Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Refs didn't lose the Leafs that game. It was a hard fought, close game.

Did the refs get duped on that first high stick? Yes. Then Kerfoot made it much harder on the team.

Is reffing consistency a major problem game to game? I'd say yes. Some games they call the rules, some games they throw the rulebook out. As a fan, it's annoying to watch.....but it affects all teams.

But is that why the Leafs lost? No. They had plenty of chances, plenty of good play. Tampa did as well.

Good game, sad outcome.

Last edited:

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Have to have as few peop;le as possible betting on the Leafs for game seven. All going according to p;lan.

We win game seven quite handily btw.
Each Leaf player left everything he had on the ice - better team than Tampa, good enough to win. Then the refs stepped in.

These games are fixed. Seriously. Trust your eyes.
All to guide us to a fixed result in game 7, a win.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Refs didn't lose the Leafs that game. It was a hard fought, close game.

Did the refs get duped on that first high stick? Yes. Then Kerfoot made it much harder on the team.

Is reffing consistency a major problem game to game? I'd say yes. Some games they call the rules, some games they throw the rulebook out. As a fan, it's annoying to watch.

But is that why the Leafs lost? No. They had plenty of chances, plenty of good play. Tampa did as well.

Good game, sad outcome.
Yeah, sucks to go down 5 on 3 like that but it's clearly a high stick by Kerfoot, they have to call that. Reffing was not the reason we lost that game.

Lightning having been playing up the high stick all series though, heads snapping back every time a stick comes anywhere close. Annoying as f***, it would be nice to see the refs call an embellishment on one of them.

Reactions: fahad203

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Have to have as few peop;le as possible betting on the Leafs for game seven. All going according to p;lan.

We win game seven quite handily btw.

All to guide us to a fixed result in game 7, a win.
I've heard of NBA games being fixed, but not NHL.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I want to be positive, but I don't know how anyone can honestly feel confident about this team on Saturday. This team just finds ways to lose and no one should trust them until they win a series clinching game.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I feel cheated, robbed, upset, defeated, but most of all I feel proud of this team.

They went into an elimination game and were the better team. They deserved to win that game. They came out in the 3rd period and for the first 5 mins gave up absolutely nothing. We would have cruised to a victory if it were not for the officiating. I still cannot believe this officiating crew gave up an almost 2 minute 5on3 PP in a 3rd period of an elimination game. Truly unheard of. No one on the Leafs will publicly say that the officiating cost them the game, but that is just fact.

The boys followed it up with being the better team in OT, but yet again fall on the short end of the contest. It's really getting old at this point.

But I am genuinely proud of that effort, and I'll go as far as saying I would still feel this way if we lose game 7 and give that same effort. We clearly didn't back down to the challenge despite the overwhelming statistical evidence to suggest we would.

I didn't feel overly confident about game 6 to begin with, but I do have confidence in this group to change the narrative on Saturday. And so should the boys in that room. They really should feel good about themselves. Going toe to toe with the best team in hockey, and proving to the hockey world who is the better squad.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I want to be positive, but I don't know how anyone can honestly feel confident about this team on Saturday. This team just finds ways to lose and no one should trust them until they win a series clinching game.

I do not get the same vibes I did for last year's game #7 where I turned it off after Gallagher's goal. There will be 21K Leafs fans in the building on Saturday night which will be huge. If that does not get the boys' blood pumping, I don't know what will.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
McDavid currently leads the NHL playoffs in points.
That's nice and all but I was referring to the team actually going deep or winning a few rounds. In terms of that McDavid hasn't really been any better.

Bruins had home ice. We were up 3-2 going into game 6 at home but couldn't close it out then got spanked in Boston.

Last year we technically had home ice but due to covid restrictions we only had 500 fans in the building..

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He’s has two of those in the playoffs that have directly resulted in a goal 5 seconds later.

No idea what he was thinking there with so much open ice ahead.

That drop pass was brutal but I am not sure it should be all on Kerfoot if it was a set play and Brodie crossed up Kerfoot by skating away.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'm thinking of putting some money on Tampa. I never ever win bets so I will be doing my part lol

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Ill come on here if I choose to okay is that okay with you? and if I choose not to be a fan anymore it will be because of the leafs and fans also help push me away from the sport. when you are as down about your team as I have gotten to and when I express my frustrations and basically get laughed at by fans who hate us for the sake of hating us.... it pisses me off.

I really just dont give a f*** about this league anymore and I will never spend money on anything to help benefit the NHL. complete joke of a league

I didn't mean it that way. My bad
I meant most fans here are good people. We overreact but not bad people

Out all these, let's not forget 2 of those goals were really bad goals in my opinion

That shortie was bad. Any goalie who ever played should know he only had one shot yet some how that goes in

I really like Jack, very very good guy but very inconsistent. One game he feels like a star one game he looks like he has never played high level

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Didn't like the way we played all night even when we got up 3-2.
We were timid and scared to make mistakes. They were not forechecking or pinching or really driving play in the O Zone.

We were playing like it was an important game tied 1-1 in OT the entire game. That might work if there's 10 mins left and you have a 1 goal lead, but your not gonna win too many series playing like that. If thats the game plan everytime there's an important game I don't think the cup is in it for us.

Great teams learn to play their game through adversity. That was not the game this team plays, if it is than thats the way they need to practice and play every game to be better at it. When we don't have the puck we spend too much time defending. I thought TB was the better team and deserved the win. They had the better shots on net, and while we did have our chances they were mostly blocked or went wide.

Reactions: seventieslord

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
For Naysayers and Trolls,

The 5 on 3 is the "but for" moment. We don't know if the Leafs would have held on and we don't know if Tampa would have scored without it.

What we KNOW is that Tampa DIDNT score in regulation time without the 5 on 3 and two players screening our goalie in the blue paint.

Tavares and Matthews wouldn't answer questions about the referees. Tavares especially looked like he had a thousand yard stare going on after the question was asked.

It is not an excuse to note an alteration in the game as a cause for a different outcome when there was nothing, absolutely NOTHING else in the game that determined the outcome for overtime.

Reactions: Jmo89

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
For Naysayers and Trolls,

The 5 on 3 is the "but for" moment. We don't know if the Leafs would have held on and we don't know if Tampa would have scored without it.

What we KNOW is that Tampa DIDNT score in regulation time without the 5 on 3 and two players screening our goalie in the blue paint.

Tavares and Matthews wouldn't answer questions about the referees. Tavares especially looked like he had a thousand yard stare going on after the question was asked.

It is not an excuse to note an alteration in the game as a cause for a different outcome when there was nothing, absolutely NOTHING else in the game that determined the outcome for overtime.

I think it’s clear Tavares and Leaf’s weren’t happy with the reffing. Just wish they would say something. I get if they do then the ref’s might screw them over in game 7.

Reactions: ITM and themilosh

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
5v5 Hits/60 last playoffs to this playoffs among the regular skaters from both team:

Matthews: 10.25 --> 15.2
Spezza: 9.52 --> 12.61
Engvall: 8.56 --> 9.58
Mikheyev: 8.01 --> 10.99
Muzzin: 7.16 --> 10.13
Holl: 5.61 --> 12.54
Kerfoot: 5.24 --> 5.01
Marner: 4.02 --> 4.83
Nylander: 3.03 --> 0.87
Rielly: 2.8 --> 7.36
Brodie: 2.18 --> 5.46

Reactions: seventieslord

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
The reffing was atrocious however one of my coaches always used to say never leave a game in the refs hands, bad giveaways and goaltending had just as much cause in this loss

Reactions: fahad203

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They choked again. let's not sugarcoat it. it's what they do in these games and that's why their record in them is what it is.

the sequence on the winning goal was this franchise in a nutshell.

kind of at a crossroads here...win Saturday and all this crap goes away...lose, and we're heading down a pretty dark path.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Well it was a great game, so that tells you the boys showed up.

I can't get mad at them when they try their hardest and they did, it just didn't go our way last night, that b.s 5 on 3 changed the entire game.

I hate all drop passes so I'm not the guy to talk about that mistake lol, i hate it on the pp and the defensive zone, there was so much ice, you make that mistake in the defensive zone and just look at what can happen, but anyways.

We played well, it's been a back and fourth series, its our turn next game, home game, game 7, we get the monkey off our back and flip the bird to the curse.

Spezza with another great game and the captain showing up just in time, Tampa better be scared next game, we aren't going to make this easy for them.

The cups coming home.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Dubas/Shanahan need to learn to play the media game. Last year when the Bitch Golden Knights lost a game where they got called for penalties (deservedly cos they're dirty AF), De Boer whined in the media and guess who didn't get penalized and the other team did the next game....

Not saying you have to do it in the media it can be in the background but they have to stand up for their team cos the refs really might've cost the Leafs that game.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Yeah, sucks to go down 5 on 3 like that but it's clearly a high stick by Kerfoot, they have to call that.

They really didn't have to call it. They know how punitive a 5v3 is. Considering how questionable the first call was, they should have used their judgment and not created that situation. Especially considering how much they were letting go all game.

I'd compare it to a soccer game. You have to really earn that second yellow card to make it a red, refs will give some leeway if the first yellow was questionable as they know how drastically it changes the game.

Reactions: ITM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad