Proposal: Leafs Get A Kane After Losing Their 'Foot: TOR + S.J.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
As long as Rogers is a majority owner of the Leafs, next to no chance that Kane ends up in Toronto. They wanted nothing to do with the Roberto Osuna shit show while he was a Blue Jay several years back.

For Evander Kane the hockey player, sure that's great value for the Leafs. For Evander Kane the person? Hard pass.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if two of those issues are solved already, and on 11/30 the last will be.
Well. The league announced they’re still investigating the charges of domestic abuse separate from the covid investigation. So no. Even if he has been vaccinated (which there has been no report of) the other issues are still very much in effect

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Nobody's trading anything for Kane right now if ever, and they're especially not sending a first round pick. Clever title (as usual) but a bad trade.

Reactions: TML1990

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Ah yes, the guy who faked a vaccine passport should get traded to a Canadian team.
Right? If he couldn’t get away with faking a vaccine passport in the country that gives the least amount of craps about Covid, it’s not gonna work in Canada.

add to that the myriad other problems and I dunno if I’d even pick him up on waivers let alone trade a 1st. The Toronto media market is the last place he needs to be

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
San Jose will not be receiving any assets in a kane trade

absolutely none
That’s even with Max retention at 50%

they’ll be the ones giving up assets and they’ll be taking back a bad contract as well

This is nonsense - why would the Sharks take on more dead cap money when they can just bury him in the minors or the press box.

Not saying Sharks will get much or anything for him. Just they arent going to put themselves in a worse cap situation when they just bury him or buy him out.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Pragmatically, our club can't afford to move a 1st for another forward, let alone a forward with issues of focus. Would make moving Kadri doubly myopic.

Toronto needs the contractual leverage ELCs provide, to say nothing of the talent at said cost; this to say, I think the club would like to have talent at half the retained value of Kane's contract without the likely headache Kane would bring.

It would be something we might do though; believing against evidence to the contrary.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Preamble
Kane's value around the league right now is completely subjective... some teams likely wouldn't want him under any circumstances, whereas others may be willing to put up with his off-ice antics so long as he produces during games. Given their Cup aspirations, need at LW, and Kerfoot's expendable contract, Toronto seems like one of the teams that should be willing to gamble on Kane. So, what would a trade look like built around Kerfoot for Kane with 50% retention? Here's my attempt...

The Trade
To Toronto: Kane (50% retained)

To San Jose: 2022 1st, Kerfoot, plus some B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system that San Jose want included

Toronto get a huge upgrade at LW on one of their top 2 lines without taking on additional salary

San Jose get a 2022 1st for essentially paying Kerfoot 7 million each of the next 2 seasons to replace Kane in their lineup, and then having 3.5 million in dead cap space in 2025 and 2026. They also get a couple of B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system they really like

Evander Kane is more likely than not to be either forcibly bought out or his contract terminated. No team is going to gamble on him. He does enough worrisome off-ice activities some of which involve gambling that no team is going to touch him with a ten foot pole. If the Sharks could mutually terminate his contract tomorrow, they would.

Evander Kane's value around the league is f***ing zero.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Craig MacTavish went on to play 876 games after being convicted for manslaughter... what exactly has Kane done to warrant having his career end?

Oh, only a dozen different things. Faked a vaccination card (regardless of your opinion on the vax itself, faking the card is flouting the law directly), is involved in a current domestic abuse investigation (a la the same thing that kept Slava Voynov away from the NHL for several years, is knee deep in debt from gambling, domestic entanglements, and a dozen other things, and is literally a dogshit teammate when things don't go his way.

Also, he's just a disgusting human being per conversations I've had with some who have crossed paths with him.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
All this conjecture about what other teams would give up is fruitless. Any trade will only be consummated by SJ brass who - aside of the clear EK off-ice distractions - see nothing less than owning an asset. You might think he's a distressed asset so you can justify doing the Sharks a 'favour', but he's pretty clearly not if you take off the blinkers to look at what he brings.

He'll be back on the ice in 21 games and was our best forward last year (which people seem to keep overlooking). Would Doug Wilson like a doves-singing-and-lambs-leaping-type locker of room harmony? Maybe? But it doesn't discount his value as a hockey player. I know plenty of unlikeable people, but many of them are still damn good at their jobs.

Let's think it through:

* Sharks aren't retaining 50% on Kane, and definitely not for 4 years - just isn't happening. $14m against the cap because your team feels 'edgy' about taking his salary on? Give your heads a wobble. Besides, there is absolutely no indication the team feels it has to trade him. Kicking the tyres doesn't count - it's what any GM would do.

* This Sharks team already lacks proven scorers. Kane is the 24th highest forward for goals scored in the NHL in the last 3 (and a handful of games this one!) years. That's ahead of Gaudreau, Crosby, Tkachuk, Huberdeau, Laine and a fair few other names. This isn't Ondrej Kase here. The guy has over 500 NHL points and, even at a clip of about 20 per season for the remainder of his contract, will put him in the top 150 or so all time goalscorers in NHL history.

* Kane is a few months into his 30s. We're not looking at a guy anything beyond his prime right now, which is what Wilson would be trading as an asset. Speculating what he's worth against his contract in 3 years is largely irrelevant given how many other variables move - right now, he's very much worth $7m per and that's hard to say in San Jose given the number of bone-rattling contracts we have on the books.

You might not like Kane. But this is what Sharks brass see. Hurt feelings won't negate those circumstances which is why he's not going to go on the cheap.

There was a report over the summer that multiple players on the Sharks didn't want Kane on the team, and Doug Wilson had tried to trade him...

Report: Teammates don't want Kane back; Sharks tried for trade

So, while the Sharks don't have to trade Kane, it's possible they don't want him around anymore

As for retaining salary on Kane for 4 years, I look at it like this...

San Jose isn't likely to be a contender for the next 4 years with so much cap tied up on Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, and Couture... so what does it really matter if there's 3.5 million in dead cap space?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
A late first is not worth 7 mil in dead cap space for two seasons and 3.5 mil for another two. Sorry.

But getting nothing at all is worth 3.6, 2.6, 4.6 and 3x1.6? Also as vanilla as he is, Kerfoot absolutely finds a spot in that Sharks' lineup and if the Sharks decided to flip him next year or in the summer @50% as well he also returns some value

Retaining 50%= 11.5million in dead space over 3 years and getting a 1st rounder
Buyout=15.6 million in dead space over 6 years and getting nothing period

I feel like you should stop doubling down on this lol

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There was a report over the summer that multiple players on the Sharks didn't want Kane on the team, and Doug Wilson had tried to trade him...

Report: Teammates don't want Kane back; Sharks tried for trade

So, while the Sharks don't have to trade Kane, it's possible they don't want him around anymore

As for retaining salary on Kane for 4 years, I look at it like this...

San Jose isn't likely to be a contender for the next 4 years with so much cap tied up on Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, and Couture... so what does it really matter if there's 3.5 million in dead cap space?

The Sharks don't view themselves the same way and even if they did, there's more effective ways to rid of Kane and use that cap space.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But getting nothing at all is worth 3.6, 2.6, 4.6 and 3x1.6? Also as vanilla as he is, Kerfoot absolutely finds a spot in that Sharks' lineup and if the Sharks decided to flip him next year or in the summer @50% as well he also returns some value

Retaining 50%= 11.5million in dead space over 3 years and getting a 1st rounder
Buyout=15.6 million in dead space over 6 years and getting nothing period

I feel like you should stop doubling down on this lol

I feel like you should at least try to see the other side. They get cap space in the buyout that they can use in one scenario and a late 1st for tons of dead weight.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The Sharks don't view themselves the same way and even if they did, there's more effective ways to rid of Kane and use that cap space.

Don't leave me in suspense, tell me what those more effective ways would be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad