to 1 million.
It’s not, it’s 1.35. It is not ok.
He will be on our cap when he retires after next season.

I see no difference between Simmonds and Reaves besides age and more money. Treliving specialty, bringing his Calgary UFA strategy of brutal contracts with large term to bottom six forwards.

Started with Kampf, continues with Reaves.

How else is he gonna blow this team’s brains out today?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad