Proposal: Leafs Get A Kane After Losing Their 'Foot: TOR + S.J.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Preamble
Kane's value around the league right now is completely subjective... some teams likely wouldn't want him under any circumstances, whereas others may be willing to put up with his off-ice antics so long as he produces during games. Given their Cup aspirations, need at LW, and Kerfoot's expendable contract, Toronto seems like one of the teams that should be willing to gamble on Kane. So, what would a trade look like built around Kerfoot for Kane with 50% retention? Here's my attempt...

The Trade
To Toronto: Kane (50% retained)

To San Jose: 2022 1st, Kerfoot, plus some B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system that San Jose want included

Toronto get a huge upgrade at LW on one of their top 2 lines without taking on additional salary

San Jose get a 2022 1st for essentially paying Kerfoot 7 million each of the next 2 seasons to replace Kane in their lineup, and then having 3.5 million in dead cap space in 2025 and 2026. They also get a couple of B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system they really like
Sorry man. I like the thread title but in order for Dan Jose to dump Kane, they would have to give up an uncomfortable amount of assets. How you could think someone would give something to acquire him is mind boggling.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Craig MacTavish retired in the 90's. His example isn't really relevant.
Beyond that, it was an isolated incident for a college-educated player of otherwise good character who accepted responsibility, showed remorse, had no other problems with his team mates, women or the law, and went on to complete an MBA after his playing career.

It's not just the passage of time. They are completely opposite of one another. There is nothing that ties them together.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
LOL at the Leafs being the one adding a prospect in this trade.

Kane is finished. Unfortunately his bad contract isn't

Edit: just saw that the OP also included a first for SJ. I know my Leafs are a laughing stock but seriously?!!

Last edited:
Reactions: TML1990

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Well. The league announced they’re still investigating the charges of domestic abuse separate from the covid investigation. So no. Even if he has been vaccinated (which there has been no report of) the other issues are still very much in effect

Did they announce that? All I saw was "The NHL said Monday that its concurrent investigation into allegations of domestic abuse made against Kane by his estranged wife could not be substantiated."
Kane suspended 21 games for Sharks, violated NHL COVID-19 protocol
(I'd be interested if they made a separate announcement though)

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
LOL at the Leafs being the one adding a prospect in this trade.

Kane is finished. Unfortunately his bad contract isn't

Edit: just saw that the OP also included a first for SJ. I know my Leafs are a laughing stock but seriously?!!

The Leafs just gave up a first for Foligno... and a 1st to get Marleau off their payroll

Getting a 1st line 30 goal scorer LW for the next 4 years at a 3.5 million cap hit would seem like a better use of a 1st rd pick than the ones mentioned above

And besides, with Kane on the team that pick would be 32md overall...

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I would take this deal as Sharks fan who never wants to see Kane in teal again. We are stuck with Kane's cap hit this season no matter what. After that is another matter. The Sharks most likely can't term his contract and would have the choice of buying him out, burying him in the minors, or trading him. This will get the cap hit off 3 years quicker than a buyout, but cost 3.6 million in cap next year compared to a buyout and 160k than leaving him on the books. After that Kerfoot is off the books. The trade then costs about 900k more than a buyout the following year, and 900k less the year after that. In addition we get a couple decent picks and prospects for a guy who will not likely ever play for us again.

All that being said, no GM in this league would give up a 1st for Kane. Sharks will likely just have to eat his cap hit the next few seasons.

Reactions: Ciao

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Feel bad for Kane. Imo his wife is the worst human being on this planet she deserves to be punished behind bars for the rest of her life for all of these crazy false allegations I would love to see E Kane in a leafs jersey but I think a mutual contract termination then signing in Tampa/Carolina is the most logical outcome. Great player, love watching him. Would also love seeing the Leafs media going wild I think anyone under 23 would support and respect Kane. Yes he’s not perfect but hard drugs and partying does a lot to people I can attest to that.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Leafs gave up a 1st for Foligno at last year's deadline when he had 16 points in 42 games

Kane was nearly a point-per-game player last season with 49 points in 56 games... he's averaged 30 goals per 82 games over his last 10 seasons, and he's still only 30 years old

His vaccination status might be a deal-breaker, but parting with a "decent roster player" like Kerfoot certainly shouldn't

Giving up a 1st for Foligno at the trade deadline is a very different situation then giving up a 1st for the player with the most baggage in the league. They aren’t comparable, and Kane’s off-ice issues overshadow his production. You always ignore context in your proposals which is always why they are universally derided.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
That was answered in the OP...

Who's the upgrade on? The explanation is unclear, definitely not answered in OP. We take a clown off the ice and trust him not to be a clown off the ice (or on) in a new system? Easy pass on the dumbass.

I've seen bad offers and I've seen stupid offers. I'm sure the responses in this thread tell you which direction this heads in lol.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
Preamble
Kane's value around the league right now is completely subjective... some teams likely wouldn't want him under any circumstances, whereas others may be willing to put up with his off-ice antics so long as he produces during games. Given their Cup aspirations, need at LW, and Kerfoot's expendable contract, Toronto seems like one of the teams that should be willing to gamble on Kane. So, what would a trade look like built around Kerfoot for Kane with 50% retention? Here's my attempt...

The Trade

To San Jose: 2022 1st, Kerfoot, plus some B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system that San Jose want included

Toronto get a huge upgrade at LW on one of their top 2 lines without taking on additional salary

San Jose get a 2022 1st for essentially paying Kerfoot 7 million each of the next 2 seasons to replace Kane in their lineup, and then having 3.5 million in dead cap space in 2025 and 2026. They also get a couple of B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system they really like
He would fit right in the so called mecca circus thats for sure:laugh::laugh:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
WHAT? I had no idea. Maybe there is hope for Evander after all, but he doesn't seem to be even remotely contrite about his actions.

Not just play 800+ more games, Kane would still be a viable option for GM if we're going off precedent.

Mar 26, 2010
No team is trading a 1st for Kane.

on top of that, he would be too much of a distraction going to any team.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The off ice concerns are just too big a risk for any team to take E Kane right now. It's not happening.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Preamble

The Trade

What a mess. Toronto would probably take Kane at 50 percent retained for future consideration. That's it. No one is paying for Evander Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad