Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-2 to Pittsburgh.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This current roster is a .500 team. 15 games is a decent sample size. Usually 20 games is when most organizations come to realize what the team is. Too many other teams in the division made improvements in the off-season and they're potentially going to push the leafs out of playoff territory. It is what it is at this point. Dubas had an awful summer.

It'll have to start with Dubas. The new GM will go get their coach pretty quickly I'd assume. Then we go into full on re-tool in the off-season. I'm kind of looking forward to it. Hopefully a completely new vision for this team and how they should play.
Ya we are soon approaching the magical 20 games that the Dubas fans claim that we should use as time line to evaluate the version of Dubas’s team

Watching Darryl cry was almost as hard as watching Borje.
Ya that was a tough one

Reactions: PromisedLand

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
This is what you don't want from a 14 mil player on his next contract.

At least he's playing himself out of a 16 mil a year deal 😂

Haven't read entire thread but from what I have read, seems like depression city.

I guess I'm in the small minority here (or alone even?) but I thought they played OK. Just OK mind you, but still - OK. Kallgren wasn't so bad either, some of you people need to chill out a bit.

Kallgren is fine for what he is. I don't know what people expect.

We're a solid team when we give a shit about hockey. People are frustrated because we do that 25% of the time and only when the heat gets cranked up on the team in the media

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
We pay Muzzin and Murray more money than Edmonton pays Draisaitl. Let it sink in.
They pay RNH and Hyman more than the Leafs pay Marner. Let it sink in. LD is on one of the best contracts in the league, you could find any two bad contracts on any team and make that statement.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Agree with the last few comments.

Holy f*** are they pedestrian this year. You could tell right from training camp - Matty and Mitch were uncoordinated, their timing was off. They just look like the "ask" of them is too much for them to handle? Apparently the 1st line spent some time together in Arizona this summer and you can tell that Bunting joined them, cuz he thinks he's a superstar too now.
There's a bunch of psychology going on as to why they look like this, and I'm sure all the years of losing in the first round and having to own and explain that hasn't helped, but their weak constitution is 100% to blame. No crunch time success, meaning - no playoff success, no OT success, no empty net success either way, no grit and grind success, no board battle success, no proven chops where the will to win is concerned. If you cant see it, I dont know what else to tell you. Regardless what you make of it, it's clear whatever they did this summer should never be repeated.

Look at JT. After last year, you can tell he was pissed off and he looks like a man possessed. He's leading by example. But.. you almost wish that he was the type of leader that would take these kids by the ear and show them the way to channel it. But he isn't, and even he knows - this is their team. It's a shame really. So much talent - but your best players need to be Bergerons and Stamkos', and McKinnons and Hedmans, not fancy mistake prone playmakers and temperamental superstar frauds who think everything's toooo harrrrdd. Malgin, Kampf and Willy are the heart and soul of this team..?!?? Like wtf, yall.
There is so much right in this post that it should be sent to Leafs management as an expression of Leaf fans frustration.

This team is going nowhere if the talented players don’t learn to play the right way. When Kampf and Malgin are your more determined players the team is in trouble. I have no issue with Tavares and Nylander, but Matthews and Marner just ain’t right.

Another game where the offence scores less than 3 and the number of giveaways and defensive breakdowns are ridiculous.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There is so much right in this post that it should be sent to Leafs management as an expression of Leaf fans frustration.

This team is going nowhere if the talented players don’t learn to play the right way. When Kampf and Malgin are your more determined players the team is in trouble. I have no issue with Tavares and Nylander, but Matthews and Marner just ain’t right.

Another game where the offence scores less than 3 and the number of giveaways and defensive breakdowns are ridiculous.
If Luke Fox’s report is accurate, there’s your problem.

Can Keefe make it through the next 8 games?

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Great game by almost everyone, except for Chall-Green. Ifthat flubber of a shot could have been saved, we would have won.

Robertson was sooooo good this game. He deserved a couple of goals.

Willie was the star of the game imo.

f*** Malkin. He's the epitome of a egotistical jock asshole whos waaaay to high on his own name.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Marner will be fine. We all know 20 points in 10 game stretches are coming.

I am disappointed in his response to early criticism right now though. For instance Nylander has a "I don't care" attitude if he does stuff that gets him blasted ever since he was 21, however you can tell in his game the next day he wants to make amends, even if hes unable to sustain it. I'm getting more of a "F you I'm perfect" vibe from Marner. Johnson said it perfectly when Marner had the sweet assist to Tavares 2 games ago. He's like how he didn't really notice marner until that point lol

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner carrying that line and its too heavy. Ffs, why is the fact that Mtthews is playing like shit and black holing everything a reflection on Marner? Such a f***ing lazy assessment
Marner has to protect the puck, he’s making little mental errors that are costly. That said, it is quite telling, and frankly where I tune out people, how conveniently they rip Mitch while simultaneously absolving Matthews, who’s been disinterested dog shit for most of the season. You’re simply not a serious commentator here, it’s just agenda posting.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Great game by almost everyone, except for Chall-Green. Ifthat flubber of a shot could have been saved, we would have won.

Robertson was sooooo good this game. He deserved a couple of goals.

Willie was the star of the game imo.

f*** Malkin. He's the epitome of a egotistical jock asshole whos waaaay to high on his own name.
Did you watch Dallas play? Not sure which Robertson you watched, the Leafs version was once again ineffective who doesnt think the game at a high level and ends up being empty calorie result…….he looks exactly like Yakapov.

Reactions: Mickey Marner

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Marner has to protect the puck, he’s making little mental errors that are costly. That said, it is quite telling, and frankly where I tune out people, how conveniently they rip Mitch while simultaneously absolving Matthews, who’s been disinterested dog shit for most of the season. You’re simply not a serious commentator here, it’s just agenda posting.
I dont know - i havent seen near the level of egregious lazy turnovers from matthews than marner, or forced bad passes.

Matthews has been very average by his and our standards - but marner has been something else bad

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Did you watch Dallas play? Not sure which Robertson you watched, the Leafs version was once again ineffective who doesnt think the game at a high level and ends up being empty calorie result…….he looks exactly like Yakapov.
Someone once described Yakupov as looking like he was being chased by swarm of bees. I think that describes Robertson as well. The effort is there, but they just don't know where to be or what to do.

Reactions: Lemontree

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

The difference from my point of view is Matthews has been invisible. Marner's glitches have been glaring and hard to ignore. One stands out more than the other, that's all.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Haven't read entire thread but from what I have read, seems like depression city.

I guess I'm in the small minority here (or alone even?) but I thought they played OK. Just OK mind you, but still - OK. Kallgren wasn't so bad either, some of you people need to chill out a bit.
Overall, they actually played pretty good. Tons of zone time and puck possession. A few errors defensively and Kallgren could have been better, but when you can’t score with all that possession, somethings wrong.

Our elite top line, who scored 81 goals last year, is on pace for 31. Sure, we keep saying, it’s only a matter of time before those shooting percentages revert back to a norm… but 15 games is starting to get to a decent sample size. As noted here, we usually start with the first 20 game sample set and are patient until then.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad