Weekes: Leafs nearing $5M AAV deal for Tanev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I love almost no player in the league like I love Tanev. I understand the intangibles he brings in a near intimate fashion, he is a warrior, he has been criminally underrated for the entirety of his career, and the things I would do to get him back to Vancouver are nigh unspeakable.

6 years at 5 million for Chris Tanev at this point in his career is why we ended up locked out for multiple seasons.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Great pick up. the good

they get Tanev

the bad. Hes aging and his party wants term. but good pick up by the leafs. Somehow I also think Brad is not really the GM and Shanny is the puppet master. Damn.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Great pick up. the good

they get Tanev

the bad. Hes aging and his party wants term. but good pick up by the leafs. Somehow I also think Brad is not really the GM and Shanny is the puppet master. Damn.
1000020912.png

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
$5 mill is extremely cheap for one of the best defensive dman in the league. Not to mention a major need for Toronto.

The leafs will LTIR him after year 3-4 or whenever he becomes useless.
Sounds like the league is already onto that plan and has shut it down lol

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
5 million isn't bad at all for him, what makes this good or bad is the amount of term tied to it. He's worth more than 5 million for next season but I'm not sure how long he'll play at his current level. If he's still available tomorrow I hope the Canucks jump in

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Pierre lebrun says ita more around 4.5 per but it will be at least 5 years
Makes sense, if it was going to be $4 x 6 years, if the term needs to get reduced to appease the league then $4.8 x 5 would be the same. If Brad gets is done for $4.5 with less term thats a pretty good recovery imo.

He was never going to take 3 years. Leafs dont have cap to do it. 4-5 years is what it would take for any team in the league. He is going to be like pb and j with his boy Mo. Excited to see them together.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If you can choose between more years or more AAV, pick more years. This is a retirement deal where there will be LTIR. Make it front loaded and you'll even be able to dump it off easy if you want to.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Great pick up. the good

they get Tanev

I wouldn't mind longer term if the dollars were lower and I wouldn't mind higher dollars if the term was shorter, but if he gets both at his age then it sucks and all Leafs fans can do is hope for him to age very gracefully and still be a healthy, effective player for most of his contract rather than being the next Muzzin.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Weekes deleted this tweet. Wonder if he got fed false info.

5M AAV seems way to high. Friedman said yesterday he was hearing more around 4M AAV.

Reactions: Albz

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
For a guy who blocks shots like nobodys business, Tanev has surprisingly been able to stay relatively healthy the past 4-5 seasons. Dallas will really miss him. Tanev did say that he wants to play in Canada long term so makes sense he's back north of the border.

Reactions: lawrence
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay