Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
It sure looked to me that Nylander had money on a Bruins win !!!

So lackadaisical with the puck as the last man back !!!

Nylander with a single point since Sweden trip. Hero to zero since returning from Sweden.

I'll take the single point as our Leafs surely didn't deserve any points.

I just don't see what's so great about the Bruins. They are structurally sound, so coaching is doing a good job.

Not a happy Leafs fan tonight

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
The biggest issue last night was not nylanders turnover….. it was the fact he laid on the f***ing ice watching the play go down the other end and the trailer scores the goal. You lazy f***ing pos. Get the f*** up and get back. If he does maybe we win in the SO. That’s loser hockey

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Last night was a good one at least, even with the OTL, we carried much more of the play
Yup, that was one of our better efforts so far this season for sure. No payback for Liljegren but then, I wasn't expecting any anyway. Wasn't thrilled to see Marchand get the winner but whatever, 3on3 is nothing but a gimmicky variance fest (fun to watch though).
and winning in OT is kind of pathetic when you think about
LOL wut?
didn't we tie them in regulation points percentage? what exactly is the issue?
I think something went wrong with you quoting my post as you only quoted one word and as a result, I don't understand your question.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The biggest issue last night was not nylanders turnover….. it was the fact he laid on the f***ing ice watching the play go down the other end and the trailer scores the goal. You lazy f***ing pos. Get the f*** up and get back. If he does maybe we win in the SO. That’s loser hockey
He took the player out of the play too. He was the 3rd worst player of the 4 Leafs on the ice for that goal.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The only solution is to pay Nylander his money.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Is Woll the answer?

I've been pretty impressed with him so far this year but can he keep it up? Despite the loss tonight, I still came away impressed.

The other of our goalies (and last years #1) has maybe been the worst starter in hockey, our D core has been decimated by injuries (Liljegren and Gio still out) and our top guys have been somewhat inconsistent so far this year....and the Leafs are sitting in 8th place overall in the league (by pts %), one spot behind the current golden child of Canadian sports media, the Canucks.

Scoring is still up this season and if the team had Woll's .915 on the year, they would rank top 5ish for team save %, despite team defensive numbers cratering(partly due to injuries).

What do you guys think has gone right for the team this year to find themselves currently 8th overall? Thats a fun question to ask.

Reactions: thinkblue

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Dude, once again, if you watch the slow mo replay, Marchand caught Nylander with his knee as Nylander was trying to avoid him. Then he dropped on him with a punch, got up and took off into the offensive zone.

Well, I disagree. There was nothing dirty about it at all. Nylander saw the hit coming and bowed out.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Is Woll the answer?

I've been pretty impressed with him so far this year but can he keep it up? Despite the loss tonight, I still came away impressed.

The other of our goalies (and last years #1) has maybe been the worst starter in hockey, our D core has been decimated by injuries (Liljegren and Gio still out) and our top guys have been somewhat inconsistent so far this year....and the Leafs are sitting in 8th place overall in the league (by pts %), one spot behind the current golden child of Canadian sports media, the Canucks.

Scoring is still up this season and if the team had Woll's .915 on the year, they would rank top 5ish for team save %, despite team defensive numbers cratering(partly due to injuries).

What do you guys think has gone right for the team this year to find themselves currently 8th overall? Thats a fun question to ask.
Woll has been pretty great. The phrase "the answer" is a bit of a cliche so can't really answer that.

What's gone right for us to be 8th overall is pretty obvious IMO - we've done well in the gimmicky 3on3 OT and shootouts which is a massive variance fest so pretty meaningless when it comes to assessing how good a team is at playing hockey. Our regulation PTS% is below .500 and puts us 11th in the East so overall, the season so far has been terrible as far as playing regulation hockey goes.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
winning in OT does nothing to improve your regulation points percentage
That's true but calling it pathetic seems weird. It's a point in the standings, it's also relatively meaningless when it comes to assessing how well a team plays hockey but calling it pathetic seems ... weird.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Woll has been pretty great. The phrase "the answer" is a bit of a cliche so can't really answer that.

What's gone right for us to be 8th overall is pretty obvious IMO - we've done well in the gimmicky 3on3 OT and shootouts which is a massive variance fest so pretty meaningless when it comes to assessing how good a team is at playing hockey. Our regulation PTS% is below .500 and puts us 11th in the East so overall, the season so far has been terrible as far as playing regulation hockey goes.

I agree the team has been very inconsistent and probably in a better spot than they deserve but thats what good teams tend to do. I think what I mean by the "answer" is that have we found a guy who looks like he can rise to the occasion and battle in the playoffs.

For all the threads and discussion on playoff hockey and the team in front of the goaltenders, the facts remain that this Leafs core has had the following goalkeeper matchups in the playoffs:

Possible HOF Rask, Kopisalo(for one of the craziest record-breaking playoff goaltending runs ever), HOFer Price (in maybe the best playoff run of his career), HOFer Vasy, possible HOFer Bobrovsky (during the best playoff run of his career)

vs.

Andersen (one of the worst clutch goalies of all time), Campbell (lol) , Samsonov (meh), rookie Woll

Is there a more glaring example of why this team cant get on a good run? Woll looks like he wants to take the reins and looks like a battler out there too which I like. We need a goaltender that can do what guys like Potvin, Cujo and Belfour did for us back in the day. They saved our bacon in crucial moments and made everyone in front of them look like heroes. Goaltending is literally the most important position in the playoffs and my memory is now littered with bad goals and not big stops while our team has to run into walls.

I want to know what it feels like on the other end......to get clutch goaltending in the playoffs ....and if I did feel that, we are going on a huge run IMO.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
That's true but calling it pathetic seems weird. It's a point in the standings, it's also relatively meaningless when it comes to assessing how well a team plays hockey but calling it pathetic seems ... weird.
I'm just talking in cold hard facts like regulation points percentage, the true measure of a team's quality, except when the Bruins beat the Leafs in OT which proves that EvilHomer is wrong about the Leafs being superior to the Bruins

Reactions: Obo

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
On another fun note to trigger folks out there:

Minimum 250 games coached, the top ten coaches in NHL history ranked by points%:

1. Sheldon Keefe
2. Brind'Amour
3. Bowman
4. Ruel
5. Cassidy
6. Cooper
7. Evason (Shout out to Dean Evason who turned that team around and proved the goalie/coaches meme)
8. Blake
9. Boudreau
10. Smith

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad