Proposal: Leafs Get A Kane After Losing Their 'Foot: TOR + S.J.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Preamble
Kane's value around the league right now is completely subjective... some teams likely wouldn't want him under any circumstances, whereas others may be willing to put up with his off-ice antics so long as he produces during games. Given their Cup aspirations, need at LW, and Kerfoot's expendable contract, Toronto seems like one of the teams that should be willing to gamble on Kane. So, what would a trade look like built around Kerfoot for Kane with 50% retention? Here's my attempt...

The Trade
To Toronto: Kane (50% retained)

To San Jose: 2022 1st, Kerfoot, plus some B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system that San Jose want included

Toronto get a huge upgrade at LW on one of their top 2 lines without taking on additional salary

San Jose get a 2022 1st for essentially paying Kerfoot 7 million each of the next 2 seasons to replace Kane in their lineup, and then having 3.5 million in dead cap space in 2025 and 2026. They also get a couple of B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system they really like

You think Toronto is adding assets like a 1st to take on Kane?

If his contract isn't voided SJ is going to have to pay out their butts to move him and his toxic baggage

Reactions: TML1990

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh yea. That’s exactly what Kane wants. To be in a major media market that gives a damn about hockey.

Oh yeah, like Evander Kane's personal desires and wishes will even factor into whether he has an NHL future after his suspension.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Oh yeah, like Evander Kane's personal desires and wishes will even factor into whether he has an NHL future after his suspension.

I think you missed the unhidden part I was saying. Like Kane wants to be seen as a baller and increase his profile. But he’s not gonna want to do that where the negatives also get played up. Toronto is not a place to do that, especially when it comes to a hockey player.

If he was a soccer player, it could fly under the radar. Hell, he would be fine being a Marlie. But not being a Leaf. That is the last thing he’d want. Nobody cares about the day to day going on about the Marlies and their players that aren’t top prospects. Like, nobody cares if Mac Hollowell is downtown on a Saturday morning at 6am partying like they would if it were Kane.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I gotta say - everyone seems to hate them. But I like the pun titles.

The trade itself is not good though.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Craig MacTavish went on to play 876 games after being convicted for manslaughter... what exactly has Kane done to warrant having his career end?

His contract in a hard cap era.

Nobody other than maybe a Pittsburgh even attempts to trade for him at this point. The Sharks are stuck with his contract unless they find a way to Mike Richards him.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The only team that would even make an attempt trading for him, after both SJ and a second team like Detroit takes a healthy part of his contract………

Would be Pittsburgh, playing the Crosby/Malkin can control him card. Toronto would be a hot mess from the day he arrived and the Leafs don’t need that right now.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I almost never comment on threads where people are saying this very very good player has no value but this is honestly the worst trend ("trend" was suppose to be trade but it fits too. There's some delusional virus going around here were people are asking for assets in exchange for Kane.) I've ever seen.

Kane us the most unreadable contract in the NHL and you want a first plus a useful player for him.

I was a big Kane fan and still kinda am but he won't ever play a game in the NHL again. No team is going to welcome him in their locker room and Toronto is probably the last place he should play (maybe Vegas is worse).

Only way he is treaded is to Phoenix or maybe Seattle and you attache multiple 1st and he never laces up there.

His career is over and I find it somewhat sad...

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
He's the Kaepernick of the NHL - stick a fork in him.

I understand this comparison but don't like it. Kaepernick even if you don't like his political stance (which I support) deserves to be playing in the NFL. He's a top 20 QB who made it to the superbowl as a starter at very early in his career and got completely blackballed for nothing he did that was illegal...

He has shown strength of character right or wrong in anyone's opinion qnd shouldnt be not allowed to continue his career qn less than D'Angelo shouldn't...

Reactions: Saskatoon

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I understand this comparison but don't like it. Kaepernick even if you don't like his political stance (which I support) deserves to be playing in the NFL. He's a top 20 QB who made it to the superbowl as a starter at very early in his career and got completely blackballed for nothing he did that was illegal...

He has shown strength of character right or wrong in anyone's opinion qnd shouldnt be not allowed to continue his career any less than D'Angelo shouldn't...

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

He has shown strength of character right or wrong in anyone's opinion qnd shouldnt be not allowed to continue his career qn less than D'Angelo shouldn't...

Kapernick was every bit of a locker room cancer as Evander Kane. In a lot of ways much, much worse (remember the Beats headphones fiasco? That was a huge red flag and people don't even mention it anymore). And he looked completely washed up his final season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
because most GMs in the league really don't give a shit about off ice problems or "PR" and care about production and making their teams better. as they should.
It’s obvious he has MAJOR issues with teammates as well.
If you think he has even a shred of value you’re lying to yourself

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Kapernick was every bit of a locker room cancer as Evander Kane. In a lot of ways much, much worse (remember the Beats headphones fiasco? That was a huge red flag and people don't even mention it anymore). And he looked completely washed up his final season.

Should I clutch my pearls whole you infighting me about the horrible thing he did with the headphones. Did he steal them or beat someone to death with them?

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Preamble
Kane's value around the league right now is completely subjective... some teams likely wouldn't want him under any circumstances, whereas others may be willing to put up with his off-ice antics so long as he produces during games. Given their Cup aspirations, need at LW, and Kerfoot's expendable contract, Toronto seems like one of the teams that should be willing to gamble on Kane. So, what would a trade look like built around Kerfoot for Kane with 50% retention? Here's my attempt...

The Trade
To Toronto: Kane (50% retained)

To San Jose: 2022 1st, Kerfoot, plus some B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system that San Jose want included

Toronto get a huge upgrade at LW on one of their top 2 lines without taking on additional salary

San Jose get a 2022 1st for essentially paying Kerfoot 7 million each of the next 2 seasons to replace Kane in their lineup, and then having 3.5 million in dead cap space in 2025 and 2026. They also get a couple of B level prospects if there are any in Toronto's system they really like
God no, that’s brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad