Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Max Domi (1 year, $3M)

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
you need to get over the contract, it was a UFA signing. Biggest UFA in history. First former 1st overall in the salary cap era to make it to UFA. he was obviously going to break the bank.

Tavares contract never was the issue. He was a UFA and took less to come here. Whether it was Lou, Hunter, Futa whoever else you wanted, Tavares was going to become a Maple Leaf and make 11 mill.

Our cap has always been f***ed because we over paid RFA's, point blank period. Kapanen and Johnsson - Paid too much

Matthews, Marner and Nylander all paid too much out of ELC's.

Covid destroyed plans with JT too. When signed we all knew it was going to get ugly in the final 2 or 3 years, but we expected the cap to be around 90m. 11m on a 90m cap is much easier to take.

The NHL really should have given teams a compliance buyout like they did after the lockouts.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Domi only brings offense and is a liability defensively... does that have any relevance?

This is in response to someone claiming he is a playoff performer.

I showed what a playoff no-show looks like (Marner), and what the person thinks a playoff performer looks like (Domi), that's all.
Domi's production in terms of PPG played in the playoffs was about the same as it was in the regular season, despite his ATOI going down by almost 3 minutes per game. Based on that, calling him a playoff performer seems reasonable.

Marner's production in terms of points PPG played in the playoffs was considerably less than it was during the regular season, despite his ATOI going up by almost 3 minutes a game so yeah, not a good comparison.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Domi's production in terms of PPG played in the playoffs was about the same as it was in the regular season, despite his ATOI going down by almost 3 minutes per game. Based on that, calling him a playoff performer seems reasonable.

Marner's production in terms of points PPG played in the playoffs was considerably less than it was during the regular season, despite his ATOI going up by almost 3 minutes a game so yeah, not a good comparison.

You're grasping.

He is a 40pt player in the playoffs over his career.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You don't like the facts, OK. That doesn't mean I'm "grasping" though, it just means that you don't like the facts.

Explain to me why he is a 40pt player in the playoffs but he is a playoff performer... it doesn't make sense to me.

His ice time drops? Okay, why? You'd think if he was so effective they'd play him more.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Explain to me why he is a 40pt player in the playoffs but he is a playoff performer... it doesn't make sense to me.

His ice time drops? Okay, why? You'd think if he was so effective they'd play him more.
I guess it depends on you definition of playoff performer. For me, that's someone who's level of play at minimum doesn't drop off when the playoffs start (like Marner), and ideally one who's level of play even rises during the playoffs. So with that in mind, "40 point player in the playoffs" is to me completely irrelevant - you need to compare to the regular season.

What about you - how do you define "playoff performer"? I think maybe you and I have different definitions for this term and that's why we disagree here?

Re. ice time - you'd have to ask his coach. Coaches do dumb shit sometimes though, Keefe taking Nylander off PP1 was completely insane IMO yet he did it. But the facts remain, Marner's production dropped off in the playoffs, Domi's did not and when you factor in ice time, Domi's production went up a fair bit.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I guess it depends on you definition of playoff performer. For me, that's someone who's level of play at minimum doesn't drop off when the playoffs start (like Marner), and ideally one who's level of play even rises during the playoffs. So with that in mind, "40 point player in the playoffs" is to me completely irrelevant - you need to compare to the regular season.

What about you - how do you define "playoff performer"? I think maybe you and I have different definitions for this term and that's why we disagree here?

Re. ice time - you'd have to ask his coach. Coaches do dumb shit sometimes though, Keefe taking Nylander off PP1 was completely insane IMO yet he did it. But the facts remain, Marner's production dropped off in the playoffs, Domi's did not and when you factor in ice time, Domi's production went up a fair bit.

His playoff ppg drops a fair amount.

Domi
42 point pace in playoffs
52 point pace in regular season

Marner
77 point pace in playoffs
90 point pace in regular season

Not that big of a difference in point drop.

Isolate to only this year I guess since that appears to be the only thing you're talking about... how much did Marner's drop off?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
His playoff ppg drops a fair amount.

Domi
42 point pace in playoffs
52 point pace in regular season

Marner
77 point pace in playoffs
90 point pace in regular season

Not that big of a difference in point drop.
I don't know where you're getting this from but I was just looking at last season. Not saying what happened before is irrelevant, the most recent season does carry the most weight though so that's what I did. And as I said before, Domi's rate of production went up a fair bit when you look at ATOI while Marner's went down (as usual).

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't know where you're getting this from but I was just looking at last season. Not saying what happened before is irrelevant, the most recent season does carry the most weight though so that's what I did. And as I said before, Domi's rate of production went up a fair bit when you look at ATOI while Marner's went down (as usual).

Marner's points didn't drop off last season... that's the point. You're isolating to one year and it helps Marner's case.

Use points/60 I guess, McDavid is 19th in the league. He is behind Marner and Matthews. Skinner is #2. MacKinnon is leading the way.

In the playoffs, Rielly was a better point producer than Draisaitl using p/60.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's a really good offensive player who can bring more than Kerfoot did, which is exactly what the Leafs needed. Yeah his defense was pretty shit with Chicago, but perfectly fine once he got to Dallas and in Carolina and under Claude Julien. So much of defensive results that these online analytics guys tout are just playing for a structured team

weems

Jul 3, 2008
He's a really good offensive player who can bring more than Kerfoot did, which is exactly what the Leafs needed. Yeah his defense was pretty shit with Chicago, but perfectly fine once he got to Dallas and in Carolina and under Claude Julien. So much of defensive results that these online analytics guys tout are just playing for a structured team

How would Klingberg's advanced stats look on a team like Carolina?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How would Klingberg's advanced stats look on a team like Carolina?
Probably perfectly fine as well, if not good. When you have a player who's on a bad team and tasked with creating offense, their defensive impact is going to suffer. But on the Leafs, they'll be more sheltered by good defensive players and won't have to worry about creating offense for the whole team. Domi especially should be just fine, defense is largely about effort and intelligence and he has both

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Probably perfectly fine as well, if not good. When you have a player who's on a bad team and tasked with creating offense, their defensive impact is going to suffer. But on the Leafs, they'll be more sheltered by good defensive players and won't have to worry about creating offense for the whole team. Domi especially should be just fine, defense is largely about effort and intelligence and he has both
The bad: They brought in 4 players with rather poor defensive impacts so far at the expense of better ones.
The good: They brought in more offense, and more "rat".

Keefe's system better be iron-clad on D and on PK.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The bad: They brought in 4 players with rather poor defensive impacts so far at the expense of better ones.
The good: They brought in more offense, and more "rat".

Keefe's system better be iron-clad on D and on PK.
The leafs main issue seems to be a lack of goalscoring in the playoffs, so I understand the thought process of adding a bunch of depth scoring/point producing options.

Not sold on Domi personally yet but Bertuzzi looks like a real good zero risk get.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The leafs main issue seems to be a lack of goalscoring in the playoffs, so I understand the thought process of adding a bunch of depth scoring/point producing options.
Not sold on Domi personally yet but Bertuzzi looks like a real good zero risk get.
I get your point and I agree, and I think he'll be a good get, but I don't know if "Bertuzzi" and "zero risk" can ever be used in the same sentence. :laugh:

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Has there been any talk about why he's burned through some many teams in his career?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner's points didn't drop off last season... that's the point. You're isolating to one year and it helps Marner's case.

Use points/60 I guess, McDavid is 19th in the league. He is behind Marner and Matthews. Skinner is #2. MacKinnon is leading the way.

In the playoffs, Rielly was a better point producer than Draisaitl using p/60.
Yeah fair enough, I'd forgotten that his raw point totals in these playoffs were decent. Still, by now we know what Marner is and even in these playoffs, the first two games were great and then he reverted back his usual playoff mediocrity.

After taking a deeper look, I guess I'll say that it's too early to call Domi a playoff performer. This year was good but the previous two weren't so I guess it makes the most sense to me to say that it's too early to tell what he is.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I get your point and I agree, and I think he'll be a good get, but I don't know if "Bertuzzi" and "zero risk" can ever be used in the same sentence. :laugh:
Lol very true, he is rather injury prone but the leafs will already be using their LTIR a ton this year with Muzzin and possibly Murray so if Bertuzzi gets injured it wouldn't effect their ability to accrue cap space during the season.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yeah fair enough, I'd forgotten that his raw point totals in these playoffs were decent. Still, by now we know what Marner is and even in these playoffs, the first two games were great and then he reverted back his usual playoff mediocrity.

After taking a deeper look, I guess I'll say that it's too early to call Domi a playoff performer. This year was good but the previous two weren't so I guess it makes the most sense to me to say that it's too early to tell what he is.

I'm not even saying Domi is bad in the playoffs... but it is the same as people saying Tkachuk is great in the playoffs and Marner is bad... Tkachuk was terrible basically every other year.

I like the addition of Domi because he is a skilled player, I don't think the playoff career of a player is an indication of how a player will do the following year in the playoffs.

Reactions: nuck

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Sam Bennett KTFO’d Knies for the series with a dirty cheap shot - - not only was he not suspended, he didn’t even get a penalty.

Have people not yet realized that a roster full of soft timid choir boys is never going to win in the playoffs?
Did you even read either of my posts. It clearly states I am all for physical play and protecting the players.
With Reaves on the team guys like Bennett are going to think twice about idiot moves like that. Infact it probably wouldn't have happened. If Domi or Bertuzzi are the ice and someone takes a run(again should happen less often) at a player be prepared. They won't take Sh.....

But to be the aggressor and just out of the blue do what Bennett did to Knies, is not recommended, especially the way Parros loves dingng the Leafs will only hurt Leafs chances especially in the playoffs.

I actually expect Reaves etc to pay a visit to Bennett (& Gudas) when they play this season.

Remind them....

Reactions: ACC1224

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
There were rumours about him being a locker room cancer, especially in Montreal.
But not in Columbus or Chicago. I would point out that Montreal tried to make him into a winger which he was apparently not happy with. The two best seasons of his career were last year and his first in Montreal and he was used in both as a center.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
But not in Columbus or Chicago. I would point out that Montreal tried to make him into a winger which he was apparently not happy with. The two best seasons of his career were last year and his first in Montreal and he was used in both as a center.

If I were him I'd want to be a 2nd line winger with Tavares and Nylander instead of a 3rd line center with Knies and Jangrok. He'd be an idiot to choose center if those are the options.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Covid destroyed plans with JT too. When signed we all knew it was going to get ugly in the final 2 or 3 years, but we expected the cap to be around 90m. 11m on a 90m cap is much easier to take.

The NHL really should have given teams a compliance buyout like they did after the lockouts.
They were never going to buy him out even if there was a compliance buyout

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad