Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Leafs recalled Liljegren and Sandin to the taxi squad. They won't play them obviously because our defence should play every game for some reason, but at least they are up.
What’s the point then?? Practice. I’d rather they play 1st pairing together on the AHL team, being fed PP and PK time as well, developing these two into good Offensive AND defensive players is going to be huge, I’m not at all sold on Justin Holl, and I hope Liljegren is his replacement. Still a joke that this team can’t find a way to fit these two guys + Robertson(who hasn’t started playing much till now) in, whilst simmonds, Thornton, holl, dermott get every single game. We know what those forwards can do, not much btw so why not play Robertson to spark something, and giving holl, dermott and bogo nights off would allow for them to be fresh when they do play

Reactions: stickty111

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I mean hes clearly a better playmaker and Matthews is the better goal scorer. Both are good defensively but Marner is probably better in that regard.

I don't know if that's true. Marners defensive numbers decrease quite a bit when he's not with Matthews from things I've seen/read and people use him being on the PK as him being a better defender but our PK is ranked in the bottom 5 so I don't think that's a good argument.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Past few games I have noticed opponents putting lots of pressure on Leafs players. This really disrupts the Leafs game flow.
Seems like an easy way to beat the Leafs.
Can’t even gain proper o-zone puck control.
PP is same. Put pressure on pick carrier and boom disrupted.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Past few games I have noticed opponents putting lots of pressure on Leafs players. This really disrupts the Leafs game flow.

Even at the start of the 5 on 3 they had trouble entering the zone. How can 5 guys have trouble getting past one forechecker?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Canucks fans look to have lied about Malhotra to us. He's making the wrong adjustment when he does make them. This is when Keefe needs to act like the boss and take control.

I noticed the last 2 teams that played us use a bumper behind the icing line on their PP and then get our forwards moving back towards our goal, which leaves our opponents D open, it breaks down our box, leaves our checking forwards in a no mans land, opens up the slot and the point. It's also a bit disorentating for the goalie to be looking backwards then have to snap his head around to find where the shot/play is coming from.

The back of the net was called Gretzkys office for a reason - it was highly effective place for him to hide and create scoring chances, Marner should take advantage of the time and space behind the net/icing line to draw defenders to him. Another thing we are far too static and with the man advantage and we typically don't use that man advantage to effectively help with 50/50 board battles.

Reactions: The Cobra

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I expect he'll get a suspension for that.

No excuse for the axe chop, that is a PIM all day long. he didn't get a match PIM, so in the refs opinion Hyman didn't have intent to injure. I would hope that is all there is from a NHL supplimentary discipline perspective.

I have issue with the reffing, I understand refs allow players to "fight' for positioning in front of the net but Hyman was mugged by two defenders, if the ref had called a PIM at that point, Hymans PIM would have never happened. If he had called offsetting PIM's for the slash to Hymans calf, I would have less issue but at the end of the day, corrupt game fixing reffing, decided that they wanted Winnipeg to win, cant let Toronto have a fair chance to come back, gotta call the guy who was getting mugged because Gary wants a close race to the top spot in each division .... Game Management 101.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cobra

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough

The book has been out since the Zamboni game.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
No excuse for the axe chop, that is a PIM all day long. he didn't get a match PIM, so in the refs opinion Hyman didn't have intent to injure. I would hope that is all there is from a discipline perspective.

I have issue with the reffing, I understand refs allow players to "fight' for positioning in front of the net but Hyman was mugged by two defenders, if the ref had called a PIM at that point, Hymans PIM would have never happened. If he had called offsetting PIM's for the slash to Hymans calf, I would have less issue but at the end of the day, corrupt game fixing reffing, decided that they wanted Winnipeg to win, cant let Toronto have a fair chance to come back, gotta call the guy who was getting mugged because Gary wants a close race to the top spot in each division .... Game Management 101.

Wait till we see how he game manages the winner from the north when it comes time to playing the winners of the other divisions closer to Gary's home and friends.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Wait till we see how he game manages the winner from the north when it comes time to playing the winners of the other divisions closer to Gary's home and friends.

Yep, can't stand that little troll .. he is so greasy... so ..soo... uhhhh... trolly... such a putz.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

That should work in the advantage of the Leafs, when you play man to man like that, individual talent should rise to the top. I would take, AM, MM, JT and WN one on one with any Jet player all day any day. Won't always win that 50/50 but I'd be willing to bet we would win more 50/50 than we lose.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That should work in the advantage of the Leafs, when you play man to man like that, individual talent should rise to the top. I would take, AM, MM, JT and WN one on one with any Jet player all day any day. Won't always win that 50/50 but I'd be willing to bet we would win more 50/50 than we lose.

That's homer talk, though, to be fair. Everybody overrates their own players and underrates players on other teams. How is Ehlers worse than Will? I think they are about equal. Schiefele is probably better than JT at this point in time.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
They are 3-1 without him this year. They're allowed to lose a game without their best player once in a while.
3-1 without Matthews, 0-1 without him AND Nylander.

Anyone who hasn’t missed Nylander out there needs to buy a clue. Unless they’re totally cool with Mikheyev and Thornton in the top 6 again.

Reactions: Rocker13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad