Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Statistics are a pretty strong narrative.

You are free to believe Andersen has been great while Campbell hasn't or will not be.

I don't think he's been great at all. Hs stats are horrid. His team played like shit in front of him. Campbell was on an heater that broke NHL records, no goalie in the history of the game did what he did. People compare Campbells heater to Andersens injured crappy stats and draw conclusions. They ignore the never been done before thing and the injury and then say Andersen sucks. Awesome fan logic.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think he's been great at all. Hs stats are horrid. His team played like shit in front of him. Campbell was on an heater that broke NHL records, no goalie in the history of the game did what he did. People compare Campbells heater to Andersens injured crappy stats and draw conclusions. They ignore the never been done before thing and the injury and then say Andersen sucks. Awesome fan logic.

The irony of the bolded is mind blowing.

The team gave Andersen some of his easiest games he's ever played this year defensively in terms of high danger shots and total shots. No team is perfect defensively either. Shots were just going in. You can't just blame a defensive group for giving up soft shots that still go in all the time. That's the fan logic you seem to be fed up with. It wasn't just a game or handful of games, it was a huge regression over a pretty good amount of time.

Comparing is kind of pointless anyway. Campbell is playing a whole lot better now and that's what matters. We'll see how he does moving forward and I am sure we'll be comparing them a lot.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Games were out west. Personally they should reschedule both games later and give the Canucks a chance to heal. Not fair for Leafs to have to play Sunday and Monday (though both are almost guaranteed wins) vs Canucks and travel to Winnipeg to play the Jets starting Wednesday night.

There is never a guarantee with this team. Not even an almost guaranteed.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Could have used that time out later in the game when they were trying to tie the game. 2nd time he’s done that before a 5-3 PP. I have no idea what they were drawing up, but I can guarantee it didn’t happen on the ice.

I'm fed up with Malhotra and whatever the hell he thinks he's doing on the PP. Wasted another timeout on a 5 on 3 and we couldn't even get set up.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
But he didn't, the fact you think that reflects on your bias. In every playoff series except for one he has more quality starts than the team needed to win the series...

No goalie is perfect.

Haters gotta hate I guess.

We win series 5v5, and he’s been fine with that. But he’s always been the worse goalie in the series on the PK.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Frustrating game from what I saw. Wasn't expecting a win with Matty and Nylander our, but you need Marner and Tavares to step up. Seems like JT did and Marner hurt us on the night.

PP is a disaster, need some time to work on it, hoping those Vancouver games get cancelled.

Thought Rielly was fine in the night and you can't say that much lately. You still want him to be a lot better than that, especially on the PP

Not bad with FOUR regulares out, Mathews, Willie, Nick, and Freddy

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'm fed up with Malhotra and whatever the hell he thinks he's doing on the PP. Wasted another timeout on a 5 on 3 and we couldn't even get set up.
Isn't them not getting setup an indication that it's on the players and not his plan?

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
The same thing that happened last season is happening again. The Leafs essentially lost this game because of their terrible powerplay. They started the game with jump, completely shat the bed during the 5 on 3 and then lost all momentum.

How is it that the coaches aren't trying something different? You're facing the same teams over and over again - they know what you're trying to do.

Reactions: LeafsRus

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't man, These guys have grown up playing these situations their whole lives. I can guarantee you they didn't listen to a word he was saying. 5v3 is easy for beer leaguers lol. There is a reason why you never see teams actually practice 5v3 scenarios in their practices. I honestly think the timeout had an adverse effect. It drew a huge spotlight on a struggling PP that has over thought every move for over a month now. There undoubtingly would have been some nervous anticipation that built up in the 30+ seconds that didn't need to happen in my mind. Not to mention, it puts an added pressure on the players not to waste that timeout by not scoring. I just don't get it. There is no way I will ever believe that group was more likely to score after that T/O. All we did was add more of a stake and increase their anxiety on the PP. which is exactly what the product looked like thereafter
Back in da day it used to be when a PP was not working coaches used to say .. ok boys just do what you want in da moment based on ur hockey IQ and it worked .. you can't coach creativity or goals for .. it has been that way for history of hockey and all u guys who think ur smarter than hockey history aka analytics r just foolin urselves .. Keefer needs to say ok boys run PP whoever you want in da moment and it will solve this issue there is too much skill creativity and goal scoring here

Reactions: LeafsRus

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I don't disagree that logistically in a game, taking a timeout there is a bad idea.

But right now, the highest priority in the season for the Leafs is sorting out the power play, so it makes sense to have focussed discussion on those moments and take the time to run through things and focus the team on it, when you have the opportunity to do so.

Yes you do need to coach a power play, even a 5v3. You do need a combined strategy.

Yes, 1 in the last 40 opportunities is insanely bad.

Fire Manny and sort it out in practice. Makes no sense to call a time out there. It worked once and now Keefe thinks it's a genius move to do every other game.

Reactions: KingPapi

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We win series 5v5, and he’s been fine with that. But he’s always been the worse goalie in the series on the PK.

Oh for FFS, and we are on the PK what 6 minutes a game? A goalie gets scored on during a PK, WOW that is a stunning statement? No goalie has ever been scored on... ever... except Andersen. Maybe our team could score a goal or two to help win a game. When your goalie has more quality starts in a series than bad starts, that tells you your goalie is doing his job.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The irony of the bolded is mind blowing.

The team gave Andersen some of his easiest games he's ever played this year defensively in terms of high danger shots and total shots. No team is perfect defensively either. Shots were just going in. You can't just blame a defensive group for giving up soft shots that still go in all the time. That's the fan logic you seem to be fed up with. It wasn't just a game or handful of games, it was a huge regression over a pretty good amount of time.

Comparing is kind of pointless anyway. Campbell is playing a whole lot better now and that's what matters. We'll see how he does moving forward and I am sure we'll be comparing them a lot.

You know what you are right every goalie but Andersen stops cross crease passes, they always stop tips and they always stop breakaways and you know what every goalie in the league does it with a groin injury just like Andersen... great fan logic there sparky.

Watch Campbells last 4 games or so, he was letting goals exactly like Andersen did before Andy went on the IR.

Listen it comes down to this if fans want to scapegoat an injured player to make them feel smart, fill yer boots but benching Andersen, Hutchinson, Campbell is not going to fix the issue with our poor team play in our own end. Until that happens we are a 1st or 2nd round playoff team at best.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What I find odd , is the people who were piling on Andersen a few weeks ago for letting in "soft" goals are not on here saying the same thing about Campbells performance last night.

Well it's also an issue of sample size. All players will have subpar AnD even bad games, especially goalies. Campbell hasn't played well on his last few starts and deserves critiques. Andersen's sample of bad games this season is considerably larger - if he had a win streak similar to Campbell's earlier than many of his critics would have been quiter

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It’s going to take more than 3 subpar games for me before I turn on Campbell after he just went 11 and 0 previously. Perhaps if he shits the bed in 3 straight do or die elimination games I’ll start viewing him in the same light as Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad