Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #125 - Dmytro Timashov - LW/RW - UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dandelion*

Ahhh okay. Thought you meant Babcock is an idiot. lol

nah. It's Amazing how overlooked he is though. You dont Always need size to be a star in this League. Martin St Loius type of player?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
nah. It's Amazing how overlooked he is though. You dont Always need size to be a star in this League. Martin St Loius type of player?

St-Louis was an amazing skater with one of the best work ethics in the entire NHL. Heart of a lion and just a great player at both ends of the ice. He also had a great shot.

Timashov plays an entirely different game.

The only thing they have in common is that they are considered undersized for NHL standards.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
It made me over the moon when the Leafs picked someone in the later rounds that I actually wanted us to take. I'm happy other teams overlooked him due to his size and we took the gamble. The skill is through the roof with Tima! Loving this pick more and more everyday.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015

That's a lofty comparison, St. Louis was fearless, played with a serious edge. Haven't seen Timashov play enough to know if he has that in his game. Even if he's a pure passer, Marc Savard type player I'm happy with that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I was wondering if Hemsky may be a good comparison for Timashov, or Tanguay.

Dandelion*

St-Louis was an amazing skater with one of the best work ethics in the entire NHL. Heart of a lion and just a great player at both ends of the ice. He also had a great shot.

Timashov plays an entirely different game.

The only thing they have in common is that they are considered undersized for NHL standards.

I am just saying that plenty of players get passed on in the draft because they dont have size. And unfairly so.

That's a lofty comparison, St. Louis was fearless, played with a serious edge.
and yet he was waived by flames.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am just saying that plenty of players get passed on in the draft because they dont have size.

I don't disagree there.

I think Timashov falling in the draft is also due to his skating and upper body strength. He's not the fastest guy on the ice and when you're considered undersized, it can be tough to make it as a pro if you can't move fast. His edging and lateral movement though are really good and that makes him a very slippery player, which is why he's able to control the puck incredibly well.

That's why it's never a bad thing to take a chance on these highly skilled players, no matter how big they are. Great value pick and Timashov will have a lot of time to develop over the next 3 to 5 years.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I don't disagree there.

I think Timashov falling in the draft is also due to his skating and upper body strength. He's not the fastest guy on the ice and when you're considered undersized, it can be tough to make it as a pro if you can't move fast. His edging and lateral movement though are really good and that makes him a very slippery player, which is why he's able to control the puck incredibly well.

That's why it's never a bad thing to take a chance on these highly skilled players, no matter how big they are. Great value pick and Timashov will have a lot of time to develop over the next 3 to 5 years.

What current or former player would you compare him to?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was wondering if Hemsky may be a good comparison for Timashov, or Tanguay.

Wellwood had 83 assists his draft year, but did score 35 goals.

Both are 5'10".

I thought of Wellwood while watching last night's game, as Timashov found stick after stick through legs and skates.

Of course Antropov was an adept passer as well, but 6'6", 240 lbs.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Timashov's point production and overall performance wasn't as good at the end of the season and in the playoffs last season, that might explain why he fell. However, with the pre-season, season, playoffs and Memorial Cup, he played just over 100 games. That's a lot for a first year euro who's not used to that kind of calendar.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't disagree there.

What you describe there is actually what most would call the characteristics of good agile skating. It's very encouraging because it's probably much easier to increase your foot speed than become a more agile skater.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What current or former player would you compare him to?

Ulf mentioned Kyle Wellwood as a pretty solid comparable that I tend to agree with. Not the fastest guy but very slippery with his edging, vision and great hands. Wellwood fell off badly due to poor conditioning and of course Timashov is a different person and likely not going to go through the same off ice issues as Wellwood. Probably the lower end of his ceiling though.

If he develops at a high level, Nicklas Backstrom plays a similar game. Not a top goal scorer but a fantastic playmaker that can dominate with the right linemates. Backstrom is bigger though and a faster skater. This is not likely for Timashov, but if he develops at a high level then maybe there's a very slight chance.

David Desharnais from the Habs is also a player Timashov plays similarly too. Probably the middle ground between Wellwood and Backstrom.

It really depends on how he develops.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wellwood had 83 assists his draft year, but did score 35 goals.

Both are 5'10".

I thought of Wellwood while watching last night's game, as Timashov found stick after stick through legs and skates.

Of course Antropov was an adept passer as well, but 6'6", 240 lbs.

Playing style and talent, I think Wellwood wouldn't be a bad comparison, although Timashov seems more dialled in and hopefully willing to work off the ice ;)

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
What you describe there is actually what most would call the characteristics of good agile skating. It's very encouraging because it's probably much easier to increase your foot speed than become a more agile skater.

That's right, different types of skating for different types of players.
Reilly and Nylander, for example, are explosive. THey get the puck and they take off. Other players its more about quickness and being elusive. Would put Marner in that category.

Burke had this to say about Gaudreau and its true.
Hockey isn't about winning a race from one end of the rink to the other, its about winning races to the puck whithin 15/20 feet, and Gaudreau wins most of those races.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ulf mentioned Kyle Wellwood as a pretty solid comparable that I tend to agree with. Not the fastest guy but very slippery with his edging, vision and great hands. Wellwood fell off badly due to poor conditioning and of course Timashov is a different person and likely not going to go through the same off ice issues as Wellwood. Probably the lower end of his ceiling though.

If he develops at a high level, Nicklas Backstrom plays a similar game. Not a top goal scorer but a fantastic playmaker that can dominate with the right linemates. Backstrom is bigger though and a faster skater. This is not likely for Timashov, but he develops at a high level then maybe there's a very slight chance.

David Desharnais from the Habs is also a player Timashov plays similarly too. Probably the middle ground between Wellwood and Backstrom.

It really depends on how he develops.

Playing style and talent, I think Wellwood wouldn't be a bad comparison, although Timashov seems more dialled in and hopefully willing to work off the ice ;)

Hopefully he doesn't have the baggage Wellwood was carrying around.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder where Timashov goes? SHL? Q?

I'd like to see him back in Sweden to be honest. I would love to watch him more closely in the Q but I think the SHL would be really good for his development. He would need to find a SHL team that he could be play top 6 minutes though. Tuck him away for 2 years until he's AHL eligible, then he makes his way to the Marlies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Timashov's point production and overall performance wasn't as good at the end of the season and in the playoffs last season, that might explain why he fell. However, with the pre-season, season, playoffs and Memorial Cup, he played just over 100 games. That's a lot for a first year euro who's not used to that kind of calendar.

He went from 63 in 2013-2014 to 98 games in 2014-2015 (5 preseason, 66 regular season, 22 playoff, and 5 memorial cup games. Figured I'd put the numbers together for you haha). Like you said, that's a huge jump in games played especially for a first year import player. 35 extra games is not insignificant.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully he doesn't have the baggage Wellwood was carrying around.

I always believed in Welly even before he was drafted by the Leafs and I don't think this comparable is that far off.

Measured at 5-9 and 192 lbs by Central Scouting at the draft combine makes it appear he is built like a Bowling Ball in body type.

It interesting that Timo at 5-9/192 and Marner at 5-11/160 how much that weight more than height plays into strong on the puck and development at this point. Dyytro is harder to knock off the puck because of that low center of gravity.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I'd like to see him back in Sweden to be honest. I would love to watch him more closely in the Q but I think the SHL would be really good for his development. He would need to find a SHL team that he could be play top 6 minutes though. Tuck him away for 2 years until he's AHL eligible, then he makes his way to the Marlies.

Why is he not AHL eligible now? Has he signed a CHL deal? If not, then he should be good to join the Marlies. If he has, doesn't he need to go to the CHL if he's not on our roster?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Why is he not AHL eligible now? Has he signed a CHL deal? If not, then he should be good to join the Marlies. If he has, doesn't he need to go to the CHL if he's not on our roster?

Drafted from the CHL means no AHL until his overage season.

Not signing a player card with his Q teams means he can go to Europe and play pro there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He was drafted out of the CHL, therefore his eligibility is of a CHL player.

His current CHL contract is expired however, therefore his choices are NHL, CHL (Quebec still has his rights I do believe) or Europe.

Last edited:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
He was drafted out of the CHL, therefore his eligibility is of the right of a CHL player.

His current CHL contract is expired however, therefore his choices are NHL, CHL (Quebec still has his rights I do believe) or Europe.

So would the Europeans need to knowingly enter the CHL import draft? What if he didn't want to be drafted by the CHL (so that the AHL could remain a possibility)?

Edit: \Got Timashov and Dzerikals confused. I see. My bad. Carry on! :)

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
So would the Europeans need to knowingly enter the CHL import draft? What if he didn't want to be drafted by the CHL (so that the AHL could remain a possibility)?

Edit: \Got Timashov and Dzerikals confused. I see. My bad. Carry on! :)

It's playing in the CHL that's the key thing. Lots of great Euros get drafted but never play CHL like Nylander for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad