Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
MSL speaks good French.

1728526345623.png

Reactions: Pomee

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It says our xGF 5v5 tonight was 4.29

Am I reading this incorrectly or was that number higher than any game last season?
The Leafs played well.

I don't hate that they started the year with a 1-0 loss. Too often they start with a 6-5 barn burner and it looks like they have no structure.

They heavily outplayed Mon tonight. Keep playing like that and you will find succeas

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's one game and Montreal was PUMPED for their home opener but the Leafs do NOT look "new and improved".

Oh well... this game will be forgotten soon enough.

Reactions: myleafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Neither is the opposition goalie.

You are putting WAY to much stock into 1 game.

A game they DOMINATED if they were bad that would be one thing, you'd still be putting to much stock into 1 game but at least you'd maybe have a SLIGHT point.

But they weren't, they were really really good.

1 stupid selfish penalty

that's it.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Pretty sure they will trade him, and soon.

Funny, I feel Timmins moves the puck better and more importantly is better in the defensive zone along the boards under pressure. I'm tired of our team getting hemmed in our zone because Timmy got dominated down low.

I expect Timmy and Kampf to be traded soonish.

The only thing Timmins is a bit better at is board work but thats it. If you do some parallel between Rielly and Liljegren you can see some similarity although different usage with Rielly getting prime minutes

Rielly played about 312 and had about 119 pts for 0.38 ppg games before he broke out offensively in NHL
Liljegren has played about 196 games and has about 65 points for 0.33 ppg

Rielly also got more minutes than Liljegren

1728526181218.png

I think Leafs if they trade Lily are giving up on him too soon but given berube's choice already no point in holding on to Lily. This is why I wanted Coach Q instead of Berube. NHL cock blocked us and then as soon as we hired Berube; bettman the a-hole said Q is available. Pissed me the F-OFF

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
that line started playing much better in the third, had two or three extended shifts in the ozone but as a whole weren't really good

tavares killed 60% of plays, domi wanted to pass everything, and nylander wasn't really able to do anything of note with them

Domi and JT was looking lost most of the time.
Nylander was soft and he played individually all game long...

It was a really hard game for everyone on that line

Reactions: ACC1224

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Game against former coach and then dubie’s team on Saturday, I like the schedule and if it’s 0-3, this place will go crazy lol. Leafs are never boring, I can give them that.

Reactions: ULF_55

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
It's one game and Montreal was PUMPED for their home opener but the Leafs sure do NOT look "new and improved".
I thought they looked 'different'. I don't know what it was but they were definitely different.

They did look slowish and the PP was trash.

New system will take some time for everyone to get used to. Once they do, I think we will enjoy what we see. Even tonight was a really good effort out of the gate (well, other than the first).

Reactions: ORRFForever

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Nylander has to play individually on that line (created a fair amount of looks still) due to tavares looking like an AHLer

Tavares cant skate, stick handle, defend man on man, break the puck out, cycle, shoot or anything in between

He is the worst player in the top 9

Tavares if he plays like this moving forward is healthy scratch level. He was horrific

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

that line? are you joking?? our top line was even worst you choose the second line to single out your names noted i will taking nothing you say serious starting...........NOW

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
How so, we just dominated that game!? Three posts and a couple lucky saves, and one really good one at the end. Habs only had what we gave them. All that in a new system where it was clear the forwards were hesitating/thinking a lot.

I think St. Louis just coached the same way that beat Leafs during playoffs.

Play opportunistic hockey, give them perimeter shots but take away the center ice and neutral zone play.

its the same thing that happened against CBJ where Torts basically gave Leafs all the looks from bad angles but center ice and grade-A chances were reduced

Reactions: myleafs

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Yeah, Habs skilled play won the game.

Holmberg carrying on from preseason.

Like to see Tavares with a couple "heavy" wingers.

? - Holmberg - Nylander
Tavares looked pretty good with Patches from what I remember in their 1 or 2 games during preseason.
The only thing Timmins is a bit better at is board work but thats it. If you do some parallel between Rielly and Liljegren you can see some similarity although different usage with Rielly getting prime minutes

Rielly played about 312 and had about 119 pts for 0.38 ppg games before he broke out offensively in NHL

View attachment 914319

I think Leafs if they trade Lily are giving up on him too soon but given berube's choice already no point in holding on to Lily. This is why I wanted Coach Q instead of Berube. NHL cock blocked us and then as soon as we hired Berube; bettman the a-hole said Q is available. Pissed me the F-OFF
Go look at those rosters compared to what Lilly has. Come on now.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think St. Louis just coached the same way that beat Leafs during playoffs.

Play opportunistic hockey, give them perimeter shots but take away the center ice and neutral zone play.

its the same thing that happened against CBJ where Torts basically gave Leafs all the looks from bad angles but center ice and grade-A chances were reduced

They got a ton of chances in tight, if that was the plan, they failed at preventing those chances.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
You are putting WAY to much stock into 1 game.

A game they DOMINATED if they were bad that would be one thing, you'd still be putting to much stock into 1 game but at least you'd maybe have a SLIGHT point.

But they weren't, they were really really good.

1 stupid selfish penalty

that's it.

Yeah, pretty much every year an also ran team or two goes on a run to start the season and give false hope to fans. Sure, I'd like to have seen us score but even if we got shellacked, I still wouldn't be worrying......yet.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
PP picks up where it never left off

Curious to see Holmberg on 5-on-3 PK but not Kampf

2nd line is not good and Tavares is a step behind

Timmins not a good game from him.

Rielly off PP1; Also if you are gonna split time between PP, split the talent as well
it looks like their auditioning him for kampf 4 line spot

Reactions: Jacquestrapless

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

View attachment 914319

How do you know they even wanted coach Q?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

View attachment 914319

I would never have though to compare Timmy to Morgan... like ever. Stat wise, I get what you are saying. I don't see Timmy progressing, which I think is the issue.

I think for a #6, excellent board work is almost all you need along with solid defending. Neither of the two are in our top 4, or even close really. So, as you say, if he's going to sit, move him and let him play/grow somewhere else.

Moving him doesn't worry me. We have moved on from a lot of players posters here loved, and haven't regretted much.

I soft of feel ashamed, but I wanted Coach-Q too... I think he was the best fit for what we needed without a doubt. I do feel Berube will prove to be a right move though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad