Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Our goalie situation is a huge question mark. I've been saying that all along, even when Campbell was piling up the wins - the sample size is just too small with him.

Here's a pool idea:
Rank our goalies in order of who will get the most starts in the playoffs. Andersen is included among the choices and though I hate to say it, so is Hutch.

:popcorn::popcorn:

According to the analytics:

Campbell: 13gms, .922, 139pt pace
Hutchinson: 8gms, .919, 105pt pace
Rittich: 2gms, .911, 82pt pace
Andersen: 23gms, .897, 100pt pace

Personally if Andy is 100% healthy:

Andy, Soupy, Rittich, Hutch.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I believe so. Question is do they make it up Sunday ?
I’m not sure of the schedule. Was the game at The ACC or out west? I imagine they will try to get the game in wherever possible

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m not sure of the schedule. Was the game at The ACC or out west? I imagine they will try to get the game in wherever possible

Games were out west. Personally they should reschedule both games later and give the Canucks a chance to heal. Not fair for Leafs to have to play Sunday and Monday (though both are almost guaranteed wins) vs Canucks and travel to Winnipeg to play the Jets starting Wednesday night.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Games were out west. Personally they should reschedule both games later and give the Canucks a chance to heal. Not fair for Leafs to have to play Sunday and Monday (though both are almost guaranteed wins) vs Canucks and travel to Winnipeg to play the Jets starting Wednesday night.
What a mess.

Reactions: ToneDog

horner

May 22, 2007
Our goalie situation is a huge question mark. I've been saying that all along, even when Campbell was piling up the wins - the sample size is just too small with him.

Here's a pool idea:
Rank our goalies in order of who will get the most starts in the playoffs. Andersen is included among the choices and though I hate to say it, so is Hutch.

:popcorn::popcorn:

LOL. Good that we can laugh I guess. Pretty depressing that this is so accruate though.

Saying our PP is in a bit of a funk is like saying Thornton is a bit slower then Mikheyev.

Other then our PP and our goaltending, this team just rocks. Those are two huge issues though and unfortunately, as good as this team is in all other aspects, those issues are enough to make even getting past the 1st round something that it's hard to have a ton of confidence in at this point in time.

Power play
When we were scoring alot of goals there seemed to be alot of movement .
Players not being stationary .
Forwards and d moving around

We are very predictable.

Reactions: Gallagbi

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think you can understand the context of one game versus a years worth of "soft" goals. Campbell was bad and everybody understands he wasn't good last night. If he had many of these games in a row or to finish the season, then this may have some merit.

People are/were understandably pretty fed up with Andersens performance this season and it doesn't take any sort of bias goggle to see he deserved a lot of the criticism.
yup it was just one bad game if you ignore his game before last night and his game before that as well

and if we hold Campbell to the same standards as Andy then every goal he gives up is soft just like the ones Andy lets in . lol

Reactions: egd27

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
yup it was just one bad game if you ignore his game before last night and his game before that as well

and if we hold Campbell to the same standards as Andy then every goal he gives up is soft just like the ones Andy lets in . lol

A whole 3 games? Woof. Time to trade for a goaltender. Until Campbell is a sub .900 average goaltender over a stretch of easy games, we can talk about comparing and making sure goaltenders are on the same playing field.

The same people that can't seem to understand that Andersen was struggling for a long long time are desperate for Campbell to fail and holding on to anything to make the comparison... it's bizarre.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
A whole 3 games? Woof. Time to trade for a goaltender. Until Campbell is a sub .900 average goaltender over a stretch of easy games, we can talk about comparing and making sure goaltenders are on the same playing field.

The same people that can't seem to understand that Andersen was struggling for a long long time are desperate for Campbell to fail and holding on to anything to make the comparison... it's bizarre.

Sure sounds like you're endorsing Campbell to take the net for playoffs.

Is that fair to say?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sure sounds like you're endorsing Campbell to take the net for playoffs.

Is that fair to say?

He can't possibly do any worse and he's earned the net for the playoffs.

But if Andersen is healthy and manages to steal the net back in some way, then I'm all for it.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He can't possibly do any worse and he's earned the net for the playoffs.

But if Andersen is healthy and manages to steal the net back in some way, then I'm all for it.

Hmm, well it'll definitely be interesting going forward.

Unlike internet commentators, Dubas and Keefe aren't going to able to sit on the fence and be wishy washy about which goalie to go with.

They're going to have a tough choice to make and live with the consequences.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I couldn't give a damn if Andy ever starts another game for us , it just would be nice if we hold all the players to the same standards.

and no one's hoping Campbell fails but making excuses for his play won't help us make a deep playoff run

it's also funny how history always repeats itself on this forum , it wasn't so long ago people were endlessly crapping on Riems and fluffing Burnier , hopefully this turns out better for the team

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I'm sorry, this may be a hot take but taking a timeout 8 minutes into a game when you have a 1-0 lead has got to be the dumbest f***ing thing I've seen from a coach this year. I love Sheldon, and I think he is a great coach. But what exactly does Molhotra need to tell the boys there? Like I recognize they wanted to give the big boys a rest to get them out there for the 5v3, but man If these f***ing guys can't play 2 minutes of PP straight that's f***ing insane. Against 3 skaters no less...... Every other team ice's their top guys for 1.5 mins anyway. I'm not even sure Molhotra needs a white board at this point. Could have been just as effective drawing on a coloring book for 30 seconds. I knew the second they took that timeout that they weren't going to score. Not exactly the most confidence inspiring move from a coach to make on a struggling PP. It's 5v3 for f*** sakes. It's self explanatory man. Molhotra: Career role player, very effective PK'er drawing down plays for Mitch: Offensively gifted forward, to look at how to generate offense on a PP has got to be the most asinine thing to watch as a fan. Sometimes you got to just let your skilled guys work, and those times are definitely on a 5v3. What the f*** do you need to coach on a 5v3.....:help:

Game was pretty well over by the time that PP was over.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
What I find odd , is the people who were piling on Andersen a few weeks ago for letting in "soft" goals are not on here saying the same thing about Campbells performance last night.
I love Jack, but his sub-par 10 minutes of play was the reason we lost the game (for the most part).

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I'm sorry, this may be a hot take but taking a timeout 8 minutes into a game when you have a 1-0 lead has got to be the dumbest f***ing thing I've seen from a coach this year. I love Sheldon, and I think he is a great coach. But what exactly does Molhotra need to tell the boys there? Like I recognize they wanted to give the big boys a rest to get them out there for the 5v3, but man If these f***ing guys can't play 2 minutes of PP straight that's f***ing insane. Against 3 skaters no less...... Every other team ice's their top guys for 1.5 mins anyway. I'm not even sure Molhotra needs a white board at this point. Could have been just as effective drawing on a coloring book for 30 seconds. I knew the second they took that timeout that they weren't going to score. Not exactly the most confidence inspiring move from a coach to make on a struggling PP. It's 5v3 for f*** sakes. It's self explanatory man. Molhotra: Career role player, very effective PK'er drawing down plays for Mitch: Offensively gifted forward, to look at how to generate offense on a PP has got to be the most asinine thing to watch as a fan. Sometimes you got to just let your skilled guys work, and those times are definitely on a 5v3. What the f*** do you need to coach on a 5v3.....:help:

Game was pretty well over by the time that PP was over.

I don't disagree that logistically in a game, taking a timeout there is a bad idea.

But right now, the highest priority in the season for the Leafs is sorting out the power play, so it makes sense to have focussed discussion on those moments and take the time to run through things and focus the team on it, when you have the opportunity to do so.

Yes you do need to coach a power play, even a 5v3. You do need a combined strategy.

Yes, 1 in the last 40 opportunities is insanely bad.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
"GET YOUR $$$$$$ FOR NOTHING AND UR CHICKS FOR FREE" ...

That is 3 games in a row of 'we don't give a sh*t play now' ...

This is we are out in round #1 play again ... very disturbing trends

Muzzy, Holl and Mich take an extended vacation for 2 weeks we don't need you to go through motions leading 'we don't givre a sh*t club' .. Keefer bring up Lily and Sandin next game and insert them into lineup ASAP .. this is message sending time .. this is a leadership problem .. I never expected it from Muzy but that was worst of 3 games in a row ... if you are gassed fine then let Keefer know you are gassed but this team looks to you to set da example and your FFFFFFFFFDDDDDDDDDDD BS play and fight right now is pure garbage .. blow someone into yesterday and do some FFFFDDDDD damage with a fight ...

Mitch that was a complete embarrassment on you and team needs some leadership from you .. take da FFFFFFFDDDDDD hit for f*ck sakes .. scared sh*tless play .. tell da people u were scared to get blasted and u should have taken puck into wall and prevented goal .. small and slow and freakin guy was faster than you and u knew it and u got scared and tried to avoid contact ... that is not leadership ... it smells like a guy who got his $$$ and checked out ... u know I would take A from you as soon as we got to room ... and I would tell Paul to pick up ur sh*t as u r taking a 2 week hiatus from team .. yeahh it is Hunter time .. p*ssy hockey

This was not about losing Matty and Willy as they don't move da needle on leadership on kind needed to solve this issue ..

Sacking Soupy I hope was a mercy pull as nothing a guy can do on breakaway, da 2 on 1 again you stop da pass and let shooter face tender u never open up tender to cross ice pass so he has to move fast and take an unobstructed shot from other teams TOP sniper from kill zone (OMG so bad defense) and da 2 screen shot from point either hits u or it doesn't Soup was in good position as he did not see anything between our p*ssy shot blocking screen PK guy and other team perfect screen ... all those goals are just P*SS POOR DEFENSE ..

Absolute disgusting team effort except Zack Dermy Bogo and JT who at least tried .. good day folks ... da truth hurts

Reactions: LeafsRus

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think you can understand the context of one game versus a years worth of "soft" goals. Campbell was bad and everybody understands he wasn't good last night. If he had many of these games in a row or to finish the season, then this may have some merit.

People are/were understandably pretty fed up with Andersens performance this season and it doesn't take any sort of bias goggle to see he deserved a lot of the criticism.

I understand that the narrative amongst some Leaf fans is Anderson has been a horrid goalie for a year. Simply not true. OBTW if you watch Campbell in LA he let in horrific goals there too but because many Leaf fans are insular that think only Andy lets in bad goals.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It all comes down to the core now when playoffs hit. Stop fooling with the blame game.
We addressed grit, goaltending, depth, reworked support D, coach, assistants, etc.
We don’t have any less support/etc. Than Chicago/Pittsburgh/St. Louis when they won.

Do we have the right core.
Which is Matthews/Marner/JT/Nylander and Rielly. Or does it need to change?
This team will make the playoffs.
What does the core grind and dig once we get there.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I don't disagree that logistically in a game, taking a timeout there is a bad idea.

But right now, the highest priority in the season for the Leafs is sorting out the power play, so it makes sense to have focussed discussion on those moments and take the time to run through things and focus the team on it, when you have the opportunity to do so.

Yes you do need to coach a power play, even a 5v3. You do need a combined strategy.

Yes, 1 in the last 40 opportunities is insanely bad.
I don't man, These guys have grown up playing these situations their whole lives. I can guarantee you they didn't listen to a word he was saying. 5v3 is easy for beer leaguers lol. There is a reason why you never see teams actually practice 5v3 scenarios in their practices. I honestly think the timeout had an adverse effect. It drew a huge spotlight on a struggling PP that has over thought every move for over a month now. There undoubtingly would have been some nervous anticipation that built up in the 30+ seconds that didn't need to happen in my mind. Not to mention, it puts an added pressure on the players not to waste that timeout by not scoring. I just don't get it. There is no way I will ever believe that group was more likely to score after that T/O. All we did was add more of a stake and increase their anxiety on the PP. which is exactly what the product looked like thereafter

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I understand that the narrative amongst some Leaf fans is Anderson has been a horrid goalie for a year. Simply not true. OBTW if you watch Campbell in LA he let in horrific goals there too but because many Leaf fans are insular that think only Andy lets in bad goals.

Statistics are a pretty strong narrative.

You are free to believe Andersen has been great while Campbell hasn't or will not be.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It’s because Andersen did it for years in important games. It’s not surprising.

But he didn't, the fact you think that reflects on your bias. In every playoff series except for one he has more quality starts than the team needed to win the series...

No goalie is perfect.

Haters gotta hate I guess.

Reactions: egd27

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
For the salaries our star players get, this team is utter shit too many times !!! Granted, Matthews and Nylander weren't playing last night, but come on, we need more from Tavares and Marner at their HIGH SALARIES !!!

This power play drought is totally unacceptable from these players too. Coaching can only do so much, it's time that the play on the ice matches the high numbers on their paycheques !!!

5 on 3 and NO RESULTS !!! That lost the game right there !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad