Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-2 to Pittsburgh.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't currently care about how effective Engvall has been, or Sandin's blunders, Keefe, Dubas or anything else...

This team will not go anywhere, unless our top players get their act together. I keep reading about how perhaps Matthews came into camp out of shape, which barring some injury that we don't know about is disgraceful. Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt. Bottom line, we keep saying the shooting percentage will come around... and 15 games in, it isn't.

This is all 5v5.

Matthews
Last year, 15.6% 38 goals 244 shots
Two goals on 48 shots now... 5v5. 4.1% pacing for 10-11 goals 5v5 pacing 262 shots

Marner last year 17.1% shooting 22 goals on 128 shots
This year, 17.6%... 3 goals on 17 shots, pacing for 93 shots pacing for 16 goals

Bunting
last year 21 goals on 13.1% shooting 160 shots
this year 1 goal on 23 shots 4.3% shooting pacing for 125 shots, pacing for 5 goals

Last year, 532 shots, 81 goals
This year pacing, 480 shots, 30-32 goals

Our first line is pacing for 50 goals less this year, than last year. They have six 5v5 goals. You know who else has six 5v5 goals... Malgin, Kampf and ZAR collectively.

These guys should be embarrassed with their play.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
That 3rd goal was bad. Leafs 3rd goal was nonexsistent...

Its a team, if u got a AHL goalie, help him(and therefor the team) as much as u can with good D and good offensive. 4goals should be expected every game from this core.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
shany needs to go, holl needs to go, keefe and dubas. that core/dressing room is rotten, mm runs the room, his daddy and best friend kyle dubas would NEVER split am mm up. def something really rotten here; oh and get a dman under 30 who can play defense and hit. a forward too under 30 that can skate hit etc. such a wimpy organization from top to bottom. no team grit or team identity, cant even score now ffs!

8 years in the shanaplan, 6 from am/mm/wn not one playoff round lmfao.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If Matthews doesn't care enough to play for your team (or he is slightly injured)
Why is he still playing 1C for you?

Shouldn't Tavares play 1C? he is atm far better player what Matthews, right?
It would give a big message for Matthews; play better or be demoted to 2C for good.

top 6

Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Bunting-Matthews-Järnkrok

bottom 6

Kerfoot-Kämpf-Marner
AstonRees-Malgin-Engvall

something like that.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Does marner lead the league in secondary assists? Dude seems to be elite at them this year
Among forwards, yes. Pietrangelo has one more.

Matthews, Marner, and Rielly each have 17 giveaways this year. Only eight players in the league have more.

Kampf and Nylander lead the team in ratio of takeaways to giveaways (12-5 and 11-5 respectively).

Reactions: rocketman588

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Was there. Kalgren kept them in the game. Another set of one on one exhibitions lost us this game. It's almost like the good guys are just playing for a contract. Sad to watch

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I don't currently care about how effective Engvall has been, or Sandin's blunders, Keefe, Dubas or anything else...

This team will not go anywhere, unless our top players get their act together. I keep reading about how perhaps Matthews came into camp out of shape, which barring some injury that we don't know about is disgraceful. Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt. Bottom line, we keep saying the shooting percentage will come around... and 15 games in, it isn't.

This is all 5v5.

Matthews
Two goals on 48 shots now... 5v5. 4.1% pacing for 10-11 goals 5v5 pacing 262 shots

This year, 17.6%... 3 goals on 17 shots, pacing for 93 shots pacing for 16 goals

Bunting
this year 1 goal on 23 shots 4.3% shooting pacing for 125 shots, pacing for 5 goals

Our first line is pacing for 50 goals less this year, than last year. They have six 5v5 goals. You know who else has six 5v5 goals... Malgin, Kampf and ZAR collectively.

Matthews does look a little heavier to me so your comment about coming in “out of shape” makes sense to me

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs are one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL this season. Imagine thinking that would be possible a month into the regular season with how often they've dominated teams with their firepower over the last half decade.

It doesn't help that Kallgren is absolutely dreadful and cannot stop a puck even if it were 10 feet wide. He's not an NHL goaltender, hell, I don't think he's an AHL goaltender, numbers have been abysmal there as well.

Samsonov starts and they've won most of their games when he's been there.

I won't watch another game he's in this season, it's a waste of 2 1/2 hours that I won't do anymore.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This team is tough to watch, they continue to give away the puck away with odd man rushes the other way or clear break aways. That third goal was on Malgin.

Second when are we gonna learn that Holl is a 6/7 D man and should be played as such.

Rielly Liljegren
Sandin Brodie
Gio Holl

Simple as that. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Stop playing him up, he is a terrible D man who should only be playing against the other teams worst lines.

Lastly we need player who hate losing more than they like winning and I don’t see that in this group. I’ve said this before and I’ll say this again maybe it’s not the worst thing in the world if we don’t make the playoffs. I just hope that if we are out of the picture by late January Dubas and company have the balls to sell some players and step up to the mic and say this group isn’t good enough to win a SC.

Reactions: PromisedLand

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
Agree with the last few comments.

Holy f*** are they pedestrian this year. You could tell right from training camp - Matty and Mitch were uncoordinated, their timing was off. They just look like the "ask" of them is too much for them to handle? Apparently the 1st line spent some time together in Arizona this summer and you can tell that Bunting joined them, cuz he thinks he's a superstar too now.
There's a bunch of psychology going on as to why they look like this, and I'm sure all the years of losing in the first round and having to own and explain that hasn't helped, but their weak constitution is 100% to blame. No crunch time success, meaning - no playoff success, no OT success, no empty net success either way, no grit and grind success, no board battle success, no proven chops where the will to win is concerned. If you cant see it, I dont know what else to tell you. Regardless what you make of it, it's clear whatever they did this summer should never be repeated.

Look at JT. After last year, you can tell he was pissed off and he looks like a man possessed. He's leading by example. But.. you almost wish that he was the type of leader that would take these kids by the ear and show them the way to channel it. But he isn't, and even he knows - this is their team. It's a shame really. So much talent - but your best players need to be Bergerons and Stamkos', and McKinnons and Hedmans, not fancy mistake prone playmakers and temperamental superstar frauds who think everything's toooo harrrrdd. Malgin, Kampf and Willy are the heart and soul of this team..?!?? Like wtf, yall.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Agree with the last few comments.

Holy f*** are they pedestrian this year. You could tell right from training camp - Matty and Mitch were uncoordinated, their timing was off. They just look like the "ask" of them is too much for them to handle? Apparently the 1st line spent some time together in Arizona this summer and you can tell that Bunting joined them, cuz he thinks he's a superstar too now.
There's a bunch of psychology going on as to why they look like this, and I'm sure all the years of losing in the first round and having to own and explain that hasn't helped, but their weak constitution is 100% to blame. No crunch time success, meaning - no playoff success, no OT success, no empty net success either way, no grit and grind success, no board battle success, no proven chops where the will to win is concerned. If you cant see it, I dont know what else to tell you. Regardless what you make of it, it's clear whatever they did this summer should never be repeated.

Look at JT. After last year, you can tell he was pissed off and he looks like a man possessed. He's leading by example. But.. you almost wish that he was the type of leader that would take these kids by the ear and show them the way to channel it. But he isn't, and even he knows - this is their team. It's a shame really. So much talent - but your best players need to be Bergerons and Stamkos', and McKinnons and Hedmans, not fancy mistake prone playmakers and temperamental superstar frauds who think everything's toooo harrrrdd. Malgin, Kampf and Willy are the heart and soul of this team..?!?? Like wtf, yall.
Easy read and there is so much accurate in this post. Its amazing there havent been any big trades or moves done. Because the men on top cant be that blind... can they. Or is the plan for us just to play ice hockey and it doesnt matter if a sucka loses at the same time. Would be a shame if sho, because I for example have invested so much money on our club........

Reactions: TopCheeseShotta

horner

May 22, 2007
Crosby played smart D on 34. Shadowing him. 34 poor game and marner too. Weak. Tavares had a couple of chances again 👏🍁 pens were really smart again tonight against us. They knows hard how to beat our type of players LOL.
They have a really good coach and leader that show and send his message.

Reactions: Nhlpowerweek

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Very professional from a guy making 11 mil a year
there seems to be a pretty long list of American young nhlers who are immature and have to go through the growing pains. p.Kane, Kessel, eichel all had attitude/maturity issues. Matthews is no different from moongate, so being dismissive to fan criticism, and now looking a little pudgy. As a team, in the NHL in a cap world you just can’t be spending massive caphits on immature superstars who are supremely gifted but lack the heart and maturity and desire to win. The phrase hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard was written for the NHL.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Haven't read entire thread but from what I have read, seems like depression city.

I guess I'm in the small minority here (or alone even?) but I thought they played OK. Just OK mind you, but still - OK. Kallgren wasn't so bad either, some of you people need to chill out a bit.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010

This is all 5v5.

Matthews

Bunting

These are really interesting stats.

Mitch is pretty much On pace.

Bunting has Regressed and seems to have forgotten what got him here

Auston is a real puzzle. He’s still excellent defensively and has been playing more physical, but he seems unable to get any room and he doesn’t look dangerous at all. Last years shooting % wouldn’t include the 10 or so rockets he ripped off a post On top of those numbers. This year It feels like he just can’t shoot the puck. I‘m not remembering very many great saves on Auston rockets.

So it’s like someone took his super power away. Still a great player, but his shot is missing. This team goes nowhere without that shot.

This points to it being a nagging injury doesn’t it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad