Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Max Domi (1 year, $3M)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yeah fair enough, I'd forgotten that his raw point totals in these playoffs were decent. Still, by now we know what Marner is and even in these playoffs, the first two games were great and then he reverted back his usual playoff mediocrity.

After taking a deeper look, I guess I'll say that it's too early to call Domi a playoff performer. This year was good but the previous two weren't so I guess it makes the most sense to me to say that it's too early to tell what he is.
Keefe reverted back to his usual playoff mediocrity. They get solved every playoff by whoever they face. They shouldn't need a Claude Lemieux to carry their stars along. Whats more likely, that four high end talents who all coincidentally underperform whenever they get to the post season find their way onto one team to plague it, or that maybe the coach gets dunked on by the more experienced coaches he faces?

Players follow the Xs and Os, they don't freestyle and they don't stop trying after the regular season is over. The other teams are just better prepared more nights than the Leafs have been. Unless it was Dubas ordering Keefe to play certain players a certain way, its got to be on the coach. If you aren't getting the best out of your best players, then its time for someone new. They didn't lose to Florida they got railed.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Keefe reverted back to his usual playoff mediocrity. They get solved every playoff by whoever they face. They shouldn't need a Claude Lemieux to carry their stars along. Whats more likely, that four high end talents who all coincidentally underperform whenever they get to the post season find their way onto one team to plague it, or that maybe the coach gets dunked on by the more experienced coaches he faces?

Players follow the Xs and Os, they don't freestyle and they don't stop trying after the regular season is over. The other teams are just better prepared more nights than the Leafs have been. Unless it was Dubas ordering Keefe to play certain players a certain way, its got to be on the coach. If you aren't getting the best out of your best players, then its time for someone new. They didn't lose to Florida they got railed.
Players shouldn't need their coach to do anything special for them to show up. All those game 7's where we didn't show up to play, you blame the coach if you like, IMO the players deserve most of the blame.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
They were never going to buy him out even if there was a compliance buyout

I never said they would use it on JT. Just in general, they should give teams one in exchange for the 4 years of a flat hard cap is destroyed the game. NBA and NFL at least give teams flexibility, the Hard Cap is the worst invention in Pro Sports history.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I never said they would use it on JT. Just in general, they should give teams one in exchange for the 4 years of a flat hard cap is destroyed the game. NBA and NFL at least give teams flexibility, the Hard Cap is the worst invention in Pro Sports history.
Some flexibily would indeed be nice!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
you need to get over the contract, it was a UFA signing. Biggest UFA in history. First former 1st overall in the salary cap era to make it to UFA. he was obviously going to break the bank.

Tavares contract never was the issue. He was a UFA and took less to come here. Whether it was Lou, Hunter, Futa whoever else you wanted, Tavares was going to become a Maple Leaf and make 11 mill.

Our cap has always been f***ed because we over paid RFA's, point blank period. Kapanen and Johnsson - Paid too much

Matthews, Marner and Nylander all paid too much out of ELC's.
The contract was brutal in several ways - we didn't need a 2C anywhere near as much as we needed defence or goaltending; nobody needs a 2C at $11M; term and full NMC were excessive, and not just in retrospect.

But the contract wasn't the worst part - overpaying an established player wasn't as bad as overpaying two young players who hadn't warranted it yet.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If Domi really wanted to retire a leaf, he'd take less for term. I bet he's perfectly happy for a 1 year rebound season. Don't need much talent to put up 60-70 points playing on either of the Leafs top 2 lines. Then find a team willing to overpay for like 6x7
That could be true. All I was suggesting was that maybe he wasn't offered more than one year.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Fair enough

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like the signing - good AAV, he'll be motivated (1 year term, playing for his hometown team), he's got plenty of skill, and he'll be a rare Leaf who does like to get in the grill of opponents in scrums, which I think is important. I think we've been a decently physical team recently in terms of hitting, we don't get pushed around while play is live, but in scrums our skill players DO get pushed around. Having Domi in the top 6 (or top 9) will help a bit, he's a chippy dude after the whistle, and a surprisingly good fighter for a small, skill guy.

Really the only worry I've seen ppl have is his advanced stats haven't been good recently. But you need to look deeper - e.g. here's his even strength Corsi and Fenwick, broken down by team he played for:

2022/23:
- With Dallas (strong team): 51.9 CF%, 52.2 FF%
- With Chicago (terrible team): 43.1 CF%, 43.6 FF%

2021/22:
- With Carolina (strong team): 62.1 CF%, 61.1 FF%
- With Columbus (weak team): 47.0 CF%, 46.7 FF%

2020/21:
- With Columbus (terrible team): 46.5 CF%, 46.5 FF%

2019/20:
- With Montreal (weak team): 53.3 CF%, 51.5 FF%

2018/19:
- With Montreal (mediocre team): 51.5 CF%, 51.6 FF%

Advanced stats are basically all team stats, ppl try to tease apart individual performance from the team around them, but with pretty limited success IMO. Domi has had good advanced stats on good teams, bad advanced stats on bad teams, which tells us ... very little.

Last edited:

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I haven't really focused on hockey too much, but i wanted to chime in how much i like this signing. It's funny for all the talk that players give about wanting to play for the Leafs.. We heard it with Foligno, we heard it with oreilly. We hear it all the time. I don't know it seemed a bit superficial. But i REALLY believe it with Max Domi. You can just tell this means more to him and i honestly think it's going to show up in his play. I can see him being something that we have not had since Kadri and it's something that we have sorely missed.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I like the signing - good AAV, he'll be motivated (1 year term, playing for his hometown team), he's got plenty of skill, and he'll be a rare Leaf who does like to get in the grill of opponents in scrums, which I think is important. I think we've been a decently physical team recently in terms of hitting, we don't get pushed around while play is live, but in scrums our skill players do get pushed around, having Domi in the top 6 (or top 9) will help a bit, he's a chippy dude after the whistle, and a surprisingly good fighter for a small, skill guy.

Really the only worry I've seen ppl have is his advanced stats haven't been good recently. But you need to look deeper - e.g. here's his even strength Corsi and Fenwick, broken down by team he played for:

2022/23:

2021/22:

2020/21:

2019/20:

2018/19:

Advanced stats are basically all team stats, ppl try to tease apart individual performance from the team around them, but with pretty limited success IMO. Domi has had good advanced stats on good teams, bad advanced stats on bad teams, which tells us ... very little.

Well at least he should be good here. We are a good team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I like the signing - good AAV, he'll be motivated (1 year term, playing for his hometown team), he's got plenty of skill, and he'll be a rare Leaf who does like to get in the grill of opponents in scrums, which I think is important. I think we've been a decently physical team recently in terms of hitting, we don't get pushed around while play is live, but in scrums our skill players do get pushed around, having Domi in the top 6 (or top 9) will help a bit, he's a chippy dude after the whistle, and a surprisingly good fighter for a small, skill guy.

2022/23:

2021/22:

2020/21:

2019/20:

2018/19:

I'm more concerned with how much he's bounced around. Hopefully he's on a short leash.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Hopefully he feasts on bottom feeders at least. Keefe Leafs seems to always have those close games, whether it is a top 5 or a bottom 5 team. Need a player or two that can pad stats against the shit teams.

Reactions: CincoHolio

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Good shot. Good speed. Gets open. Not afraid to take it to the net or actually shoot the puck. On a team that notoriously overpasses the puck, that’s a welcomed quality.

Definitely intrigued to see how much offense Klingberg, Knies, Domi & Bertuzzi can supply to this team

This Domi boy looks better than Kerfoot

Reactions: fancy lad

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
He was really well spoken on Overdrive.
Really excited for him.
I’m hoping the one year works out and he gets a nice 4 or 5 year extension in the Jarnkrok Kerfoot range.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Why move Jarnkrok he's the perfect 3rd line RW
I like Jarnkrok. He is everything Kerfoot was supposed to be for just around 2/3 the cap hit.
He provides secondary scoring, he kills penalties, he is sold in his own end, plays all 3 forward positions and plays effectively on all 4 lines.

But with all that said if they are looking to change the identity of this team he doesn’t offer much in the way of physical play, intimidation or push back.
I wouldn’t trade him but I could see why others would including potentially our GM

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like Jarnkrok. He is everything Kerfoot was supposed to be for just around 2/3 the cap hit.
He provides secondary scoring, he kills penalties, he is sold in his own end, plays all 3 forward positions and plays effectively on all 4 lines.

But with all that said if they are looking to change the identity of this team he doesn’t offer much in the way of physical play, intimidation or push back.
I wouldn’t trade him but I could see why others would including potentially our GM

I think it's definitely possible but I hope now.

RW
Marner
Nylander
Jarnkrok

LW
Bertuzzi
Domi
Knies

I don't know about you but I like that winger depth A LOT

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I think it's definitely possible but I hope now.

RW
Marner
Nylander
Jarnkrok

LW
Bertuzzi
Domi
Knies

I don't know about you but I like that winger depth A LOT
Sure, I like that too. As I said I wouldn’t trade him. But if the team wants to add more size and physicality to the lineup which one of those would be the most expendable?

Now I think it’s more likely those kind of changes come from the back end but if that fails or if the new GM just feels that they aren’t hard enough to play against I could see them moving on from him.

Personally I think the team has already lost too much defensive value to trade away a solid 2 way forward but the signings of the new GM haven’t placed the highest value on defensive ability so he may think differently than I do.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Thing is, he got time with Matthews last year and shot 19% (career 12.5%). He won't score 20 again - he's really a 15 goal/30 point guy. And he'll be 32 at the start of the year so he's about to start trending down for the last few years of his contract.

You should be able to find a 15g/15a guy who is good defensively for close to league min. Pontus, Josh Bailey, Pius Suter, Sundquist. There are lots of those type of guys floating around that could be had for 800k and save you 1.3m in cap over Jarn with minimal difference in production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad