Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It's not even the worst contract on the team!

Let's see: Willy led the team in shots (tied with JT), and his line had more than half the shots by forwards (most set up by him), he led the team in takeaways with 3 (no giveaways - Mitch led in that with 4), recorded both a blocked shot and a hit, and was very good on the PK (where he took and won his only faceoff of the night).
At 11.5M he has to put up 100+ pt for the first half of his deal

Generating and looking decent are worthless now

Hes going to be on the Matthews/Marner/Tavares payscale so expectations will be similar to them

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I watched a bit of the first and then tuned in to the third with 6ish to go. I even let my hopes get up a bit when JT scored to tie it. Then Engvall scored and I just laughed. The Giraffe scoring the game winner is about as surprising as Nylander disappearing since his contract.

This team needs to retool so, so badly.

Reactions: authentic

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Everyone knows that, and almost everyone knows that there are ways around it.
If everyone knows it you'd think it would stop being mentioned.
No one has ever given a reasonable explanation on how that could happen.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Shots taken and even take aways are way better stats. You can put your skate on the ice for 1 second and still get a minus or plus.

When Nylander and in one way Tavares is this snakebitten they should not play together.
They are all just stats that don't paint the whole picture of a players performance.
Takeaways, giveaways, hits are all subjective. Even though it can be flawed, plus/minus is at least objective.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Trading Marner isn't the answer. Our offense is dry enough already. We need to find left wingers that actually click with our top players because Bert and Knies are not it. They should be racking up easy numbers in this top 6 but for whatever reasons they are not. Bunting would be a huge upgrade right now. Our left wingers blow.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I think firing Keefe is the biggest deadline deal to be made

That was the biggest offseason deal to be made and they blew it. The biggest deadline deal should have been Nylander and they blew it. These aren't hindsight, I've been saying both for a long time. And before people get up in arms, I have nothing against either Keefe or Nylander. Keefe is in the unenviable position of being the easiest major change to make and it was a no-brainer after the latest playoff disappointment. Nylander (was) in the unenviable position of the only valuable asset they had control over.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think Leafs management has the you know what to make that kind of trade.
And they may already have the goalie in Woll.

Right now they have bigger needs and they'll give Marner another chance at playoff run. If he fails again, then it probably would be best for them to part ways.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
And if you're honest with yourself, you're telling me that you think the Leafs are going to trade Bertuzzi and Domi for first round picks? It's not going to happen. If they want to start a process of reconstructing the roster, they will mostly sit tight at the deadline and ride things out with this group, and then let the UFAs walk in July. Again, for better or worse, I don't think they will even take that approach. I think this management group probably (and rightfully) feels a ton of pressure to win now, so they will try to add where they can without removing anything significant from the current roster.
The reason Tre is not going to trade Domi and Bert for first round pick is because nobody would even consider trading those picks for them

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
And they may already have the goalie in Woll.

Right now they have bigger needs and they'll give Marner another chance at playoff run. If he fails again, then it probably would be best for them to part ways.
I think they do have it in Woll. I don't think goaltending will be a go-forward issue for this team. It will just be a matter of adding to the defense.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Bad game, but I don't see us losing a playoff spot.

At the same time, if we remain in wild-card spot, It's Bos or Nyr, if we move up, Florida? I don't like our chances vs any of them
Pretty sad for sure. We are no match for any of those teams

Reactions: Arzak and ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You have meeting and tell him that it’s not working and they’d like to move him. Mutually they could agree on a few places they’d like to explore.

Of course, if he refused there‘s not much they can do, but it would be a very difficult time in Toronto next year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And if you're honest with yourself, you're telling me that you think the Leafs are going to trade Bertuzzi and Domi for first round picks? It's not going to happen. If they want to start a process of reconstructing the roster, they will mostly sit tight at the deadline and ride things out with this group, and then let the UFAs walk in July. Again, for better or worse, I don't think they will even take that approach. I think this management group probably (and rightfully) feels a ton of pressure to win now, so they will try to add where they can without removing anything significant from the current roster.
I'm usually more interested in discussing what should be done, not trying to read the minds of the cupcakes running this organization. But either way, do you really think any team would be willing to give up a 1st for Domi, or Bertuzzi? I don't think so myself but if you're right and rental prices really are that high, then we should sell like crazy!

So when do you figure we're talking over 1st in the Atlantic, or have you given up that dream for this season?

he's not the GM mate
Here's an equally relevant fact - blueberries are blue. Thanks for you input though.

Reactions: rumman and Racer88

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You have meeting and tell him that it’s not working and they’d like to move him. Mutually they could agree on a few places they’d like to explore.

Of course, if he refused there‘s not much they can do, but it would be a very difficult time in Toronto next year.
Why would it be a difficult time next year?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Really not sure what this team is. We have so many holes

Good news is Sammy looks to be getting on track

But never feels like a cohesive team. Never seems to be on the same page.

Not sure what the solution is anymore.
We know exactly what this team is.
Suspect goaltending, crappy defence, 4 highly skilled players that suck up way to much of the cash and only show up when they feel like it (making bank) is what’s most important to them and a bunch of scrubs to fill the roster spots.
They have been this for 7 years now and nothing will change unless Shanny , Tre and Keefe are fired

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He agrees to waive, it's not the least bit complicated.

I doubt he would refuse. People rarely want to stay where they're not wanted, and I especially doubt someone who seems to lack mental toughness the way Marner does would be that rare exception.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Bad game, but I don't see us losing a playoff spot.

At the same time, if we remain in wild-card spot, It's Bos or Nyr, if we move up, Florida? I don't like our chances vs any of them
Carolina is a possibility.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
How can our home record be so bad?

14-11 on the road is actually good and in line with other top teams (Bos 15-11, VAN 15-10, NYR 15-12, CAR 13-12, COL 12-13, DAL 14-9)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We were a match for Boston in 2019 and 2018. If we are not a match 5 years later, it would show just how bad a GM Dubas was and how good Sweeney is.
Not sure that's fair, it might be that our core just doesn't have the right stuff. Then the mistake was betting on the core but 99.9% of GM's would have done the same.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'm usually more interested in discussing what should be done, not trying to read the minds of the cupcakes running this organization. But either way, do you really think any team would be willing to give up a 1st for Domi, or Bertuzzi? I don't think so myself but if you're right and rental prices really are that high, then we should sell like crazy!

So when do you figure we're talking over 1st in the Atlantic, or have you given up that dream for this season?
You guys are obsessed with the first place thing. Turns out, barring the unexpected the rest of the season, I was wrong. I guess that never happens here?

As for Domi and Bertuzzi, I don't think any team would give a first round pick for Domi. I suspect they could get one for Bertuzzi because there are teams out there that would look past his numbers this season, but I think it's all irrelevant because I just don't see Treliving doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad