Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Tampa and Vegas missed before winning the Cup. Perhaps missing the playoffs is what this team needs to get over the hump.

This is the year to miss the playoffs IMO if there was one.

We have our 1st this year, that's one year of Tavares off the books; next year too we can try to retool while waiting out Tavares' contract and we will have some clarity on Marner's future too.

I would be pretty pissed of Treliving spent more draft capital this season and leafs lay an egg in the 1st or 2nd round AGAIN

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Give me a break! LOL. Price didn't beat the Leafs, Leafs beat themselves. So delusional!! They had a 3-1 lead on him, they choked. Leafs top players need score also, why are they being paid millions more than our goaltenders. So sick of blaming the goalies when the core players who have failed to show up and score when it matters.

Anyone with half a brain watched Price carry that crap team to the finals over far superior teams. In the end, it took Vasy to stop the Price train even as Price was stonewalling all of Tampas stars too in the big games. 1-0 shutout win for the cup is very Vasy.

Campbell let in some brutal goals the last 3 games of that series, goals Vasy would have eaten up in his sleep. If he makes a key save on even one of them in game 5/6/7 and the Leafs win the series, are the Leafs now heroes? Stop underestimating goaltending (and the psychological affect it can have on the team as well). Mark Stone was a top ten in scoring 2 way beast and had 0 points in 6 games against the Habs. It wasnt cause he "choked", it was because he and his teammates were getting stoned by a Bonifde HOF goalie in his last great stretch of hockey.

Be happy though. The morons in Habs management actually thought that run meant they had a good team and coach but, surprise surprise, they were wrong and they all got canned within the next year. What a bunch of fools. I will never stop loving Price for making the Habs look like clowns that next year.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Besdies McAvoy, Pasta, Marchand, goalie Bruins technically have no skill (DeBrusk may be?); and they still keep winning.

Leafs have 50% of the cap tied up in 4 guys who MUST perform on a given night more than usual compared to other teams in the league.

There must come a time when these 4 guys WAKE THE F UP and say YES WE TOOK ALL THE MONEY AND NOW WE HAVE TO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY TOO
Hate to say it but I firmly believe they're as awake as they're going to get.
We had 6 guys on the perimeter in the last minute. Can't remember who it was but we eventually gain control with space and the only passing options are other guys along the wall. Not a soul anywhere near the slot or in a decent shooting area at all. That's f***ing ridiculous!

Then came that overtime charade. :eek3:

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
The very simple fact is that it was Knies' man who scored, not Nylander's, like someone claimed.

You would think some people had never skated, let alone played hockey, if they don't see that Willy just lost the outside edge on his left skate.
Good example of why people are being too harsh on JT.

Nobody cares what others are doing (I don't remember what or who the 3rd guy was and don't care) because of the circumstance of the play. If somebody didn't get back, just shrug it off. It was such a random mishap.

But JT is under constant watch, so any opportunity to bash him will be warmly welcomed.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The biggest issue last night was not nylanders turnover….. it was the fact he laid on the f***ing ice watching the play go down the other end and the trailer scores the goal. You lazy f***ing pos. Get the f*** up and get back. If he does maybe we win in the SO. That’s loser hockey
As opposed to JT just standing at the opposing blueline watching?

Reactions: hotpaws

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
He waved for his teammates to move up, then had to try to circle back when JT stopped and the D went to the bench. He lost an edge at the worst possible time.

Woll and Rielly overcommitted and JT is too slow to get back.
Yeah, it was a weird OT play that prob never happens again. I'm not reading too much into it. I would have liked to see 88 and 91 hustle back, that is about the only takeaway from that play.

That being said, all three skaters confirmed who we thought they were.

Doesn't take away from the excellent team effort in general.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Marchand came through like a bull dozer and stole one for his team.

If you can stomach that fact, the loss is easy to bear.

Marchand is a rat, but an elite one.

Our boys need to play like that in the playoffs. Tie game, 5 seconds left, doesn't matter, go hunt.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
As opposed to JT just standing at the opposing blueline watching?
It is a skills competition with lots of ice. It is clear JT is hindered due to his lack of speed, whereas Willie and Mitch excel because of their skill and better skating. The good thing for Tavares is that he is better when push comes to shove and you have to battle for space on the ice in the playoffs where there are no skills competitions.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Besdies McAvoy, Pasta, Marchand, goalie Bruins technically have no skill (DeBrusk may be?); and they still keep winning.

Leafs have 50% of the cap tied up in 4 guys who MUST perform on a given night more than usual compared to other teams in the league.

There must come a time when these 4 guys WAKE THE F UP and say YES WE TOOK ALL THE MONEY AND NOW WE HAVE TO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY TOO
Four guys who took all the money are Matty, JT, Mitch, and Mo, right - they're the four highest paid.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Four guys who took all the money are Matty, JT, Mitch, and Mo, right - they're the four highest paid.
Mo could have gotten more based on what Nurse and Jones got. Willie did not sit out 2 months and not take all the money. Sorry, he was just as greedy as Mitch and Matty IMO and to boot he came in out of shape. Thankfully the guy has grown since and he has been forgiven for that season by many.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Marchand came through like a bull dozer and stole one for his team.

If you can stomach that fact, the loss is easy to bear.

Marchand is a rat, but an elite one.

Our boys need to play like that in the playoffs. Tie game, 5 seconds left, doesn't matter, go hunt.
Yeah true. If you look at it like that though, it still goes in the "cross your fingers the clock runs out" category. The back checks people want are more Xbox plausible. If a play like this happens in real life you just have to hope the opponent doesn't finish.

Reactions: wintersej

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Tampa had historical playoff runs from their superstars (point, hedman, and Kuch)

Incredible depth who played shutdown role well (coleman, gourde, goodrow, colton)

Had a bunch of other high level players (cirelli, stamkos for one of the runs, Mcdonaugh, Cernak, Palat, Killorn)

They were way deeper than the leafs at every position basically.

Leafs could not afford Vasilvsky at 9.5M either which began from the 2021 cup

Vasilevsky was their 3rd best player probably across the 3 years (2020 - 2022)

1. Kuch
2. Hedman
3. Vas

The bolts were a super team whose superstars were playing at insanley high level. Just no comparison for any of the dubas leaf teams and them

when the series was on the line and tampa need their player who step up, the guy who did it

1-vasilevskiy
2- hedman
3-point

just watch how many SO vasilevskiy had on decisive game to close a serie, its just amaizing

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
What I wouldn’t give to have a rat like Marchand on the Leafs……..
You wouldn't though once you figured out the leafs are officiated differently The hit Reaves laid last night he's been making for years on other teams. I watched him with the Rangers and with Vegas. It doesn't get called.

Mar 26, 2010
Actually people should be very surprised if we miss.
Do you actually think this D and more importantly the goaltending is enough to compete against teams like Boston, NYR, Carolina, Vegas, Colorado…. in a 7 game series. Honestly.

Reactions: ToneDog

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Tampa had historical playoff runs from their superstars (point, hedman, and Kuch)

Incredible depth who played shutdown role well (coleman, gourde, goodrow, colton)

Had a bunch of other high level players (cirelli, stamkos for one of the runs, Mcdonaugh, Cernak, Palat, Killorn)

They were way deeper than the leafs at every position basically.

Leafs could not afford Vasilvsky at 9.5M either which began from the 2021 cup

Vasilevsky was their 3rd best player probably across the 3 years (2020 - 2022)

1. Kuch
2. Hedman
3. Vas

The bolts were a super team whose superstars were playing at insanley high level. Just no comparison for any of the dubas leaf teams and them

I still think you are underestimating Vasy.

Kuch has maybe the most brutal points in early playoff games to points in elimination games ratio of any player the last few years (the same thing people rip a couple of players for) and I dont think people would see him in the same light if Vasy wasnt continually stealing the big games. (trying to remember math and I think Kucherov has had like 2 goals 6 points in his last 14 playoff elimination games or something). Im not big on hitting him too hard for this as the games tighten up and it becomes a tight-checking affair but I dont see anyone getting on him for it in quite the same way as others.

Hedman has always been a bonafide great number 1 D but was also playing behind one of the best clutch goalies in NHL history. This will help your image. I dont care if you are a 30 minute D, Vasy is out there the whole game.

Like a posted earlier with some additional context,

During Tampas 2 cup runs including playoffs:

With Vasy:

2019-2020: 53-21-3
2020-2021: 47-17-1

Total: 100-38-4

When Vasy not in net:

2019-2020: 8-7-3
2020-2021: 5-7-2

Total: 13-14-5

Heres a fun question to ask.....was Vasy so important to the team that they might have had trouble even making the playoffs without him? The very fact thats even a question shows why he was, by far, the most valuable player on the Bolts IMO.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Mo could have gotten more based on what Nurse and Jones got. Willie did not sit out 2 months and not take all the money. Sorry, he was just as greedy as Mitch and Matty IMO and to boot he came in out of shape. Thankfully the guy has grown since and he has been forgiven for that season by many.
After that first season he's been one of our two or three best players, while fifth in cap.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Boston has a much more balanced cap structure and likely a less divided dressing room as a result.

I keep saying this but it hasn't stuck with most people.

You don't need the best of the best. You need decent. You need top 20. You don't need top 5.

Rolling 3 decent lines with decent defense and a decent goalie is optimal.

Paying a William Nylander 11-12 isn't going to get us closer to the cup. It's gonna perpetuate our failure

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Anyone with half a brain watched Price carry that crap team to the finals over far superior teams. In the end, it took Vasy to stop the Price train even as Price was stonewalling all of Tampas stars too in the big games. 1-0 shutout win for the cup is very Vasy.

Campbell let in some brutal goals the last 3 games of that series, goals Vasy would have eaten up in his sleep. If he makes a key save on even one of them in game 5/6/7 and the Leafs win the series, are the Leafs now heroes? Stop underestimating goaltending (and the psychological affect it can have on the team as well). Mark Stone was a top ten in scoring 2 way beast and had 0 points in 6 games against the Habs. It wasnt cause he "choked", it was because he and his teammates were getting stoned by a Bonifde HOF goalie in his last great stretch of hockey.

Be happy though. The morons in Habs management actually thought that run meant they had a good team and coach but, surprise surprise, they were wrong and they all got canned within the next year. What a bunch of fools. I will never stop loving Price for making the Habs look like clowns that next year.
Leafs are not the Habs though they should be more like the Avalanche who can put anyone in net and still win a series. Blaming Woll is crazy when on the third goal the Bruins player was casual in the crease and the OT goal ............

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You wouldn't though once you figured out the leafs are officiated differently The hit Reaves laid last night he's been making for years on other teams. I watched him with the Rangers and with Vegas. It doesn't get called.
all BS imo, he plays on the edge, which sets off homers like yourself........

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I still think you are underestimating Vasy.

Kuch has maybe the most brutal points in early playoff games to points in elimination games ratio of any player the last few years (the same thing people rip a couple of players for) and I dont think people would see him in the same light if Vasy wasnt continually stealing the big games. (trying to remember math and I think Kucherov has had like 2 goals 6 points in his last 14 playoff elimination games or something). Im not big on hitting him too hard for this as the games tighten up and it becomes a tight-checking affair but I dont see anyone getting on him for it in quite the same way as others.

Hedman has always been a bonafide great number 1 D but was also playing behind one of the best clutch goalies in NHL history. This will help your image. I dont care if you are a 30 minute D, Vasy is out there the whole game.

Like a posted earlier with some additional context,

During Tampas 2 cup runs including playoffs:

With Vasy:

2019-2020: 53-21-3
2020-2021: 47-17-1

Total: 100-38-4

When Vasy not in net:

2019-2020: 8-7-3
2020-2021: 5-7-2

Total: 13-14-5

Heres a fun question to ask.....was Vasy so important to the team that they might have had trouble even making the playoffs without him? The very fact thats even a question shows why he was, by far, the most valuable player on the Bolts IMO.
I don't think the above facts show entirely what your trying to suggest.

The Bolts allocated 9.5M in Vasilevsky and then like 900K (league min) for a nobody backup from 2020-2022 3 finals run.

The backup for tampa was expected to give .500 hockey, which they fell 1 win short of.

Vasilevsky is Matthews/Marner for the Bolts. They paid him as such and worked him as such. He delivered but he didnt do anything alone

Tampa had a super team those 2/3 years.

When guys like Killorn, Palat, cirelli, cernak are afterthoughts you know your team is loaded

Just looking at their playoff series fir 2020 alone we see:

1. R1: CBJ - a team riding hot goaltending and known for defense, not an offensive dangerous team, so Vasilvesky didnt have to steal this series

2. R2: Bruins - President trophy team, very capable on both sides, tampa ran them through and Vasievsky was amazing.

3. R3: Isles - Defensive team with little to no offensive primary threats. Tampa outclassed them top to bottom in 6 and blew them out in games 1 and won 4-1 in game 5. He didn't have to steal this series at all

4. SCF - Stars - Defensive team, that had little to no offensive elite players that year (think Seguin led them with 50 pts in 65 games). Tampa outclassed Dallas hard again. Vasilvesky didn't have to steal anything here either

That is just 2020, the bolts had 1 high offensive series matchup here in R2 where Vasilevksy play you can say stole the series. The other 3 he was the heavy favourite and had a ton of goal supprt

2021 is similar I believe as Habs, Isles in the final two rounds were low scoring underdog teams, can give credit for Panthers R1 for sure as they were a very hot offensive team and then Canes R2 he was great against a strong Canes team

Vasilevsky having a defensive core of:

Hedman, McDonaugh, Sergachev, Cernak, Schenn, Shatternkirk, Bogo, Rutta during that window made his job so much easier

Defensive forward who played structured game and didnt cheat for offense in:

Cirelli, Palat, Gourde, Colton, Goodrow, Paul, Coleman, these guys helped limit chances of the 2nd and 3rd lines of other teams contenders, helping shut them down while L1/PP1 was able to destroy those teams offensively

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
when the series was on the line and tampa need their player who step up, the guy who did it

1-vasilevskiy
2- hedman
3-point

just watch how many SO vasilevskiy had on decisive game to close a serie, its just amaizing
2021 ECF Game 7 isles it was Gourde/Goodrown who stepped up and won that game 1-0

Hedman, Point didnt do anything there. Vasilevsky made saves in a low scoring game but he didnt score the game winning goal.

2022 R1 vs Us, Nick paul scored twice on us taking advantage of bad defensive plays by Rielly and Brodie and poor goaltending by Campbell.

Vasilevsky held it down after but we didnt challange him enough in that game either. We had less than 10 shots in the 3rd I think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad