Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #125 - Dmytro Timashov - LW/RW - UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
Tymo is built like St-Louis though. Does he not way a lot for his height and have great lower body strength?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
He was drafted out of the CHL, therefore his eligibility is of a CHL player.

His current CHL contract is expired however, therefore his choices are NHL, CHL (Quebec still has his rights I do believe) or Europe.

Any chance he has a loophole the way Julius Honka did?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any chance he has a loophole the way Julius Honka did?

Good question and forgot about Honka playing in the AHL as an 18/19 year old CHL draft prospect.

I'm not sure.

I'd love for Timashov to play in the AHL as an 18/19 year old though. I think his development would be well suited for that league.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Good question and forgot about Honka playing in the AHL as an 18/19 year old CHL draft prospect.

I'm not sure.

I'd love for Timashov to play in the AHL as an 18/19 year old though. I think his development would be well suited for that league.

It depends on how he came over last season.

Honka (or his agent more likely) found a loophole in the system that allowed him to be sent to the AHL. He was technically signed in Europe and was "on loan" to his CHL team. So even though he was playing in the CHL in his draft season, he was considered as drafted from Europe.

Timashov would have needed a contract in Sweden for that to be the case.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It depends on how he came over last season.

Honka (or his agent more likely) found a loophole in the system that allowed him to be sent to the AHL. He was technically signed in Europe and was "on loan" to his CHL team. So even though he was playing in the CHL in his draft season, he was considered as drafted from Europe.

Timashov would have needed a contract in Sweden for that to be the case.

That makes sense.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He went from 63 in 2013-2014 to 98 games in 2014-2015 (5 preseason, 66 regular season, 22 playoff, and 5 memorial cup games. Figured I'd put the numbers together for you haha). Like you said, that's a huge jump in games played especially for a first year import player. 35 extra games is not insignificant.

I included the 3 intra squad games at the Remparts camp. :popcorn:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

I'm not sure.

He only has one season left before being AHL eligible. Going back to the Q for one season isn't the end of the world. If it's the SHL, it'd better be with top 6 minutes.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Hard to find a situation where such a young kid in the SHL gets those prime top 6 minutes, but if he could get them, I think for sure he benefits by being there. Also believe he'll be at the WJC for Sweden.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Going back to the Q and be a top player in the playoffs would already be something to improve on.

I wouldn't be surprised if Quebec tries to trade him to a contender. There are some missing imports.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Leafs had the final word

1060631-avec-remparts-vais-avoir-beaucoup.jpg

(Quebec) Released by the Maple Leafs in the morning, Dmytro Timashov reported to the Remparts on Wednesday evening, ending weeks of speculation about the team he would suit up for this season.

After he missed the Remparts training camp in August, the team's leading scorer in 2014-2015 (90 points) had raised many eyebrows when he preferred participating in some tournaments with the Swedish U20 team in Europe.

He then headed to Toronto, where he took part in the Maple Leafs camp. In the meantime, Timashov remained evasive about his intentions at the end of the camp, leaving open the opportunity to go play a professional season in Sweden if he didn't make the NHL.

Given his status as a European player and his age, Timashov could only play for two teams in North America, the Remparts and the Leafs. Ultimately, the Leafs had the final word.

"I spoke with the Leafs to know what they would like me to do. And my agent proposed to me a few options in Sweden. Then I decided with which team it would be better to go and it was Quebec. With the Remparts, I'll have a lot of ice time. And we have a very good coach, so it will be good for me. And that's what the Leafs wanted", said Timashov.

The fifth-round pick (125th overall) of Toronto in June didn't hide that it was his desire to be part of the Swedish national team at the upcoming World Juniors that made him contemplate the idea of playing in his country. But his tournaments with the U20 team made him confident about his chances.

"I played a few tournaments with the Sweden national team before the camp of the Maple Leafs. And it went very well. The coach Rikard Grönborg and I established a good dialogue. He did not know me much last year, because I had not played much with the national team before that. Now that I've played with them and they know me a little better, I hope he will call me."

So, his return to Quebec is far from being a burden. At the end of the day, it was his choice. He showed up at the airport on Wednesday, visibly delighted to return to the capital. "I missed Quebec," he admitted, smiling. "But now I'm back. And I'm very happy to be here."

Gaining muscle

Before leaving Toronto, the small forward had made a good impression in his first professional camp with the Maple Leafs, especially during a preseason game against the Ottawa Senators on Monday, a 4-3 win in overtime where he played 16 minutes, finished with two assists and maintained a differential of +1.

"It was a very good camp, it was exciting. I played with good players and against good players. I worked hard and got good results. Monday, I was particularly happy to see [a fellow Swede] Erik Karlsson and play against him. It was the first time. It was great."

As for the Leafs, they told Timashov to gain more body mass and wish him a good season in Quebec. This is the message that head coach Mike Babcock passed to his player, when he learned of his faith on Wednesday morning.

"He called me and wished me good luck. He asked me to gain muscle this season and to know a good camp next year and told me that I'd have a chance to make the team," he said.

Timashov is now eager to see his teammates and discover the Videotron Center where he has never set foot. "I am very excited! Let's see if I can play against the Huskies tomorrow [Thursday]. That's what I asked Phil [Boucher, coach], but everything will depend if my transfer is completed," he has revealed.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/sp...leafs-ont-eu-le-dernier-mot-avec-timashov.php

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Funny Google Translate fact.

It translated the french sentence "Je me suis ennuyé de Québec" as "I got bored of Quebec" but it really means "I missed Quebec". Quite a difference. :laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Funny Google Translate fact.

It translated the french sentence "Je me suis ennuyé de Québec" as "I got bored of Quebec" but it really means "I missed Quebec". Quite a difference. :laugh:

Direct translation - ennuyé = bored or missing someone/something

I can see why it did that translation but it's definitely not a context translator. :laugh:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
"He called me and wished me good luck. He asked me to gain muscle this season and to know a good camp next year and told me that I'd have a chance to make the team," he said.

Funny, everyone makes the team next year!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Play the kids :wg:

Timo had a great first showing and made a lasting first impression on Leafs management.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Lol. Better to offer words of encouragement though...and to be fair, I think he impressed more then you would have thought for a pick taken so late...so recently.

Looking forward to watching him at the WJC and keep track of his progress this year in the Q.

I like the strategy of drafting for skill. Seems like the type of player that if he works out we have a top 6 forward versus a 3rd or 4th line forward...I know which one i'd rather have.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Question for the older patrons of the board - Does Timashov remind of the typical Red Army player from the 70s? Short, thick, super shifty with the puck and on his skates?

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I can't wait for this year to be over.

Not because we're going to have a brutal season (I think we'll be bad but not the worst) but because I think next offseason will be so fun and intriguing. We'll have another year of Nylander, Brown and Kapanen; we'll know more about what we have in guys like Timashov, Korostelev and Dzierkals, and we'll get to look forward to our 2016 draft in which we'll have 10-15 picks. it's just so crazy to think about.

I think Tima has a strong camp next year and competes for a spot but ultimately falls due to a numbers game. Kind of like Nylander and Brown this year.

I'm just going off of my NHL 16 knowledge right now, but isn't he AHL eligible next year?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I can't wait for this year to be over.

Not because we're going to have a brutal season (I think we'll be bad but not the worst) but because I think next offseason will be so fun and intriguing. We'll have another year of Nylander, Brown and Kapanen; we'll know more about what we have in guys like Timashov, Korostelev and Dzierkals, and we'll get to look forward to our 2016 draft in which we'll have 10-15 picks. it's just so crazy to think about.

I think Tima has a strong camp next year and competes for a spot but ultimately falls due to a numbers game. Kind of like Nylander and Brown this year.

I'm just going off of my NHL 16 knowledge right now, but isn't he AHL eligible next year?

He is.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It's interesting that the article says the Leafs had the final word, but the way Timashov words it, is that it actually more just input. He poses it as the Leafs wanted him to play in Quebec, and his agent gave him options for going to Sweden. If that's the case, I like that he is taking the Leafs input with such weight.

He came to the CHL to get more exposure for his NHL Draft so doing what his NHL team wants is the good move.

He was barely known before coming to CHL and putting up those stats.

He is playing tonight afterall.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Went to hockey streams to watch Quebec vs Rouyn-Noranda, but its just a french radio broadcast stream. All I know is that it's 3-1, no idea about Tima and Dzierkals

EDIT: Now it's back to video

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad