Proposal: Leafs Get A Kane After Losing Their 'Foot: TOR + S.J.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I feel like you should at least try to see the other side. They get cap space in the buyout that they can use in one scenario and a late 1st for tons of dead weight.

They get an extra 1 million of cap space in one of the years, -1 million in one of the years and then -1.6 for the next three years. Trust me I'm bending over backwards to see the other side

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They get an extra 1 million of cap space in one of the years, -1 million in one of the years and then -1.6 for the next three years. Trust me I'm bending over backwards to see the other side

Yeah, I'd take the 1.6 mil in dead cap over the zero they would be getting the next two seasons.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Don't leave me in suspense, tell me what those more effective ways would be...

If they're a rebuilding team, there are always teams looking to move cap dumps for assets like Arizona did. If they're competing, literally any other move would be more beneficial for them. This isn't that hard.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs might give up Kerfoot for cap reasons, but the first would come from the Sharks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is just.... wow, okay. Tell the Nigerian Prince I say hello

Excellent non-response. Why is it so hard to get that to a team like the Sharks, who are trying to compete for a playoff spot, neither Kerfoot, a 1st, nor whatever scrap prospect Toronto could offer helps that while not creating cap space to use to replace Kane?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Excellent non-response. Why is it so hard to get that to a team like the Sharks, who are trying to compete for a playoff spot, neither Kerfoot, a 1st, nor whatever scrap prospect Toronto could offer helps that while not creating cap space to use to replace Kane?

I'm not arguing that, I'm saying the idea that they'd rather eat MORE dead cap from buying out Kane than they would by retaining 50% and also getting zero assets as opposed to getting a 1st is insane. Seems like you thought a Kane buyout would be the more financially prudent decision, and when that was shown to be incorrect you decided to still die on that hill

I don't see a better offer coming around for Kane (nor even an offer this good) for quite some time, but it still looks better than a buyout

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

Do you expect them to be successful in their pursuit of a playoff spot this season?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not arguing that, I'm saying the idea that they'd rather eat MORE dead cap from buying out Kane than they would by retaining 50% and also getting zero assets as opposed to getting a 1st is insane. Seems like you thought a Kane buyout would be the more financially prudent decision, and when that was shown to be incorrect you decided to still die on that hill

I don't see a better offer coming around for Kane (nor even an offer this good) for quite some time, but it still looks better than a buyout

They don't eat more dead cap space is the problem you have. This frontloads the dead weight even further is all it does. 7 mil for two and 3.5 mil for two more for a late 1st is not appealing compared to even just 3.5 mil in cap space immediately. It still is the more financially prudent decision.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
They don't eat more dead cap space is the problem you have. This frontloads the dead weight even further is all it does. 7 mil for two and 3.5 mil for two more for a late 1st is not appealing compared to even just 3.5 mil in cap space immediately. It still is the more financially prudent decision.

I'd say it's also disingenuous to call Kerfoot dead weight when he's a useful player albeit overpaid about 500k. He's better than the majority of the Sharks bottom six

Even if you were to consider him so, calling it dead weight for this season when Kane is unlikely to even suit up for the Sharks at 7 million doesn't seem fair, at worst it's reallocating bad money. I would be very surprised if fellow Sharks' fans on here agree with your stance

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd say it's also disingenuous to call Kerfoot dead weight when he's a useful player albeit overpaid about 500k. He's better than the majority of the Sharks bottom six

Even if you were to consider him so, calling it dead weight for this season when Kane is unlikely to even suit up for the Sharks at 7 million doesn't seem fair, at worst it's reallocating bad money. I would be very surprised if fellow Sharks' fans on here agree with your stance

He is actually not better and I wouldn't pay 3.5 mil for that anyway. And other Sharks fans have already expressed similar sentiment.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
OP has made a couple of these now. His whole goal is to make a pun in the title - actual value or sense be damned. That being said, there's no pun potential in adding a 1st so why do that?

I got the same feeling. He makes the headline then fills in the trade for it to "work" with his joke.

It would feel like cheating to create the title first, plus I enjoy the challenge of seeing what I can come up with after the proposal is typed up...

Of course, anyone who thinks I'm lying is welcome to send a proposal my way for me to name

Reactions: Deen

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Problem with Kane is that his playing ability is almost irrelevant at this point. The off-ice issues are likely NHL career-ending.
He's done.

He'll never play another game for San Jose or any other NHL franchise.

The Sharks would terminate his contract if they could. Since they can't, they will send him home and buy him out at the next opportunity to do so.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Craig MacTavish went on to play 876 games after being convicted for manslaughter... what exactly has Kane done to warrant having his career end?
If you're comparing Evander Kane to Craig MacTavish, that's all we need to know. You should give your head a shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad