Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Max Domi (1 year, $3M)

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I guess Dallas would rather have Duchene for $3M over Domi.

If I was a contending team up against the cap I would too.

Only 28 years old, Domi's already on his seventh team. His sixth in three years. Does that scream "this guy's a keeper" to you?

It doesn't to me either.

That's what my mother-in-law said to my ex-wife ten years ago when we told her about the engagement. Just to make it clear, I'm talking about my first wife. Things are going great between me and my third wife.

Now do you see where I'm coming from?

If Domi was all that, you would think one of those teams would've made an effort to keep him. Maybe they know something we don't. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things.

Just because he didn't have an impact on contending teams that want to win like Arizona, Montreal, Columbus, and Chicago, doesn't mean he won't be a star here.

There's no pressure to win here.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Only 28 years old, Domi's already on his seventh team. His sixth in three years. Does that scream "this guy's a keeper" to you?

It doesn't to me either.

That's what my mother-in-law said to my ex-wife ten years ago when we told her about the engagement. Just to make it clear, I'm talking about my first wife. Things are going great between me and my third wife.

If Domi was all that, you would think one of those teams would've made an effort to keep him. Maybe they know something we don't. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things.

Just because he didn't have an impact on contending teams that want to win like Arizona, Montreal, Columbus, and Chicago, doesn't mean he won't be a star here.

They know he's not good defensively. Not exactly top secret news.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Good shot. Good speed. Gets open. Not afraid to take it to the net or actually shoot the puck. On a team that notoriously overpasses the puck, that’s a welcomed quality.

Definitely intrigued to see how much offense Klingberg, Knies, Domi & Bertuzzi can supply to this team
We may be able to outscore our problems again :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, he’s also a very good passer. I expect whatever line he’s on to improve their goal scoring, if that’s even possible on the top 2 lines.

His givaway : takeaway ratio has been on the positive side of the ledger since his Montreal days. He is a plus possession player in both % and relative corsi. Gets in players faces, and probably has untapped goal scoring potential due to lack of creative “prime of their career” teammates.

Looking forward to this new forward group too. younger, pissy with something to prove.

I temper my expectations only with the high percentage chance we can’t sign Nylander and he gets traded. If that shores up the defense then so be it.

Just means Robertson gets more of a shot.

Reactions: Taylor Halls Teeth

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We may be able to outscore our problems again :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, he’s also a very good passer. I expect whatever line he’s on to improve their goal scoring, if that’s even possible on the top 2 lines.

His givaway : takeaway ratio has been on the positive side of the ledger since his Montreal days. He is a plus possession player in both % and relative corsi. Gets in players faces, and probably has untapped goal scoring potential due to lack of creative “prime of their career” teammates.

Looking forward to this new forward group too. younger, pissy with something to prove.

I temper my expectations only with the high percentage chance we can’t sign Nylander and he gets traded. If that shores up the defense then so be it.

Just means Robertson gets more of a shot.

Domi’s greatest attribute is his playmaking ability. He’s not a big guy — listed at 5’10, 194 lbs. — but he can pass the puck, especially to the slot, with ruthless efficiency. It’s his primary talent and he derives a lot of value from it.
The issues for Domi over the years, beyond those of fit (more on that later), have often been defensive play and discipline. Domi takes quite a few penalties, not all that many of which are fighting majors despite his last name. It’s something he needs to work to keep in check.

Kind of sounds like a Bunting replacement, but perhaps with a playmakers ability.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
IMG_2417.jpeg

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m pretty excited to have Max here, not only because he’s a Domi but because you can always use different types of personalities in the lineup. Maybe he can be a mix of Bunting and Kadri which can definitely be useful.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I’m pretty excited to have Max here, not only because he’s a Domi but because you can always use different types of personalities in the lineup. Maybe he can be a mix of Bunting and Kadri which can definitely be useful.

oh boy now we're down to praising his personality

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I was hoping we wouldn't sign Domi, but here we are... so I hope he has one of his best seasons, as a Leaf. He seems to have had more success as a C, than as a winger over time, so the question becomes, where does he slot in here?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He is replacing Kerfoot in the lineup as Bert is replacing Bunting, that’s already a win in my book.

I like that he is an alpha type of player who takes charge of the team like will get something going when the team struggles or looking for a spark.

I would try him with Willie and Calle on a line and see how it goes.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He is replacing Kerfoot in the lineup as Bert is replacing Bunting, that’s already a win in my book.

I like that he is an alpha type of player who takes charge of the team like will get something going when the team struggles or looking for a spark.

I would try him with Willie and Calle on a line and see how it goes.
Never really thought about that potential line, could work really well though and give us 3 legitimate lines opposing teams have to worry about.

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Domi - Nylander

Probably the deepest 1-3 lines we’ve had since the early 2000’s.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Never really thought about that potential line, could work really well though and give us 3 legitimate lines opposing teams have to worry about.

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Domi - Nylander

Probably the deepest 1-3 lines we’ve had since the early 2000’s.

The deepest 1-3 lines since we've had since the early 2000's? You're expecting a lot out of Knies and Robertson.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Van Riesmdyk - Bozak - Marner
2017-2018

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
- Brown

2018-2019

I probably don't have the lines correct but those are probably deeper. Butif you get a lot out of Robertson and Knies, then you're right.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

It doesn't to me either.

How do you know Dallas didn't try to keep him?

Maybe he wanted to test free agency

How do you know Chicago didn't offer him a contract before they traded him? Maybe he didn't want to stay on a rebuilding team, maybe they didn't offer enough.

All we know is that he's here on a fantastic contract

Reactions: banks and Buds17

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'll be honest, I was never the biggest fan of Tie Domi. His type of hockey isn't what drew me to the sport.

But I think it's really cool to have someone on the team now who literally grew up being part of the Leafs like Max did. I think we're going to see something special from him this season, and I would bet that he'll play more years here after this 1year contract is up.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
His cap could seriously be used for a better D. Think our LD depth is down bad right now and we still have not managed to give Rielly a good D partner.

Keeping Schenn would have been better than Domi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad