Speculation: Leafs rushed the rebuild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There was nothing wrong with our rebuild. The only thing we've missed is that late round homerun that most good teams seem to find.

I'm not even sure how we would continue our rebuild? Not play Matthews, Marner, and Nylander in their rookie season? Not acquiring a starting goaltender in decent age when one was actually available? All so we can acquire that one last piece through high draft picks, instead of using one of the many other avenues available.

Its certainly a strange idea, I mean you could even make the case they kept Marner and Nylander away from the team longer than they needed too, so this notion of te team rushing things doesnt stand up to much scrutiny

You raise an interesting point about late round impact players. Not an ssue yet but unfortunately the Leafs drafting as late doesnt look like it'll produce any stars beyond those top 10 picks. Though Sandin and Liljgren may challenge that

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
You raise an interesting point about late round impact players. Not an ssue yet but unfortunately the Leafs drafting as late doesnt look like it'll produce any stars beyond those top 10 picks. Though Sandin and Liljgren may challenge that

Well, if any of our later-round picks surprisingly turn into stars, we won't really know it until they do. That's kinda how that works.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
With emphasis on slow-cooking prospects, it’s hard to say, but, from:
2014-Engvall’s trajectory is still good
2015-Bracco, you mentioned, Dermott’s a strong pick, Lindgren is tracking well
2016- Woll and Brooks are tracking well, Korshkov is here.
2017- Scott is tracking well, toolsy/big D...maybe
2018- early returns are pretty good on 5 guys outside of the first round, and another impressed enough to earn an ELC.
Add in Durzi and Grundstrom moved.
14 and 17....not as strong as 15,16, and 18.

Reactions: Dayjobdave

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Again I don’t think we rushed it, but we didn’t address key issues. Lou didn’t get us a RHD and neither did Dubas. I think we needed a RHD. Either they needed to trade for one or Liljegren should have been brought up for the playoffs.

Secondly coaching this year has been awful. Babcock made no adjustments. If we are going to win he has to make adjustments on the fly and not fall in love with matchup stuff. Just try and win at all costs

Reactions: SAMCRO44

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Additionally we have tough decisions to make. We need to let Hainsey and Marleau go. Trade Johnsson for a picks or a quality damn. And call up Liljegren and Bracco (both are ready). We need those young ELC players.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Took the Capitals 14 years to win their cup, but the Leafs didn't do it in 3 so they did it all wrong.

It's kinda hilarious actually, people trying to say we weren't patient enough, all because we haven't won a cup right away.
Perfectly wrapped up in this statement.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There was nothing wrong with our rebuild. The only thing we've missed is that late round homerun that most good teams seem to find.

I'm not even sure how we would continue our rebuild? Not play Matthews, Marner, and Nylander in their rookie season? Not acquiring a starting goaltender in decent age when one was actually available? All so we can acquire that one last piece through high draft picks, instead of using one of the many other avenues available.

Some would argue that adding Tavares didn't address our problems at D, and will ultimately trigger cap problems.

IDK - real hard to say or conclude anything, but that is something that could be said that at least warrants some thought. Regardless, might not have any impact many years from now.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Seems to be lots of good young talent on the Marlies.

The big club is young, and is a contender.

I’ve been watching the Leafs since the 60 s. This is the first rebuild they didn’t rush.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Took the Capitals 14 years to win their cup, but the Leafs didn't do it in 3 so they did it all wrong.

It's kinda hilarious actually, people trying to say we weren't patient enough, all because we haven't won a cup right away.
This comment is so LOL now.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
No, there is never a bad time to add a guy like Tavares.

yes, I also wish the leafs had fewer good players

Lol get a grip
everything about the energy including the dumb wording to justify it, petty sarcasm and full of it tone as well as how pervasive it is seeing the reactions is precisely why this fanbase doesn’t deserve f*** all and never learns their lesson. I had argued with countless people on here (ignore join date) and none of them remotely cared about sticking to what they whined they wanted the org to do for a decade and were very happy with doing what they wanted the team to get away from.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I screamed about this... SCREAMED about it... after the leafs 7 rookie team snuck into the playoffs. This was less than ONE year after we were told to "prepare for pain". I said that the rebuild WASN'T done. That we needed to improve our defensive prospect depth. But that MLSE wouldn't be able to control themselves and the rebuild would be over. And then (OF COURSE) the Marleau contract was signed, sealing our fate.

MLSE will never be able to not see the short term playoff profit margin. It will never go away. EVER.

And now we got too good too quickly, inflating our young players stats, making them sign for unprecedented numbers. This rebuild got royally f***ed up. Most leaf fans won't accept it yet. We've already been through so much, and they just can't accpet it. But they will. We pay unproven players far FAR too much money right now, and we won't be able to acquire the depth to make deep playoff runs.
felt the same way brother very well said amazing post. if shanny had any iq as a manager he’d read this post, see the date, and hire you in a part time consultant role. I can respect your experience watching this core over the years fail repeatedly because unlike management and most of this fanbase you had enough emotional maturity and wisdom to stick by the principles everyone claimed they wanted for so long.

Reactions: thewave

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Go look at all the picks gone next 2 drafts. Go look at all the picks traded and for what? It wasn't rushed, it was blown up. Kadri for spare parts. Then the boring apologists cry because we can't pay Marner as we have no backend. They need a reset. If I'm the Leafs I'm looking for young, cheap, NHL ready for Marner.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
They didn't rush the rebuild.
They just didn't do a good job.

we have a 2 year window to build a Stanley cup contender before Matthews asks for a trade.

I can't see why a 29 year old Matthews would continue to be a leaf if the organization failed to build a contender.

retain 50% the final 2 years of Matthews contract and we should get a significant return.
Matthews at a $6.6 Cap hit for 2 years is pretty sweet for a contender to pass up.

Marner, Tavares and Matthews all need to go for their own sake.

not trading Nylander last year was a mistake.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
To this day I will defend the decision to lock up the core.
The cap was going up, they would have easily extended Hyman and had plenty of cap for another good defender or two. Covid completely screwed them.

I won't defend not moving one of Marner/Nylander way earlier. It was very dumb to walk back this core after the Columbus and then Habs series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ianturnedbull

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Lou Lam was the problem, he had tons of $s to upgrade the roster because the young stars were on ELCs but he didn't know how, his 3 years at the helm were a total waste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad