Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-2 to Pittsburgh.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Now that's an example of the Leafs doing Leafy things

They just can't help themselves, it's what they do

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
And they do it frequently.

Lightning lost in round 3 in 2015-2016
Lightning missed the playoffs in 2016-2017

It can happen.

This might be a year to take a big step back, draft higher than typical and carve out a massive amount of cap space to rebuild the middle class. No more short term bets, dumpster dives. Just get back to honest franchise building and not just core player worship.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This might be a year to take a big step back, draft higher than typical and carve out a massive amount of cap space to rebuild the middle class. No more short term bets, dumpster dives. Just get back to honest franchise building and not just core player worship.

My concern would be the level headed Nylander gets shipped out so they can keep the coddled.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
And they do it frequently.

Lightning lost in round 3 in 2015-2016
Lightning missed the playoffs in 2016-2017

It can happen.
You can lose but I've yet to see a team that can play this badly against bad to average teams but beat good teams consistently (playoffs not included)

The teams more bipolar than the fan base

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
We were never going to win a lot in a row with a third string. Hopefully we can tread water for a bit and stay in the hunt

Luckily for us Vancouver is absolute shit defensively so it will hopefully turn our mojo

Does marner lead the league in secondary assists? Dude seems to be elite at them this year

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I didn’t watch the game but saw the highlights and that 3rd goal was simply awful

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
1668230520961.png

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Fairly even game until the 3rd goal against went in on a nothing play. At some point your 4th in-line guy is going to let something in that you won't like. Thought Kallgren was very good otherwise. Unfortunate, but that is the risk running without your top 2 tenders.

First line cannot establish any kind of consistent pressure... little blips here and there is not enough. And after a fast start to the season, the 2nd line doesn't look very threatening either.

Seems to me, teams have the book on this team now. Clog up the middle and let them shoot away from outside. Would love to know the dangerous shot count.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
This current roster is a .500 team. 15 games is a decent sample size. Usually 20 games is when most organizations come to realize what the team is. Too many other teams in the division made improvements in the off-season and they're potentially going to push the leafs out of playoff territory. It is what it is at this point. Dubas had an awful summer.

It'll have to start with Dubas. The new GM will go get their coach pretty quickly I'd assume. Then we go into full on re-tool in the off-season. I'm kind of looking forward to it. Hopefully a completely new vision for this team and how they should play.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I just don't even know with this team. They can be so much better than this. Just makes me shake my head. There is a good team in there. It just doesn't show up often enough.

Kind of wish they came into this season a team possessed. Just ready to go at the league and march to the playoffs ready to win some rounds. That all the falling short would piss them off and they'd want more. But we just get games like this.

Just too bad the team isn't as good as it should be.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I hated that game. That was the worst.

The last few minutes with the goalie pulled was so sloppy. The Leafs looked like an AHL team.

On with the next game. I want to forget about that one.

PS- all those "Liljegren is a number 1 Defenseman" people got humbled tonight. He was brutal.

He is still pretty young, and everyone has a poor game. Alternatively, tender manages a shutout and nobody mentions anything.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
But who will be making those decisions ?

Reactions: PromisedLand

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's always about Marner, eh?

Marner out would be a big shift in the team personality. Aside from that, I don't love Rielly in the number one role on defense, and I don't know if the answer is to put someone in front of him on the depth chart or to ship him out. I think Tavares is having a good comeback year so far and can gently manage the second half of his contract. Would keep Nylander. Would keep Matthews. If Samsonov continues on his path he could be our goalie of the future.

Matthews
Tavares
Nylander
Samsonov

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Whelp, we deserved the L there. Weren’t absolutely terrible, but weren’t good either.

Change up the lines Keefe - separate Matthews and Marner. They’ve been underwhelming 5v5 all season, clearly time to try something new. I’d like to see:

Jarnkrok - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Bunting - Kampf - Kerfoot
Malgin - Engvall - ZAR
Marner carrying that line and its too heavy. Ffs, why is the fact that Mtthews is playing like shit and black holing everything a reflection on Marner? Such a f***ing lazy assessment
Where in my post am I blaming Marner for Matthews’ play? Literally nowhere, I just said they were underperforming as a line and we should try splitting them up. You clearly have an agenda and are fabricating things in your own head.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Marner out would be a big shift in the team personality. Aside from that, I don't love Rielly in the number one role on defense, and I don't know if the answer is to put someone in front of him on the depth chart or to ship him out. I think Tavares is having a good comeback year so far and can gently manage the second half of his contract. Would keep Nylander. Would keep Matthews. If Samsonov continues on his path he could be our goalie of the future.

Matthews
Tavares
Nylander
Samsonov
If a major shakeup was to happen I'd like to see it be Rielly and JT.

The D needs an overhaul. Maybe something can be built around Lilly and Sandin but for too long this team has been missing their horse back there like a pietrangelo, parayko, Makar. We haven't had a game changing d-man since Bryan McCabe. Rielly's return would be solid. He's a great player, but he never took that step to game breaker, franchise level, player.

JT is having a hell of a start to his season. It's a resurgence. Saying that, it may be the right time to get out from that 11 million so it can be spent on depth and the blue line. Sell high, when possible...

Center depth is important, so if not JT, then Marner for sure. A wingers impact on each game has a ceiling. What he brings to the game is no more than what David Pastrnak, Kucherov, Connor, can bring. All 3 of those guys are paid less than Marner. For arguments sake, lets say Marner does bring more than those 3. Is it worth the lack of depth on this roster? He's not worth it in my opinion.

Matthews hopefully sticks around but I am a little nervous he has eyes on California.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad