Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Max Domi (1 year, $3M)

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Nice day for Tre!

Agree that T.O. should bring out the best in Max.

Also wanted Bert but didn't see how he'd fit cap wise. Still don't! :)

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
We paid a great deal more for bertuzzi and domi and bunting is the best of the bunch

Kerfoot is probably going to play 20 minutes a night for Arizona

Bunting is just another guy. Matthews and Marner made his career, and he should be sending them thank you letters and a Rolex.

This isn’t a Hyman situation where the player is capable of elevating those he plays with. We’ve seen what Bunting looks like away from Matthews & Marner and it’s not pretty.

Could you imagine, in your wildest dreams, Michael Bunting getting 10 points in 7 games in the playoffs? It would never happen. He has 5 points in 13 career playoff games while playing mostly with Matthews & Marner. That’s putrid.

Reactions: Kurtz and thewave

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
We paid a great deal more for bertuzzi and domi and bunting is the best of the bunch

Kerfoot is probably going to play 20 minutes a night for Arizona
Do you even watch hockey? Domi and Bertuzzi have always been better players than Bunting. I loved Bunting as a Leaf but he's not better than those two. He had a good first season but came back down to Earth this year.

Reactions: Kurtz

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not the biggest fan of Domi, but it's alright on a 1 year deal. Replaces Kerfoot.

The bigger issue is where is this money coming from? Because people have been suggesting Nylander, which is pretty self-explanatory stupid, or Brodie, but considering that we've just spent the offseason bringing in below average to horrible defensive players, I'm not sure trading our best defensive defenseman, and one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, is a justifiable option. I don't want to go back to the horrible defense we had under Lou.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just to temper expectations a little bit:

We are not getting his father. Domi is closer to Nylander than Tie when it comes to physicality. Expect a Bunting-like physical player, if not less, when it comes to Max.

Not saying he is bad, but Phyical, forecheck, dog, etc are not adjectives to describe him accurately.

I remember at the WJHC they talked about how different he was than his father.
Duclair, Rienhart and he were really fun to watch.

Reactions: therealkoho

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not even going to hold the Tkachuk trade against him. He was put in a bad position. I hope he learned from it though. If he has to trade Nylander, we can't have that kind of fleecing.
I wouldn't call that trade a fleecing.

It certainly worked out for Florida last year but at the time most thought Calgary came out ahead.

If he got 2 pieces( top 4 d, top 6 winger) for Nylander it would be a win

Reactions: Da Mash

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I like the way the club is shaping up. Both adds yesterday were great. Even tho they don’t lay hits they are good skating pests that can score you goals. Domi isn’t great defensively but maybe some of that was lack of motivation. Keefer will be on his ass and just playing in Toronto will get Domi hyped up.

I’m fine with the club as is. I do hope Nylander isn’t traded. But then I won’t be sure how we add a tough defensemen. We are over the cap now.

LTIR?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Quality third line piece who will provide some energy and probably bust his ass due to the 1 year deal.

One of the things that I like about our UFA forwards so far is that they're names that come with a lot of extra. Reaves is a gladiator who knows how to work the crowds and social media, even if he can't produce. Domi is going to get treated like the prodigal son and will get a ton of media time due to his last name. Bertuzzi is a shyster who's name will also draw attention. All of this will pull focus away from los amigos, who need less time in the spotlight.

I also like that our UFA's are mostly one year deals. I still think we're going to have a rocky year this year and we might end up selling at the deadline. Bertuzzi got a 1st rounder last year, which would be very nice if we were to swing.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Love this. Term is great too. Set up to be good this year and have plenty of room to maneuver the cap next summer.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Domi fills a need so the contract's fine but my main concern is that he was largely useless his first two playoff runs and only somewhat picked it up this year with Dallas. Hopefully the upward trend continues.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not the biggest fan of Domi, but it's alright on a 1 year deal. Replaces Kerfoot.

The bigger issue is where is this money coming from? Because people have been suggesting Nylander, which is pretty self-explanatory stupid, or Brodie, but considering that we've just spent the offseason bringing in below average to horrible defensive players, I'm not sure trading our best defensive defenseman, and one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, is a justifiable option. I don't want to go back to the horrible defense we had under Lou.
Brodie dropped off considerably last season and in the playoffs. It might be a good time to move on from him and find a better replacement with that cap space.

Reactions: socko

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Just to temper expectations a little bit:

We are not getting his father. Domi is closer to Nylander than Tie when it comes to physicality. Expect a Bunting-like physical player, if not less, in Max.

Not saying he is bad, but Phyical, forecheck, dog, etc are not adjectives to describe him accurately.

Yeah for sure, he's not going to bulldoze people everynight. The difference between Domi and Kerfoot is when the going gets tough Domi will be there, and will punch you in the face,

Reactions: Donnie740

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Brodie dropped off considerably last season and in the playoffs.
He really didn't. He had a couple rough games/moments in the playoffs after a good season, and everybody wants to trade him all of a sudden, when he's been one of our best and most reliable defenseman for years, and we just added a bunch of below average defensive players.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
He really didn't. He had a couple rough games/moments in the playoffs after a good season, and everybody wants to trade him all of a sudden, when he's been one of our best and most reliable defenseman for years, and we just added a bunch of below average defensive players.
Either way he's on the last year of his deal like Nylander...

The Leafs are either losing a 27 year old Nylander or a 34 year old Brodie...

Pretty easy choice who to move.

Reactions: socko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad