Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Watch the game from start to finish. We played well. Gotta say that was just a terrible give away. I don’t know what he was thinking.

Look we took 5 out of a possible 6 points and saved our best game for the Bruins. The D while still not amazing is okay, certainly not a SC contender. Hopefully we get Liljegren back soon and it calms things down on the right side.

For the love of god stop with the reeves experiment. He is useless. Double shifting Jarnkrok (however you spell his name) is not the answer!

Reactions: Once and Metroid

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
The Leafs had some pushback tonight. It was a good game.

I especially liked Rielly getting under Pasternak's skin with less than a minute left. Pasta complained to the refs and then came off the ice. Then the Leafs scored.

This time it was the Leafs with sime extracurriculars and the Bruins losing their composure.

I liked that.

Rielly's dash 3 wasn't good but he's been great this year so he gets a pass

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Watch the game from start to finish. We played well. Gotta say that was just a terrible give away. I don’t know what he was thinking.

Look we took 5 out of a possible 6 points and saved our best game for the Bruins. The D while still not amazing is okay, certainly not a SC contender. Hopefully we get Liljegren back soon and it calms things down on the right side.

For the love of god stop with the reeves experiment. He is useless. Double shifting Jarnkrok (however you spell his name) is not the answer!
Actually we took 5 out of 9 points. Barely over .500.

Reactions: rumman

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It’s not necessarily a direct line one can draw to say that if the Leafs had Vasilevsky they’d have won by this point (not that I think Zybalto is saying that) but it shouldn’t be considered controversial imo to say the biggest factor in Tampa winning those back or back cups was their all world goaltender.
Tampa had historical playoff runs from their superstars (point, hedman, and Kuch)

Incredible depth who played shutdown role well (coleman, gourde, goodrow, colton)

Had a bunch of other high level players (cirelli, stamkos for one of the runs, Mcdonaugh, Cernak, Palat, Killorn)

They were way deeper than the leafs at every position basically.

Leafs could not afford Vasilvsky at 9.5M either which began from the 2021 cup

Vasilevsky was their 3rd best player probably across the 3 years (2020 - 2022)

1. Kuch
2. Hedman
3. Vas

The bolts were a super team whose superstars were playing at insanley high level. Just no comparison for any of the dubas leaf teams and them

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He is saying they took 5 out of 6 points this week. Which they did. But as I type this, I realise what your point was. Well done
We got 5 points in those 3 games, and the other teams got 4. This points inflation due to the loser point is misleading. Plus the loser points can either help you or hurt you in division/conference standings, and could cost you home ice if reaching the SCF.

What's the point of what is essentially a one point "win"?

Reactions: rumman and Jojalu

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I still cant get over the overall lack of skill on our backend, but on a positive note, Lagesson and Benoit are growing on me.

9 hits 4 blocks across the 2 with simple and effective play.

Both in the heart of their prime years as well so are candidates for sound depth play when it counts.
Solid if unspectacular bottom 6

Reactions: DraftSchmaft

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The fact that we outshot them means nothing, we were losing the game in regulation, if anything we got lucky to tie the game, with 11 players standing in front of the goal.

In close games, especially with your goalie out, you put everything in the net. It doesn't mean you outplayed anyone.
We outshot them and kept the puck in their zone for most of regulation, apart from actually finishing idk how else we could’ve outplayed them. Teams can be losing whilst playing better. If we got lucky to tie the game, Boston got lucky to be leading the game

Reactions: Arzak

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Good game. We need a Leafs-Bruins playoff series, these games are fantastic.

Besdies McAvoy, Pasta, Marchand, goalie Bruins technically have no skill (DeBrusk may be?); and they still keep winning.

Leafs have 50% of the cap tied up in 4 guys who MUST perform on a given night more than usual compared to other teams in the league.

There must come a time when these 4 guys WAKE THE F UP and say YES WE TOOK ALL THE MONEY AND NOW WE HAVE TO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY TOO

Sep 18, 2009
He is saying they took 5 out of 6 points this week. Which they did. But as I type this, I realise what your point was. Well done
IEVING in the regular season rather than overachieving.

If that's Caufield deal doesn't show you how bad Dubas was...I don't know what will.

A lot of posters seem to be a bit off on what Bert and Max bring to the table. Not fighters, not particularly good on the forecheck, can't pk, terrible defensively. Marner/Matthews will not feel taller or safer. Probably the opposite. If you thought the Bunting show was tiresome for officials, just wait. Matthews/Marner will have an even bigger target on their backs. And Ryan Reaves can look scary from the bench or press box. Won't make a difference.

They do bring much needed scoring, and like Dubas signings, they're one year mercenaries.

The Reaves signing is just brutal.

We need to shore up defense. But there's a lot of time for that.

Bertuzzi-Domi-

We wont be fun to play against but that defense wont scare anyone.

I want to see bone crushing, mind numbing hits……real Old Testament shit…….

I guess that doesn't count?

Besdies McAvoy, Pasta, Marchand, goalie Bruins technically have no skill (DeBrusk may be?); and they still keep winning.

Leafs have 50% of the cap tied up in 4 guys who MUST perform on a given night more than usual compared to other teams in the league.

There must come a time when these 4 guys WAKE THE F UP and say YES WE TOOK ALL THE MONEY AND NOW WE HAVE TO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY TOO
I don't know how you lose to boston all the time

Reactions: Racer88 and Jojalu

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Let’s get things straight not alternative truths

Willy wasn’t guarding his man on the second goal he was just standing in no man’s land. He had no idea what to do or where to go. Willy is still poor defensively despite what your opinion is, just have to watch the games.
In the overtime he knew he screwed up and was about to get hammered and he bailed. Took the easy way out. Just fall to avoid the hit.
Posters who say he is as good as Pasternak are living in a dream world. Willy is worth 9-9.5 at best.
The very simple fact is that it was Knies' man who scored, not Nylander's, like someone claimed.

You would think some people had never skated, let alone played hockey, if they don't see that Willy just lost the outside edge on his left skate.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don’t know why Keefe rode the Big Four into the ground in OT. Kampf was out there to start and then never saw the ice again, then Gregor and Bertuzzi were the only other forwards that saw the ice in OT, Gregor for 32 seconds and Bert for only 7 seconds.

So unnecessary and it bit us in the ass when an exhausted Nylander fell in the NZ and the game was over. I get that Knies and Robertson are rookies and Bertuzzi and Domi don’t have the best defensive acumen but come on. How does Jarnkrok who has an OT goal this year and is responsible defensively not see the ice?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Nylander playing way too much at the end and was gassed.

We have to find a way to get Reeves involved. His line mates should focus on dumping it in his corner for hits or move him on a different line once and awhile for energy. It’s impossible to make hits the way the fourth is playing.

Precisely!

4th line needs to have a defined role. 4th lines have historically been energy lines and we need that where we dump pucks in the corner and lay a body on their D and soften them up.

We need to start doing it now so by the time playoffs come we are ready

Reactions: m1ker

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
We outshot them and kept the puck in their zone for most of regulation, apart from actually finishing idk how else we could’ve outplayed them. Teams can be losing whilst playing better. If we got lucky to tie the game, Boston got lucky to be leading the game

We played well, I'm happy about the performance. I just don't like the shot count argument. We were trailing, trailing team shots more in most games.

If ? We pulled goalie and tied in the last min. Hard to argue the luck element, or should we start the next game without a goalie? We gambled and had a happy ending.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Fire Keefe
Hire Gallant and get some players that do not mind actually hitting or playing the boards tough.

Nylander
Samsonov
McMann
Timmins
2024 1st
2024 6th

to Ducks for:
Gibson
Jones
Leason
Lybushkin
2024 2nd

Then:
2024 2nd (ducks)
2025 6th round
Brodie
Topi
Lagesson
Robertson

To Blues for:

Parayko
Bortuzzo

Knies- Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - JT - Jarnkrock
Max Jones - Domi - Leason
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly -Parayko
Mcabe - Lybushkin/Liljgren
Lagesson/Gio - Bortuzzo

Jones
Woll
What is this obsession with Gibson. He’s awful, one of the most overrated players in the league. His stats are always much much worse than his backups. He also gets injured alot. Moreover, nylander alone gets that ducks package. That trade is a top line winger + 1st + backup goaltender for a “starting” goalie + two 4th liners + a #6. Why the hell would be do that.
Then we trade Robertson, another promising forward for two defencemen. That’s now created a bottom six that will score 1 time every 5 games

Reactions: Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Precisely!

4th line needs to have a defined role. 4th lines have historically been energy lines and we need that where we dump pucks in the corner and lay a body on their D and soften them up.

We need to start doing it now so by the time playoffs come we are ready
Love that Lomberg kid in Florida. I've seldom seen him take a shift off. 5'9" but plays 6'.

• 2020-Oct-09 Signed by Florida Panthers
Why couldn't the previous GM sign this local kid. Nope signed Vesey instead.
  • 2020-Oct-11 Signed by Toronto Maple Leafs
Edit: Pending UFA with current cap hit of $800K. Dump Reaves and sign this guy July 1st Tre.

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The very simple fact is that it was Knies' man who scored, not Nylander's, like someone claimed.

You would think some people had never skated, let alone played hockey, if they don't see that Willy just lost the outside edge on his left skate.
Idk if I’m being a homer but it also felt like Marchand interfered with nylander afterwards to. The initial hit was fine, puck squirts loose to our blue line and both could get up, then Marchand checks nylander again and basically sits on him. Nylander maybe could’ve gotten up and pressured had he not been sat on like that.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Only 4? Is that bad? (I mean the 4 players, not the points btw)
Not necessarily good or bad - I was just correcting and adding context to the post.

In the last five games two players (Mitch and Matty) have four points each, two (Domi and Jarnkrok) have three each, and Willy has two (same as Knies, and JT, and more than Bert).

The team has averaged only 2.4 goals per game, which isn't great, but the suggestion that Willy is suddenly the problem is odd.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nylander was an arse.

Getting a point with that defense was amazing.

Treliving is not doing a great job.
All Tre needs is for Reeves to join Klingberg on long term injury and then he IS doing a great job………….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad