Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #125 - Dmytro Timashov - LW/RW - UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I gotta admit I'm not really comfortable with how small we are.

I get that taking one or two smallers guys here and there is smart but this is getting ridiculous

Read the articles on the Russian 5 that were posted here. It makes sense in that light. Leafs will be like the Red Wings 2.0

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Thank god someone else said it, cause I was going to say that this guy is close to Marner. And he knows it, when he was interviewed after being selected, he was steaming mad at being picked so far down. You could see how pissed off he was.

This guy is way ahead of almost everyone in the draft.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/sp...8-les-maple-leafs-signent-dmytro-timashov.php

Following an excellent training camp with the Maple Leafs, Dmytro Timashov has not slowed down since his return with the Remparts, holding on the sixth rank in scoring in the QMJHL with 13 goals and 28 assists. It was enough to convince Toronto to sign him, which they did on Monday.

Combining 14 games with two points or more since the beginning of the year, Timashov enjoyed his best offensive game on November 8 with two goals and three assists in a win over the Screaming Eagles. A performances that clearly made an impression with the Maple Leafs who signed him to an ELC.

"I am very happy to have signed my first professional contract. I wanted it and now that it's done, all I want is to make the team", he told us on Monday.

Even if he had impressed at the training camp, Timashov wasn't sure he would be offered a contract this year. At least not until a few days ago.

"There were new young players in training camp, so you never know..." he suggested.

Guilty of indiscipline against the Foreurs on Sunday, the offensive dynamo had also learned the day before that his place was not sure with the Swedish national team for the World Juniors. Was his behavior in the game a sign of frustration?

"It wasn't related. But it's true that I want to make the team and I will give everything I have to get there," he said.

If there is frustration, it is more about his star status in the QMJHL.

"He gets hit a lot, he's a target" noted Boucher who encourages his forward not to retaliate.

Last edited:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I know Sweden always has good depth for the WJC, but I find it hard to believe there's no room for Timashov. Maybe they're worried about his skating? I don't know, just seems like there are not many players available with his skillset.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The thing is we often look at draft steal and how some players fall down in the draft table or how stupid is our scouts for not drafting him.......
We are all talking about a whole bunch of 17/18 yrs old. What if someone like Timashov just out worked everyone in the draft. Say guys usually work 10 hrs a day but Timashov works 13hrs. That's 30% more than the rest and in a the long run, it will paid dividend. Ofcourse, he might never be as talented as Connor but he could be closer than the diff in their draft positions.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The thing is we often look at draft steal and how some players fall down in the draft table or how stupid is our scouts for not drafting him.......
We are all talking about a whole bunch of 17/18 yrs old. What if someone like Timashov just out worked everyone in the draft. Say guys usually work 10 hrs a day but Timashov works 13hrs. That's 30% more than the rest and in a the long run, it will paid dividend. Ofcourse, he might never be as talented as Connor but he could be closer than the diff in their draft positions.

Timashov was rookie of the year in the QMJHL last year so he was basically a known quantity. The scouting reports don't really talk about any criticisms of his game aside from the fact he should shoot the puck more often and work on his defensive play.

Craig Button mentioned that he needs to work on his explosiveness in his skating but you could say that about almost any 18 yr old prospect not named McDavid.

Adam Oates and Ron Francis weren't exactly speedsters but created offense like Timashov using their tremendous vision and creativity.

Somehow this very talented kid was overlooked for the first 4 rounds of the draft. I think playing in the Q combined with his unusual background and shorter stature probably contributed but none of those things will prevent him from becoming an impact player.

Komarov was a 7th rounder. Sometimes guys just get overlooked. I'm just glad the leafs drafted him. It's like a bonus 1st round pick.

Last edited:

SingleAallStar

Nov 26, 2014
I have seen multiple people assume that he might not make the WJC team because the coach didn't watch him play.

But the truth is that the coach is very high on him and he is likely a lock. I can't remember my source but go google it.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
When did he move to Sweden? I never realized he was Swedish until I saw the article posted above and saw how good his English was/is.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Please do, he reminds me of Marner in the way that he wants to be the "man" all the time. Every time he is on the ice. Peter Forsberg type of stuff. Cept Forsberg liked taking your head off as well as wow you. God, what a player that guy was.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Please do, he reminds me of Marner in the way that he wants to be the "man" all the time. Every time he is on the ice. Peter Forsberg type of stuff. Cept Forsberg liked taking your head off as well as wow you. God, what a player that guy was.

I miss forsberg and always rooted for him when he tried to come back...but alas...it was never to be.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
What a player he was. Incredible that they had Sakic, Foote and Roy as well. Amazing core that was.

Watch highlights of Forsberg, man, hard to believe he even lasted a few seasons. Guy was just a wrecking ball of passion and talent.

champs*

I don't get why he lasted to the 125 pick? I also like him ahead of bracco :nod:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I think he is a lot better than Sacco myself, look at the interview after he was taken in the fifth round, that was a guy trying very hard not to look very upset about being taken that low. Lot of pride in that guy. Lot of skill.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I think Marner has a viciousness that Forsberg had. I hope he does a lot of gym time, cause Marner not only wants to score, he wants to inflict. Cannot wait to see him in the blue and white but I don't want to see an Antropov situation either. A great talent being diminished too soon.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't get why he lasted to the 125 pick? I also like him ahead of bracco :nod:

i like him ahead of everyone other than willy and mitch.

stunning he fell so low. glad i picked him up in my keeper league.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I couldn't believe Timashov slipped to the 5th round after watching him in the pre-season games. He has remarkable on-ice vision and is a very shifty player. Quite honestly he's not far below Marner in terms of offensive upside.

Scoring 90 points as a rookie in the CHL is not an easy thing to do.

Absolute draft steal.

Underlined: **** no.

Guys with 1.65-1.75 ppg in Q as a 19 yo +/- 6mo:
  • Keven Veilleux
  • Patrice Cormier
  • Joel Champaign
  • Mathieu Benoit
  • Mikhail Grigorenko
  • Jean-Gabriel Pageau
  • Nikita Kucherov
  • Alexandre Giroux
  • Dmitri Afanasenkov
  • Jean-Pierre Dumont
  • Stephane Veilleux
  • Joel Perrault
  • Eric Daze
  • Stanislav Lascek
  • Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau
  • Alexei Shkotov

Some decent players, there, and I re-iterate as I have earlier when commenting on this pick that it is a fantastic pick for #125, but the Marner comps are nearly uniformly all-stars in the NHL.

Marner put up 2ppg over a complete season a year younger in a lower scoring league.

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011
Dmytro Timashov report from Isles/Remparts game

Do you mean in terms of impact? They're polar opposites in playing style :laugh:

Dmytro Timashov vs Charlottetown Islanders:

He did turn out to score the eventual game winner. Initially thought he assisted on it cause I seen him pass it from the corner to a teammate in front but he got credit so it must have went in off a defender. For his stat line he had the one goal, mentioned above was a +1, 2 pim and had 5 shots on goal. He is certainly a pass first player, we all knew that from all the assists he got last year. He's on pace to score somewhere close to 30 but hoping he makes Sweden's world jr team so he will finish somewhere in the 20's. I was actually surprised to see he had that many shots on goal tonight cuz watching the game I thought he passed up many chances to shoot. The offense does revolve around Timashov, no one else on the team comes close to his skill level, including Leaf camp invite Nikolas Brouillard who had a solid, yet unspectacular game with 2 assists himself. The only other drafted player besides Dmytro is backup goaltender Callum Booth by CAR. Timashov is very dangerous with the puck, quick and shifty more then fast and effective at carrying the puck up ice and into the offensive zone. I feel like he could still find an extra gear if he really wanted to be more aggressive offensively. Plays on a line with Charley Graaskamp at Center and Bronson Beaton on RW. This is the Remparts go to line and started every PP. Played the point on PP a couple times. Never shy about calling for the puck, heard him call for the puck on many occasions, he wants the puck on his stick

Negatives I noticed in his game: saw him hollering for the puck up by center ice numerous times while his defenceman is behind his own net starting the breakout thats a no no in pro hockey. I'm not gonna worry about that part of his game right now. I'm sure Babs and the rest of the staff will work with him at next years training camp and Keefe and his staff once he joins Marlies next year. I don't find he works very hard for pucks in the corner and tends to play on the outside quite a bit. He needs a lot of work on his play without the puck but thats nothing new at this level.
I think when he hits pro he will need a grinder/worker bee on his line to grind in the corners and get the puck to him. He could also use a scorer on his line at the next level because he's such a great passer and can find anyone open. The only other knock on him i can see is that I wish he was more selfish with the puck and shot the puck more but he's on pace to score more than last year and has half as many shots as he did all of last season so he's on the right track in my opinion. Feel free to ask me any questions about him that you want. My guess is he is atleast 2-3 years away. Two years of pro after this year i think is an approximate timeline for him to transform his game into the Babcock system

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad