Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just look at the 2 years Tampa won the cup.

When Vasy not in net:

2019-2020: 8-7-3
2020-2021: 5-7-2

Total: 13-14-5

Coopers greatest coaching strength was telling Vasy he was playing that night IMO. I think he's started every single playoff game in memory too. A true workhorse.
Well, there is that saying, "show me a great goalie and I'll show you a great coach".

Reactions: Zybalto

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s not necessarily a direct line one can draw to say that if the Leafs had Vasilevsky they’d have won by this point (not that I think Zybalto is saying that) but it shouldn’t be considered controversial imo to say the biggest factor in Tampa winning those back or back cups was their all world goaltender.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
One more year with that albatross cap hit is the only silver lining.
We wonder why this team has no real accountability for their stars...when the CAPTAIN is taking his sweet time to get back in the play in an overtime game...what can you say? So much for the JT is quiet but he leads on the ice shit.

Reactions: hotpaws

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
1st game this season with an electricity in da building .. Woll sharp again .. Matty showed up .. but our D omg we can't keep going along with 1 nhl D man .. too many 6th/7th guys on this squad .. it is bandaid D .. hurry up Tree .. lets go

Reactions: ToneDog

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
1st game this season with an electricity in da building .. Woll sharp again .. Matty showed up .. but our D omg we can't keep going along with 1 nhl D man .. too many 6th/7th guys on this squad .. it is bandaid D .. hurry up Tree .. lets go

They performed admirably but the need for a top 4 guy is really clear. Saying we have one NHL D is ridiculous though. We have at least 3 playing right now.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They performed admirably but the need for a top 4 guy is really clear. Saying we have one NHL D is ridiculous though. We have at least 3 playing right now.
Thought our main 3 were good. Lag, Timmins and Benoit did what they could, but speed is an issue and Lag/Benoit cant make a play with the puck

Reactions: Sypher04

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
So what's with this? Tried to report and just now another bruin douche comes in trolling.

1000015008.png

Reactions: PromisedLand

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree the team has been very inconsistent and probably in a better spot than they deserve but thats what good teams tend to do. I think what I mean by the "answer" is that have we found a guy who looks like he can rise to the occasion and battle in the playoffs.

For all the threads and discussion on playoff hockey and the team in front of the goaltenders, the facts remain that this Leafs core has had the following goalkeeper matchups in the playoffs:

Possible HOF Rask, Kopisalo(for one of the craziest record-breaking playoff goaltending runs ever), HOFer Price (in maybe the best playoff run of his career), HOFer Vasy, possible HOFer Bobrovsky (during the best playoff run of his career)

vs.

Andersen (one of the worst clutch goalies of all time), Campbell (lol) , Samsonov (meh), rookie Woll

Is there a more glaring example of why this team cant get on a good run? Woll looks like he wants to take the reins and looks like a battler out there too which I like. We need a goaltender that can do what guys like Potvin, Cujo and Belfour did for us back in the day. They saved our bacon in crucial moments and made everyone in front of them look like heroes. Goaltending is literally the most important position in the playoffs and my memory is now littered with bad goals and not big stops while our team has to run into walls.

I want to know what it feels like on the other end......to get clutch goaltending in the playoffs ....and if I did feel that, we are going on a huge run IMO.
I'm optimistic about Woll, but you really need to give it a rest with blaming our 1-7 playoff record on goaltending. That's way too simplistic and ignores all other factors, like for one thing how our big guns can't score in the biggest games. IIRC we got outscored 11-2 over a 3 year span when the 1st round series came down to one game, if you don't think that's a big part of the problem then you my friend have blinders on.
I'm just talking in cold hard facts like regulation points percentage, the true measure of a team's quality, except when the Bruins beat the Leafs in OT which proves that EvilHomer is wrong about the Leafs being superior to the Bruins
None of this explains why according to you, winning in OT is "pathetic".
Amazing what a couple of steady stay at home D men can provide, now picture how a couple of higher calibre stay at home D men could provide. This team doesn’t need flash on the backend, they needs solid stability……….
100% agreed.
Unfortunately, the previous GM did not realize that you cannot change the spots on this leopard at the TDL. You can surround them with all the toughness you want but if you are playing these ball-less players 20+ minutes/game, your team is pretty much ball-less.
I don't expect any different from the current GM. I think it was Friedman who on the broadcast talked about how we came close to a deal for Tanev and Zadorov. I can only imagine what the price would have been for those two rentals and it's not a happy thought, in fact it scared the crap out of me.

Just what the world needs, more censorship……..
Indeed. Ban all negative comments and let's turn this place into an echo chamber. :facepalm:
Actually people should be very surprised if we miss.
Agreed. Unless we suffer a slew of injuries, it's hard to see this team missing the playoffs. I mean sure we've played like garbage so far and the fact that we're 20+ games into the season and still can't get our shit together is frustrating but there's just too much talent here to miss the playoffs. JMHO.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Let's just soft land that number to $9.9 million and everyone will be happy. Looks like a win for Toronto keeping it under $10 million, but it's functionally $10 million.
9.9 and dropping fast, first he was playing like he wanted to get paid big time, now he looks like he’s playing not to get traded………

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm optimistic about Woll, but you really need to give it a rest with blaming our 1-7 playoff record on goaltending. That's way too simplistic and ignores all other factors, like for one thing how our big guns can't score in the biggest games. IIRC we got outscored 11-2 over a 3 year span when the 1st round series came down to one game, if you don't think that's a big part of the problem then you my friend have blinders on.
The scoring is overly simplistic as well in fairness. That 3 year span has 1-2 goal games that blow up with ENG and bad late goals. Reading those score suggest it wasnt close. Watching the games show exactly what the games were. We also had leads 2 of those series during game 6 where bad goals cost us.

Each playoff has had its own story

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I agree the team has been very inconsistent and probably in a better spot than they deserve but thats what good teams tend to do. I think what I mean by the "answer" is that have we found a guy who looks like he can rise to the occasion and battle in the playoffs.

For all the threads and discussion on playoff hockey and the team in front of the goaltenders, the facts remain that this Leafs core has had the following goalkeeper matchups in the playoffs:

Possible HOF Rask, Kopisalo(for one of the craziest record-breaking playoff goaltending runs ever), HOFer Price (in maybe the best playoff run of his career), HOFer Vasy, possible HOFer Bobrovsky (during the best playoff run of his career)

vs.

Andersen (one of the worst clutch goalies of all time), Campbell (lol) , Samsonov (meh), rookie Woll

Is there a more glaring example of why this team cant get on a good run? Woll looks like he wants to take the reins and looks like a battler out there too which I like. We need a goaltender that can do what guys like Potvin, Cujo and Belfour did for us back in the day. They saved our bacon in crucial moments and made everyone in front of them look like heroes. Goaltending is literally the most important position in the playoffs and my memory is now littered with bad goals and not big stops while our team has to run into walls.

I want to know what it feels like on the other end......to get clutch goaltending in the playoffs ....and if I did feel that, we are going on a huge run IMO.

Give me a break! LOL. Price didn't beat the Leafs, Leafs beat themselves. So delusional!! They had a 3-1 lead on him, they choked. Leafs top players need score also, why are they being paid millions more than our goaltenders. So sick of blaming the goalies when the core players who have failed to show up and score when it matters.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The scoring is overly simplistic as well in fairness. That 3 year span has 1-2 goal games that blow up with ENG and bad late goals. Reading those score suggest it wasnt close. Watching the games show exactly what the games were. We also had leads 2 of those series during game 6 where bad goals cost us.

Yea, but the players up front are being paid a lot more than any goalie we had. So it's on them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The goaltending could have been better at times for sure, but it's not like we're the only team that lets in bad goals at key times from time to time. Goaltending is part of the problem, but paying half the cap to 4 guys that can't score when we really need them to score is also a problem. I've got some issues with the decisions Keefe makes, IMO that's a problem. Marner disappearing after the first few games of the playoffs is a big problem.

Marner's playoff production
=====================
Games 1-4 - 1.19 PPG
Games 5-7 - 0.47 PPG

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Never had a playoff goaltender.

Just ask the guy on that list with all the cups (Bowman). Cant win a cup without goaltending.

"Bowman, who won three champions in nine seasons with the Red Wings, likened having good goaltending to an NFL team finding its franchise quarterback.

"It was tough on goalies coming in (to the 1996-97 season), and it's still tough now," Bowman said. "The NHL is like the NFL. It's a quarterback league. You see it every time a team gets going, and they lose a quarterback, they (lose games). The NHL, the way it's played now, goaltending is a huge factor."
You can't applaud the guy for his regular season success then ignore his playoff failures. Especially when Dubas routinely made the team stronger/deeper at the trade deadline.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yea, but the players up front are being paid a lot more than any goalie we had. So it's on them.
I wouldnt group them all together and/or assume all years were the same.

I thought we were good enough to beat Tampa the first series and our core did enough. Soupy wasnt great, especially later in the series. I thought JT and Matty were good vs CBJ, Marner was awful. First Boston series Marner was good, Matty wasnt, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad