Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 1-0

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I hope Berube can show some of the guys who make 10+mil that they can stand in front of the net, because its why we struggle to score so often.

Matthews when he decides to try is one of the best at it. I'm fairly certain Marner and Nylander are afraid of the neither, especially Marner. They must avoid it to avoid getting hit. Actual pusscakes.

JT need to head to the net every play, hes not good enough anymore to be making fancier plays.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Domi and JT was looking lost most of the time.
Nylander was soft and he played individually all game long...

It was a really hard game for everyone on that line
Yeah they weren’t very good, probably the worse line tonight. Hopefully they’re better tomorrow

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Go look at those rosters compared to what Lilly has. Come on now.

Rielly was given plenty of minutes and PP usage even earlier in his career. Lily was not afforded the same thing IMO

Tough love is good but sometimes confidence boosting of a young player is also important. If you don't beleive in young player than you gotta move on from them,

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think St. Louis just coached the same way that beat Leafs during playoffs.

Play opportunistic hockey, give them perimeter shots but take away the center ice and neutral zone play.

its the same thing that happened against CBJ where Torts basically gave Leafs all the looks from bad angles but center ice and grade-A chances were reduced
Yup yup yup. Cannot argue that.

The book is out on these guys. Everyone knows it.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
These line combinations suck.

Stolarz was awesome, OEL, Tanev, McCabe and the fourth line had good games, Pacioretty had his moments, rest of the team ranged from mediocre to bad. PP also continues to suck balls
this idea OEL had a good game is a joke hes single handedly the reason the pucc went in the net in the firsts place no participation ribbons

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We also only gave up 3 high danger chances against 5V5 which was only bested once last season (march 14 vs PHI)

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
I think St. Louis just coached the same way that beat Leafs during playoffs.

Play opportunistic hockey, give them perimeter shots but take away the center ice and neutral zone play.

its the same thing that happened against CBJ where Torts basically gave Leafs all the looks from bad angles but center ice and grade-A chances were reduced
Except we the had a lot of shots from in tight.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Rielly was given plenty of minutes and PP usage even earlier in his career. Lily was not afforded the same thing IMO

Tough love is good but sometimes confidence boosting of a young player is also important. If you don't beleive in young player than you gotta move on from them,
The PP is the one area where Timmy would excel imo. Rielly sucks on it, too slow making decisions with the puck. It's not an accident most of his shots are blocked.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

is it really a PP when it looked like Chicagos 2nd unit?

Reactions: arso40

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
We also only gave up 3 high danger chances against 5V5 which was only bested once last season (march 14 vs PHI)
That is probably the stat that mattes the most, and the one I bet the coach was looking at first. Wonder how many we gave up in game 1 last season. Berube is all about that team D.

The problem we have seen for like 8 years is when these guys clamp down on the defensive side, their offence literally disappears.

Reactions: weems

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I would never have though to compare Timmy to Morgan... like ever. Stat wise, I get what you are saying. I don't see Timmy progressing, which I think is the issue.

I think for a #6, excellent board work is almost all you need along with solid defending. Neither of the two are in our top 4, or even close really. So, as you say, if he's going to sit, move him and let him play/grow somewhere else.

Moving him doesn't worry me. We have moved on from a lot of players posters here loved, and haven't regretted much.

I soft of feel ashamed, but I wanted Coach-Q too... I think he was the best fit for what we needed without a doubt. I do feel Berube will prove to be a right move though.

Agreed on Coach Q; I am a bit iffy on Berube given the player personnel we got; we don't have ROR, Peierangelo as leaders who not only voice their opinions but are the hardest workers on ice so team naturally follows or heck prime binnington so TBD

I'd agree to disagree on Lily. I think Lily can still be a top4 D. He is a Stralman that we will be moving on from IMO

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That is probably the stat that mattes the most, and the one I bet the coach was looking at first. Wonder how many we gave up in game 1 last season. Berube is all about that team D.

The problem we have seen for like 8 years is when these guys clamp down on the defensive side, their offence literally disappears.

Our problem is never D in the post season...

Reactions: wingman75

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Barely care anymore but this is the same old fart that stinks. We will obviously get going and win games but can’t be serious if you think this is a cup team.

Our goalie played well which was nice.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Robertson out
Timmins out
McMann in
Liligren in

Tavares days are over. Resigning him would be an absolute embarrassment

Stolarz was great
The PP was a f***ing disgrace
Holmberg was good
Top guys sucked.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Including the playoffs last year, 6 straight games where the haven't scored more than 2 goals. 12 goals in the last 8 games (1.5 goals per game)

And Boston in the playoffs, they held the Leafs to 12 goals in 7 games...Florida put up 19 in Boston in the same playoffs and lit them up for 6 last night.

Its one game, I get it, but for what you are paying Matthews and Nylander and Marner, you can't have stretches THAT long with so little offense.
if willie lined up with matty we would have scored you try carrying tavares and domi

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Top 2 lines looked like garbage but they’ll figure it out obviously. Was pleasantly surprised by how the 4th line looked, didn’t expect them to look that good. I like Lorentz. I really liked Tanev too he’s gonna be great for us. And Stolarz, like everyone said, he was fantastic.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The PP is the one area where Timmy would excel imo. Rielly sucks on it, too slow making decisions with the puck. It's not an accident most of his shots are blocked.

Rielly is braindead when it comes to PP. He can't move fast, doesn't have a point shot or think fast enough to be on the PP.

The one time Leafs' PP was really hot last season was when Lily was running the point btw. Lily also was the 2nd best offensive D-man we had last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad